PDA

View Full Version : DJ Camp

squirrelmaster
05-26-2012, 12:42 AM
The purpose of DJ Camp is to improve on a set/sets over a 30-day period. There are different ways we can do this, so you guys let me know what you think.

What I propose is we choose a set/genre that we want to improve on.

Here's how it works:
1) Grab enough songs for a 30-minute set.
2) Record a 30-minute set
3) Practice that set for a week.
4) At the end of the week, post a new mix and show your improvement in that set.

We can do a different set for three consecutive weeks.

For the fourth week, we will practice putting all three sets together as you would for a party.

For example:
Week 1: trance
Week 2: disco
Week 3: rap
Week 4: Mix it all up or play one genre after the other with smooth transitions

What do you guys think? Anyone interested?

There is also Scratch Camp (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?8252-Scratch-Camp), which is a similar concept, but for scratching--for those who are interested.

nolimitz
05-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Sounds real good. I wish i had some 1200's, a mixer and SSL. Gotta put in work on the RMX. I do something similar where i start with the same two songs every time I step up and expand from there
Do you know any places in the queens area where you can find some Turntables?

Im in Long Island but pretty much at the Queens/L.I border but i'm from the Woodside, near Flushing/Astoria.

squirrelmaster
05-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd try Craigslist. Well, unless you want brand new decks...I'm near the Jamaica LIRR...I guess you're not to far from me.

Paulie65m
05-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Craigslist is your best bet, I am always looking for beat up tts to refurbish them , I seen good prices out there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DJArmani
05-27-2012, 12:23 AM
yo, this idea is DOPE. Message me when you start it. Btw, I have technics and sl so I can do the scratch camp.

squirrelmaster
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
yo, this idea is DOPE. Message me when you start it. Btw, I have technics and sl so I can do the scratch camp.

Nice. Let's start uploading by Friday or Saturday, June 1st and 2nd. This way, we can begin by Sunday, June 3rd. Cool, Armani?

DJArmani
05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah cool message me more info about what mix to put genre wise, and everything else. Or you can just reply on here.

squirrelmaster
05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
You can do whatever you want. One of my sets will be jungle, another is probably gonna be latin, third one probably funk.

Whatever you want to practice with. The point is to motivate us to practice. Getting lazy and not practicing is so easy. If you're practicing by yourself, sometimes a little motivation is helpful. So, that's what this is about. Small goals, one big step.

DJArmani
05-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Alright no problem, but I won't be able to upload till probably Saturday. So see you then !

squirrelmaster
05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Cool. I plan to upload by Saturday, as well. I'm looking foward to this!

squirrelmaster
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I'll probably record and upload this evening...

DJArmani
06-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Same... not sure what genre yet but it will most likely be bmore, hiphop, or electro.

squirrelmaster
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Here's my pre-DJ camp mix. It's 30 minutes. It was going OK, but then, a few minutes before the end, I choked and just kept scratching where I thought I would have mixed it in. It was pretty bad.

So, I'll have to learn that record better for sure, along with the rest of the set. I had a bunch of records, but I'm just gonna practice with the ones that I picked for the set. I was just freestyling from a bunch of songs I grabbed.

Anyway, this is all breaks here. And all 45s. And it's easy to mess up with 45s, which doesn't help me at all. Here's the link. (http://soundcloud.com/squizzle-mizzle-djf/squirrel-pre-dj-camp-june-2012)

BTW, it's the first take.

squirrelmaster
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I just practiced for a bit, and 45s really are a bit tricky. You gotta be on your toes, because the tracks end in a few short minutes. It's hella fun!

digi16v
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
SQUIRREL!!!!

whats up bro? glad to see your still around and having camp. I just got my 1200's setup again. May have to take on scratch camp again. I improved from last time but I havent tried any new cuts since then, well not on a consistency like we/I did before. This summer we will have to hook up and spin.

DJArmani
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
sorry i wasn't able to upload it! I'm preparing for a gig this thursday. Is it cool if I just record my liveset and upload it so I can see what I can do better live?

squirrelmaster
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
SQUIRREL!!!!

whats up bro? glad to see your still around and having camp. I just got my 1200's setup again. May have to take on scratch camp again. I improved from last time but I havent tried any new cuts since then, well not on a consistency like we/I did before. This summer we will have to hook up and spin.

Aww yeah!!! Good to hear from you! I hope we can scratch it up a bit!

squirrelmaster
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
sorry i wasn't able to upload it! I'm preparing for a gig this thursday. Is it cool if I just record my liveset and upload it so I can see what I can do better live?

Whatever works for you! Go for it!

digi16v
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Squirrel..
Havent been lurking like I used to with 1.0 vibe is surely different. but non the less happy DJF is back up. yes sir we wil have to meet up to get a session going. You still doing the residency gigs? Will have to come by if you are.

DJArmani
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I just realized everyone in this thread is from the tristate.. lol

squirrelmaster
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
haha wtf?! That's right!

I just finished practicing a bit with my set. I have to learn to control myself because whenever you're doubling up, it's so tempting to go back and forth like crazy. But the truth is that you can't just go back and forth--you have to pay attention to the flow of the song. If the song is in the middle and I bring it back to the beginning, it won't make any sense. The flow will be off. I'm learning, though...

digi16v
06-08-2012, 12:20 PM
@ Armani..
true dat we are from the same area..
where in north jersey are you?
me - Newark.

maybe next rock and soul event we can all meet up.

Paulie65m
06-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Rock n soul events are nice its been a while since I went to maybe we should get a djf meetup next event

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DJArmani
06-08-2012, 10:00 PM
@digi16v ; I'm from Union ! & I honestly don't know what a Rock & Soul Event is :uhoh:

squirrelmaster
06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
So, here's my post-DJ camp mix. I don't know if there's a noticeable difference, but I learned the songs much better, and I'm trying not to just go back and forth at random when doubling up. There's a flow that you gotta keep...