PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trading my DN-S3700's for CDJ 850's...

Sam Whitman
05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Thoughts on this idea? Using with Serato...

DJNR
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM
If you really want to go to Pioneer, sure. Personally the 850s feel cheap, and they don't really have any features that are really groundbreaking vs your current Denon's

Irrational_Fear
05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
I'd echo what DJNR said above.

After looking very closely at those two decks for ages I came to the conclusion that in my opinion the 850s arn't in the same league as the 3700s (except price), so unless you desperately want the Pioneer feel I'd stick. The 900s are a better comparison, but more money. All the current Pio CDJs feel plasticky compared to the 3700s (and I say that as someone who chose the cdj900s over the 3700s) so that is something to consider.

But if you are using Serato anyway, arn't the CDJ features rather moot? Wouldn't it be a better option to pick up a used pair of 800s and save a chunk of cash?

It seems an odd swap as most people who go for the 3700s want the spinning platter etc, and so wouldn't want to go the CDJ route- what are your thoughts on this?

The fact you are considering CDJs suggests you arn't fussed about the platter, but be aware that Pio CDJs sure are an expensive way to control software. In which case you may as well save money and go for the one with the least 'extra features' as your software will do all this. If you want the best of both worlds, i.e software/non software use I'd go with the 900s, otherwise if just software the 850s probably make sense. But then surely a scond hand 800/1000 could do the same job cheaper?

eleong
05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
you could check out the 3900s from denon

alazydj
05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
yeah, CDJ 850s with Rekord Box would be good...but with Serato you're just wasting potential. Might as well get turntables.

hoff
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
As DJNR said, the 850's feel cheap. I was shocked when mine came in the mail at how cheap and plastic they felt. Proof of this being structural is that they are very prone to scratches/scuffs... and I'm not talking paint scuffs or scratches, I mean you barely have to rub anything on em and the plastic gives way leaving undesirable black scratches IN the plastic.

I got rid of mine in less than a few months..

Oh, and beyond that the feature-set is discustingly limited.