PDA

View Full Version : Calling out: Trance

RikkiGTR
05-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Thought I'd give this a go.

Rules:

1. About 30 minutes.
2. Have to include a couple of 90's tracks.
3. Decks, controllers, MIDIs all acceptable.
4. Seasoned DJs or beginners.
5. Sync if you wish, although I don't.
6. Must be submitted by June 3rd.

Effects and all that are fine by me, but just record your set live and in one go.

If you win I will change my signature to "I worship at the alter of [your username]" for a calendar month :D

RikkiGTR
05-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Come on guys or gals!

RikkiGTR
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Seriously?

Abe Linkon
06-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Right here. Ill do it.

RikkiGTR
06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Fuck yeah :bslayer:

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 04:25 AM
My mix is ready, will upload it soon. Although I have an awful hangover so the climb up into the loft is not appealing. Have to burn to CD, transfer to this PC, then upload. A few more coffees should bring me round :D

You still in Abe Linkon?

Abe Linkon
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Recording it now.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
How do I encode mine to MP3? Or is it already an MP3? Recorded directly from Traktor Pro 2, but the file ends in .wma :confused:

I'm not computer-tech-minded so I'm a bit miffed.

Synergy
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
from traktor should be a wav.

JonAvalon
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
How do I encode mine to MP3? Or is it already an MP3? Recorded directly from Traktor Pro 2, but the file ends in .wma :confused:

I'm not computer-tech-minded so I'm a bit miffed.

Since Traktor doesn't have the option to do MP3, you will have to convert the WAV file to MP3. There are plenty of programs out there, although an easy one that i just use is Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Open the file in it and encode to 192 MP3.

You can also try this site that can do it right in the browser (although i think there might be a limit to the size of the file you can upload, since its WAV i'm betting its a huge file)
http://media.io/

JonAvalon
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
To do so with Audacity, first you will need to download the "LAME MP3 encoder".

Which you can get here for Windows, just install anywhere. Documents or your main music folder will be ok, just somewhere safe that you know and wont worry about accidentally deleted.
http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe

Here it is if using OSX
http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/Lame_Library_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX.dmg

The Reason i say to get the encoder installed first, is because you will need that encoder file later when you first try to covert to MP3.

When you open Audacity, just open/load the WAV file or whatever you recorded with Traktor. Give it a second or so for it to fully load, since it is a big file it might take some time.

Then go to the top and click Edit, go down the list to find and click Preferences..

Once the Preferences box pops up, locate "Libraries" on the left side. And under the MP3 export library at the top, click Locate to find that LAME MP3 encoder file you installed on your computer. Which is also why i mention to install it in a safe place that you will know.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/Jonavalon829/preferencelibraries.png

Once that is done, just click OK

Next all you have to do now is click File, and go down to and click Export. Once doing so, this box will open. Just select where you want to save it at, and at this point you can also rename the file as instructed on the djfbattle page or you can do so later on.

Before you do anything else, you have to make sure to click the Save As Type < Select MP3 Files
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/Jonavalon829/audacitymp3.png

One final thing is to click Options on the right side of the save as type you just did and then this box will open, here is where you can select the quality of the MP3. In this case we want to select 192kbps, you can leave Bit Ratio mode to constant and channel mode to joint stereo.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/Jonavalon829/audacitymp3quality.png

After that is done, go ahead and click OK and click save.

The converting process will begin, and you will have yourself a Mp3 file.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
It's not working. Keeps saying the application cannot open. This is so frustrating.

Audacity is saying I cannot open the battle mix because the format is not supported. Apparently I have to convert it to WAV or another format that is supported :confused:

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I give up.

Abe Linkon
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Having issues uploading it. The site keeps crashing. I'll upload it at work tonight.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Can I not just upload it to Soundcloud and then the moderators could take it from there?

I'm getting nowhere. None of the programs are working, I've had countless warnings about dangerous files; I'm just going around in circles here.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
GODAMNIT it just. keeps. FAILING :mad:

Synergy
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
how big is the file? send it to me and ill do it and send u the mp3 file.

Synergy
06-03-2012, 04:54 PM
put it up on like zippyshare, make it private, send me the link ill convert. should be easy man.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM
PLEASE make this easy for me! :(

I can upload to SoundCloud, make it private but activate downloads. I send you teh linkage, you download it, then I delete it.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Oh for the love of fucking Christ. Now SoundCloud have blocked it on grounds of copyright because of one of the tracks.
File size is 31.5Mb - the maximum I can email is 25Mb.

Infuriating doesn't come close.

JonAvalon
06-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Riikki just go ahead and upload it to the server and i'l try to get it converted for you.

RikkiGTR
06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Right. Uploading now.

Honestly I'm not trying to be a nuisance. Baffles me why it's so easy for everyone else, but as soon as I go to do it, all the problems go full wanker on me.

EDIT: Done.

JonAvalon
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Hmm guess it really was a WMA, not WAV as i originally thought.

Anyways converting it now, i couldn't open it in Audacity either. Format issue for some reason, its uploading now.

BTW did you burn to CD and re-rip? cause Traktor normally exports WAV files. If you did so and was curious as to why it came out wma, then its because of Windows Media Player (which i am guessing you used). WMP has it set to rip as WMA for default, but you can change that setting to be MP3 at whatever rate you want. So play around with that for next time as well. Or take that uncompressed WAV file that came straight from traktor and pop it in Audacity to convert to MP3, no need to burn and rip.

:edit: Rikki is confirmed

Abe Linkon
06-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Sorry for the long wait on reply. Got called into work for what I thought would be 30 minutes and it turned out to be 12 hours. E3 prep and all :/

Anyways, it's uploaded.

edit:
So being oh so awesome and all. I did the best thing ever and forgot "2. Have to include a couple of 90's tracks." when I recorded earlier. That is a default, unless I am mistaken.

RikkiGTR
06-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Never worry if there's no 90s tracks in there, I'm still happy enough as long as the battle commences :D

*but people might get all nostalgic with mine ;)

RikkiGTR
06-04-2012, 05:01 AM
BTW did you burn to CD and re-rip?

Yeah I have my laptop in the loft with my set-up, which I only use for Traktor to keep crashes and that to a minimum.
I burn to CD, then re-rip onto this PC downstairs.

EDIT: Changed settings to now rip in MP3 format. Never realised I could do that.

Synergy
06-04-2012, 07:36 AM
why not just unplug the laptop, connect it to the web and then do it that way?
audacity is a small but powerful program.

RikkiGTR
06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
It's sorted now anyway. Anything I rip to my main PC from now on will do so in MP3 format.

Dave Porter
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
is it to late to join in?

RikkiGTR
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah Dave, closing date was yesterday.

Abe Linkon
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Well, I'm going to be mixing all week. And then some. My recording showed I lost a lot of my touch, so if either of want to do a RO8 style setup or something like that, I would be willing. Trance battles are hard enough to find.

JonAvalon
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Abe is confirmed, posting thread.

:edit: Posted
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?8759-RikkiGTR-vs-AbeLinkon-Trance-Battle