PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Advice/LED Wall Info needed

noize_unit
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey Guys,

I've been lookin all over for a viable and affordable solution to recreating the LED panels you see at big festivals and scaling it down to put in a room in my place tha i want to turn into a chill / nightclub area where i have my DJ gear, now I've brought this subject up before, was looking for insight to DIY realized that was gonna be just as expensive and alot more work than the pre-built ones made by Chauvet, LEDgo, Show Vision, etc. well while browsing for other lights i want to incorporate into this setup i found a company based out of china (i know :( ) Lightupvision they have LED video curtains similar to the Chauvet motion drape except this one has better pixel pitch has a PC interface and is bigger (2m x 3m) and they have sizes even bigger than this, priced at a 5th of what i could get the chauvet for, now for my situation where im not going to be using this out not renting it out, just going to be installed in this one place, i feel that spending the 100 bucks this cost is much more viable than the 1-2k per 20x30" panel i would get (plus: these would be more HD resolution / con: way more expensive than i want to spend) has anyone had experience with this company or any similar, i would love to stick to non china lights but seeing as i think its ridiculous to spend 2g on something i would seldom use in comparison to say a tv, i feel im running out of options, as the chauvet doesnt have the pixel pitch required to do more HD visuals, which is what i want.

other lights ive decided on:

2x Chauvet colorrail
3x Chauvet Color pallete
2x Chauvet techno strobe (non RGB)
2x Chauvet intimidator scan 300 LED
2x Chauvet intimidator spot 250 LED
2x Chauvet Scorpion GVC Fat Beams

What else do you guys think would add to this, or any fixtures you would replace or not include. im trying to keep this as affordable as i can but want it to be legit enough as i want more DJ gear and some audio gear as well

Synaxis
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
There is a reason why it's so cheap. If the LED curtain malfunctions, do you really want to have to send it all the way back to China, and having to deal with their "return/replacement" department who probably can barely speak English?

How big is the wall that you want to cover in LED panels?

noize_unit
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
well i dont have exact dimension, i dont want it to be way over done... but i think it'd be cool to have the wall behind the dj booth 'covered' having it start just below the top of the booth, it would prolly be a 2 penel high 4 panel wide or 3 panel wide (AFAIK most panels are around 20x20 or 20x30 or something)

maybe even just have 3 panels mounted to the front of the booth and use moving heads and the wash lights for visuals in air

I really like the look of a booth that has the front with panels and then on either side of the booth have uneven, different size panels spaced out and have the visuals spread out to all panels kinda like a puzzle that has its pieces not all put together (sorry hard to describe) but thats a little overkill, cool, but more coin than im willing to spend.

my goal with all this was to have LED panels/curtain produce HD visuals and wash and then incorporate a couple more wash lights and sprinkle some moving heads, laser, strobes, and fx lights in but not have them overpower the LED visuals

I was looking into the Epix bar and Epix strip by chauvet. Thats the look im going for but those units require proprietary crap to use them and imo are overpriced as you could get LED panels and have a better setup for the same price (i guess it depends on what your trying to accomplish)

I love LEDs idky but they are sexy (i dont even know how thats possible :lol:) , but i think when it comes down to it no matter how much i research this i think its going to come down to settling with a short throw projector ( lame but does the job) or cough-up the serious coin needed for LED Panels and their proprietary media servers and dongles

EDIT: I know this might seem ridiculous, but this project will be over a period of time unless i win the lotto or something. plan on doing it in phases, getting a couple wash lights, then a couple more washes and some strobes, then some fx and lasers, then LED panel/curtain (depends on what i can find, might be the first thing i get)

Mystic
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
By the time you're ready to buy an LED curtain, they will probably cost a lot less.

Don't buy overseas unless you want a massive headache. There is a reason we warn people about it and a reason these companies are still in business (because the idio... people didn't listen to us and went and gave these companies their money anyway).

noize_unit
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
By the time you're ready to buy an LED curtain, they will probably cost a lot less.

Don't buy overseas unless you want a massive headache. There is a reason we warn people about it and a reason these companies are still in business (because the idio... people didn't listen to us and went and gave these companies their money anyway).

AHAHA Touche... ya im trying to keep a 'chauvet' package going (idky, maybe OCD) and ya prolly best to wait on that addition until prices come down, i have a feeling in the next 2 years or so LED lighting is gonna have a huge change and become more affordable. Thanks for your guys' input on the LED panel, out of curiosity what MFG has the best Price/Performance ratio for LED Panels

Also any input or ideas for the overall setup would be welcome :)

Mystic
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Keep in mind that depending on how large the room is, most LED wall won't be "HD". You need to be about 20+ feet away from a screen to actually really be able to tell images on it because most have a low pixel ratio.

Synaxis
05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
AHAHA Touche... ya im trying to keep a 'chauvet' package going (idky, maybe OCD) and ya prolly best to wait on that addition until prices come down, i have a feeling in the next 2 years or so LED lighting is gonna have a huge change and become more affordable. Thanks for your guys' input on the LED panel, out of curiosity what MFG has the best Price/Performance ratio for LED Panels

Also any input or ideas for the overall setup would be welcome :)

FYI, Blizzard Lighting is um, "experimenting" with some LED drapes/panels.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=395091390502605&set=a.194696653875414.50339.127407587270988&type=1

No "official" releases yet ;)