PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rock is mad about Lupe Fiasco using T.R.O.Y.

Sigma
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
The sad thing is, there'll be people reading this that are thinking "WTF is 'T.R.O.Y'?", but anyway, I digress, haha.

Here's Pete's tweets: -

TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
I think lupe is a great artist, I'm that angry with him but it's a major label idea. I can feel it.

29m Akhil Munagala ‏@mocha_latte12
@PeteRock needs to chill the fuck out. Lupe killed TROY

28m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
@mocha_latte12 STFU!!!!!!

I'm still Dat nigga out here believe it or don't. Ur ignorance not mine, lame duck bullshit.

29m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
That record is dear to me yo fuck deez niggas!!!!

30m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
I'm not flattered @ all. Dat shit is wack, and the producer should be ashamed of his fuckin self. Smh

32m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
U guys have been violated with no Vaseline. So fucked up this business smmfh!!! And I don't care who got something to say about it, kiss my

33m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
So untalented and unoriginal. Makes me feel like I'm truly the best that ever did it. Yo hev and t-Roy I love and miss da shit outta y'all

37m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
This business can be so lame, sometimes I make beats blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back and still these cats can't be original to

Who ever Re-created that didn't do a good job @ all. #nohate

41m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
Man I'm a lupe fan and everything but TROY was my homie man. I think about him and Hev every fucking day!!!! Smh

43m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
It's so hard for folks to make original music, I possess that, but these dudes are scared of that and this is supposed to be HIP HOP?

44m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
Outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!

45m TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock
No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made
And the song in question: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOjcm0zYUs

DjDisArm
05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
fuck lupe

Dj_4-$hure
05-26-2012, 12:57 PM
It sucks because the producer didn't do shit with the sample. I would hate to be on bad terms with the legend Pete Rock.

Nies One
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Ouch, I wouldn't have touched that track....

DJNR
05-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I read something on some Hip Hop forum that they have already sorted things out. Lupe is still mad at him though I guess.

JuxtaPoser
05-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Lupe is still mad at him though I guess.

Lupe is still mad at HIM? What grounds could he have to be mad at him?

Spoiler: They Reminisce Over You came out when Lupe was 8 years old...

DJNR
05-26-2012, 02:08 PM
"Lupe is still VERY pissed at Pete Rock: Lupe called into “Sway in the Morning” on Sirius XM, where he broke down what really happened, calling foul on Pete Rock: “We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional.’ I reminded him that it’s already been remade and put out by a ton of n----s, and he said ‘Lupe that’s my man he’s got my blessings.’ Lupe went on the explain that he couldn’t even clear the sample through Pete Rock since he didn’t own the publishing rights.

“The funky part is we ain’t even gotta go through Pete Rock to clear it, because he don’t even own it. Then he comes on Twitter the day after the joint released and bodies me like that, and bodies my crew like that, and just s--ts on us like that, that’s foul,” he said. “Then we finally get on the phone we didn’t have a f---in’ conversation—we weren’t on the phone like ‘oh I love you,’ I was hot, my crew was hot, the label was hot. He wasn’t just on the phone with me, he was on the phone with 6 people—like Pete what’s wrong with you? Going in on us like that? We trying to pay homage to you, literally trying to page homage to you. If there’s anybody in the industry who gonna hold you down more than anybody its Lupe."

Hamza21
05-26-2012, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LTzOzxNto

Sean
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
So let me get this right, Lupe made his track using someone else's track and now he's mad at the original maker of the song???

He's crazy. He says himself we reached out to him and he said no don't do it without me involved, but we did it anyways and now I'm mad at him :lol:

DJ Que Yi
05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I downloaded the track earlier this evening and my comments were that that song is sacred and while I respect and like Lupe for his creativity and appreciation of classic Hip Hop he could have used his creativity to spit on a different track. I don't blame Pete for being upset.

Hamza21
05-26-2012, 11:18 PM
So let me get this right, Lupe made his track using someone else's track and now he's mad at the original maker of the song???

