PDA

View Full Version : RCF-705 ART Subwoofer VS the Yorkville 720Phow do they sound?

Evolved
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Looking to get two to go with a pair of RCF-312A's

http://www.pssl.com/RCF-ART-705-AS-Actvie-Bandpass-Subwoofer-

http://www.pssl.com/Yorkville-LS720P-15-720W-Powered-Subwoofer-

They are both 15" I saw that one guys demo on Youtube of the 705A although I know that in no way
can give me an idea of how they sound.

Was initially planning to go with 1 and then a second Yorkville 720P
Just wanted to know if anyone has heard both of these and can draw their own
conclusions to compare. Music style is house, progressive house, tech house and variations.

epik1
02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't know about this specific model, but I usually try to stay away from Yorkville, I find their subs to be really murky.

Evolved
02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't know about this specific model, but I usually try to stay away from Yorkville, I find their subs to be really murky.

Can you explain further? How do you define murky?

Al Poulin
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Both subs sound excellent. As far as performance, both will be very similar. The advantage of the RCF is the hi-pass outputs that will send a filtered signal (removing the deeper low frequencies from your tops). The RCF is more $$$ however... I own the 720P and love it. Proper placement (boundary loading) is important to get the most output out of this sub (corner or close wall)

Al

Evolved
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Both subs sound excellent. As far as performance, both will be very similar. The advantage of the RCF is the hi-pass outputs that will send a filtered signal (removing the deeper low frequencies from your tops). The RCF is more $$$ however... I own the 720P and love it. Proper placement (boundary loading) is important to get the most output out of this sub (corner or close wall)

Al

This is interesting regarding the HPF you mention in the RCF. Wouldn't this be ideal or required to be able to use your mixers EQ more effectively?

And, since the Yorkville 720P does not have this - what do people do instead? Do they use a separate HPF component of some kind to separate the sounds?

Al Poulin
02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

That's like saying JBL cabs are middy - and applying this to all JBL models...

Yorkville (like other manufacturers) produces quite a few different subs - EACH ONE sounding different. The bandpass design models will sound more one-notey as the frequency response of bandpass subs is not very accurate and tends to be much stronger on certain frequencies. (the positive is that these subs produce lots of SPL for their size) Bandpass subs would be the LS/NX200 and LS701P. The 801P can be somewhat boomy, but small EQ adjustments or even selecting the loud setting instead of the deep can help with this. The 720P sounds VERY good, although if not placed near a wall or corner can seem to limit rather quickly. As always, (and would also be the case with the RCF) a close coupled pair works much better.

Al

Al Poulin
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
This is interesting regarding the HPF you mention in the RCF. Wouldn't this be ideal or required to be able to use your mixers EQ more effectively?

And, since the Yorkville 720P does not have this - what do people do instead? Do they use a separate HPF component of some kind to separate the sounds?

The RCF tops do not have much in terms of response below 80hz, so I don't worry about sending them a hi-passed signal. I just make sure to NOT boost my lows on my mixer channel eqs and instead increase the gain on the sub(s) to get the best balance between tops and sub(s). I simply set the sub's low pass at 90hz and the sub(s) and tops integrate well. As always, avoiding big EQ boosts is important as it gobbles up available headroom and is hard on your woofers and horns.

Al

ampnation
02-11-2012, 10:54 AM
What people do, many times, is they use either an active crossover, or a DSP unit which would have the crossover plus other functions. DSP units are typically marketed as loudspeaker management systems.