PDA

View Full Version : A few easy questions regarding audio cables...

Badger
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a feeling that at least one of these questions has already been answered here since DJF 2.0 started. I did a search for "XLR" but it didn't give me the exact answer I needed. If any of these questions have been asked/answered before, I apologize for the redundancy. I feel like these are "things I should have already known," but here goes...

I recently got a used Xone:22 with a pre-installed Innofader, and I love it. However, I've noticed that the master outputs are strictly XLR, and I don't have a lot of XLR cables.

I have a gig coming up this weekend in which I am plugging my mixer into another company's amp/speaker system. Here are my questions:

1) I have some Accu-Cable 50-foot DMX cables, and I'm not using any DMX lighting at this event. Would it be okay to use those in place of XLR cables to connect my mixer to their amp?

2) I don't use monitor speakers; I never have. I always mix in my headphones. If I were to use the Xone's RCA monitor outs and run my audio with a long pair of decent RCA cables, then connect to their amps with a pair of RCA-to-1/4" adapters... would that work?

3) In the past, before the Xone, I used some regular 1/4" audio cables to send from my mixer to my amps, and then special 1/4" "speaker cables" to run the audio from the amps to the speakers. Are "speaker wires" okay to use between the mixer and the amplification equipment? Is there a major difference between "speaker wires" and normal 1/4" audio wire? (The reason I ask is this: If I can connect my mixer to my Aphex 204 Aural Exciter unit with a short pair of XLRs, I can then send the audio from the Aphex 204 to their amps with a pair of long speaker wires... and I'm wanting to make sure that's acceptable.)

Thank you very much in advance; I appreciate the assistance greatly!

:badger:

ampnation
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
There are differences between balanced line cable and DMX cable having to do with shielding from my understanding but I believe it is more of a problem using XLR as DMX than what you want to do. Haven't done this personally.

I don't recommend RCA cables longer than about 10 feet.

There's no such thing as a "regular" 1/4" audio cable. There are unbalanced and balanced applications and balanced require three conductors. Speaker wire has two conductors and instrument cables have two conductors. Both have TS 1/4" connectors meaning two conductors and one insulator.

It's Tuesday. Head to monoprice and find a pair of balanced cables unless your "regular" audio cables have TRS (3 conductors and 2 insulator stripes) and/or XLR connectors. See what it costs to ship in time for the weekend. If they have two TRS 1/4" plugs, buy a pair of TRS female/XLR female adapters to connect to your Xone 22.

windspeed36
05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I have a feeling that at least one of these questions has already been answered here since DJF 2.0 started. I did a search for "XLR" but it didn't give me the exact answer I needed. If any of these questions have been asked/answered before, I apologize for the redundancy. I feel like these are "things I should have already known," but here goes...

I recently got a used Xone:22 with a pre-installed Innofader, and I love it. However, I've noticed that the master outputs are strictly XLR, and I don't have a lot of XLR cables.

I have a gig coming up this weekend in which I am plugging my mixer into another company's amp/speaker system. Here are my questions:

1) I have some Accu-Cable 50-foot DMX cables, and I'm not using any DMX lighting at this event. Would it be okay to use those in place of XLR cables to connect my mixer to their amp?

2) I don't use monitor speakers; I never have. I always mix in my headphones. If I were to use the Xone's RCA monitor outs and run my audio with a long pair of decent RCA cables, then connect to their amps with a pair of RCA-to-1/4" adapters... would that work?

3) In the past, before the Xone, I used some regular 1/4" audio cables to send from my mixer to my amps, and then special 1/4" "speaker cables" to run the audio from the amps to the speakers. Are "speaker wires" okay to use between the mixer and the amplification equipment? Is there a major difference between "speaker wires" and normal 1/4" audio wire? (The reason I ask is this: If I can connect my mixer to my Aphex 204 Aural Exciter unit with a short pair of XLRs, I can then send the audio from the Aphex 204 to their amps with a pair of long speaker wires... and I'm wanting to make sure that's acceptable.)

Thank you very much in advance; I appreciate the assistance greatly!

1. XLR and DMX cables are wired differently internally, XLR is an audio line cable whereas DMX is a signal cable. The last time I saw someone try to run DMX as a replacement for XLR there was a huge ammount of noise in his system.

2. I personally am not a fan of going more than 2m with RCA because they are unbalanced and therefore over distance, add more noise to the system.

3. Again, using 1/4" speaker cable in replace of 1/4" TRS will greately increase the noise in you're system. Overall, if you can find a pair of XLR leads to cover the distance, either call the company supplying the system and see if they have any or call a local hire centre and hire a couple.

jayhwk
06-02-2012, 11:04 PM
1. XLR and DMX cables are wired differently internally, XLR is an audio line cable whereas DMX is a signal cable. The last time I saw someone try to run DMX as a replacement for XLR there was a huge ammount of noise in his system.

Then there was something else wrong with his system. DMX cable is fine to use as mic cable, but mic cables are not fine to use for DMX signals (it'll often work, until it doesn't, suddenly, in the middle of your show). DMX is very picky about the characteristics of a cable, audio not so much.

Speaker wires are large, two conductor, and most importantly, unshielded. You cannot use them for signals that have not been amplified. 1/4" connectors suck anyway (they're noisy when you plug them in and they fall out easily), so I'd stick with cables that have XLR connectors.

Badger
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I want to apologize for not coming back and responding sooner. Thank you VERY much to all three of you for your assistance. +Rep to all of you.

I ended up heading out to a local musicians' shop, buying a pair of 10-foot XLR cables, and adding a pair of 5-foot XLR-to-1/4" adapters. In all, they cost me about $50.00, but I'm happy to report that they worked like a proverbial charm.

Thanks again!