PDA

View Full Version : Asking for setup advice with my current lighting gear

yarrick68
05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I am looking to create a nice looking light show for weddings, parties, ect, but am having issues with what is too much and what is too little. I have aquired some gear over the past 2 years but don't really have any direction. What I want is the best visual feel with the least amount of lights as these things are quite heavy. Also I don't own a moving van and want to pack my show up in my Chevy Traverse.

As for control I bought the emulation dmx control software but if I would be better off with a hardware controller I would like to know. Also I have some crappy old lighting stand so whatever advice I get I would like to know what to buy to put the lights on as well.

Ok here is what I have on hand to work with...
5-Martin SCX-700 (Mirror Scanners)
2-Martin SCX-800 (Barrel Scanners)
4-Chauvet Q-spot 152 (Moving Yokes)
1-Chauvet Colorstrip Mini (LED Light)
6-American DJ Accu Scan 250 (Mirror Scanners)
1-American DJ Galaxian 3D Laser Light Effect

Thanks ahead of time for any advise.

Mystic
05-29-2012, 12:04 AM
With that gear, I would focus on getting some truss to hang it from. There are a lot of options out there, I would personally look at Global box truss as an option.
You're also going to need things like clamps and safety cables for everything.

DJ Higgumz
05-29-2012, 06:38 AM
That sounds like a ton of lights! If I were you I would get some more pars to do uplighting, provided you have trussing already

Synaxis
05-29-2012, 08:17 AM
With that gear, I would focus on getting some truss to hang it from. There are a lot of options out there, I would personally look at Global box truss as an option.
You're also going to need things like clamps and safety cables for everything.

I agree with Mystic. Get some nice trussing from Global Truss, and you can use that to make a goal post type system, or make some truss totems.

Something like this:

http://www.ukexhibition.co.uk/acatalog/kit_3_gantry_systems.jpg

Or this:

http://www.venuesupply.com/images_products/Totem3.jpg

Or a combination of both.

You would probably need to get some white covers for the truss, and some Blizzard Pucks to uplight the inside of the truss as well as the rest of the room.

Lighting wise, you have a nice selection.

I would keep the Martins and AccuScans, and get rid of the Q-Spot 152s. Or perhaps sell the Q-spots and AccuScans and get some nice moving heads to place on top of the Truss Totems.

But besides the stuff you already have, Look into Blizzard Lighting's Puck 3NX. That would be my next step, especially, since you only have a single Colorstrip, and could probably use more wash lighting.

Whines
05-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Good stands make life a lot easier. :)

You don't have many wash lights. I'm a big fan of colorstrips/megapixels/striplights for that role. But you have so many lights (nice ones!) that a good stand to put them on would be warranted.