He's crazy. He says himself we reached out to him and he said no don't do it without me involved, but we did it anyways and now I'm mad at him :lol:

I guess you heard what you wanted to hear. Listen again Lupe's label reps asked Pete Rock for permission (months ago) to use the original master tracks he said no but he found out that Lupe was the artist Pete said yes and informed them he doesn't own the right to the song and some the samples were never cleared. So if they wanted to use the song they will have remake the song themselves and get all the samples cleared. Pete Rock knew for six months this song was going to come out haven't said word about it. If he really felt the song shouldn't be redone then why did he give his blessings remake for the song? Also why he allow others to use song before? This doesn't look good Pete he seems to be mad he didn't get paid since he doesn't own the rights to the song.

Sean
05-27-2012, 01:28 AM
I guess you heard what you wanted to hear. Listen again Lupe's label reps asked Pete Rock for permission (months ago) to use the original master tracks he said no but he found out that Lupe was the artist Pete said yes and informed them he doesn't own the right to the song and some the samples were never cleared. So if they wanted to use the song they will have remake the song themselves and get all the samples cleared. Pete Rock knew for six months this song was going to come out haven't said word about it. If he really felt the song shouldn't be redone then why did he give his blessings remake for the song? Also why he allow others to use song before? This doesn't look good Pete he seems to be mad he didn't get paid since he doesn't own the rights to the song.

Yes, Pete Rock gave his permission for the track to be made but ONLY if he's involved in the track himself. Check his statement here: http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/05/25/pete-rock-addresses-lupe-fiasco-conflict/

DJNR
05-27-2012, 02:08 AM
I downloaded the track earlier this evening and my comments were that that song is sacred and while I respect and like Lupe for his creativity and appreciation of classic Hip Hop he could have used his creativity to spit on a different track. I don't blame Pete for being upset.

What does this even mean?

AddictiveSolutionz
05-27-2012, 05:44 PM
that track was already dope [lupe disrespected pete] and personally i cant c how he didnt think he could just go ahead and use it without permission, hope pete rock gets what he is owed...

Nick Bike
05-27-2012, 06:09 PM
le sigh

Ravi Ravs Singh
05-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I dunno, Pete seems bitter as an individual. Watch deep crates how he gets the shits because Soul Man was holding out wax for Prince Paul at record fares. Also his attitude towards people approaching him asking him about sampling records. He's basically like "Fuck you, you go spend time digging and find that break".

He's hurting come one man he's sampled the horns from the California Dreamer and slowed it down. He doesn't own that sample. Yeah Lupe should give shouts out and respect to Pete for discovering that sample and making it what it is in hip hop but that's it.

The Judge
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM

That TROY is a classic and shouldn't be touched, I'm guessing.

DJNR
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
That TROY is a classic and shouldn't be touched, I'm guessing.

Silly.

moyo wilde
05-30-2012, 04:46 AM
my honest opinion:

pete is right if he flipped the sample enough (i don't know the original) and/or if he wasn't okay with it being done, since it is a to honor his friend. if he just wanted to be down with the production of the song then he isn't "right".

lupe/his producers should have flipped the sample differently. made it more of a track that was inspired by or an interpolation of T.R.O.Y.

just my opinion.

Dj Real 2009
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
How many of us truly know the reason for the song? It was said in an earlier post....Lupe was 8 when it came out. But that there describes an ongoing problem with so called Mc's. I blame industry executives for the problem, both radio and record companies. People are told that they have to look a certain way or sound a certain way to may it. No one that is current respects the culture! MC's aren't giving credit to the pioneers from which rap music came from. Instead they are paid to be arrogant and act as if they created hip hop. And the wave of bright color, loud suits, skinny jean population has imbraced that. If we were to take a poll of how many people have even heard of KRS One, or Eazy E, Public Enemy....The numbers would tell all.

Someone on another site told pete rock and 9th wonder and others.....To eat #$%^. That is where respect for the game is currently. Sad times.

akswun
05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
wow!
love hiphop drama! The last story that enthralled me was the Prodigy and Havoc issue.

Unfortunate that Pete Rock still doesn't own T.R.O.Y as prolific as it is.

Lupe... lol... Give me a kickflip please!!! I'm not going to front I used to like his music but to me he was part of that poser
skateboard era. You know, when Pharrell was pushing skateboarding(bape days) and then Lupe came out with Kick push.
But over the years Lupe has turned into a giant meh.

I hear what the older cats are saying about not being able make original and new ish. Its the same feeling I get when artists
regardless of genre sample songs with in past 5-10 years. Its like 'already'???? And you can't knock on Petes comment about digging
for your own samples. Because we all know diggin' aint easy.

As for Lupe's song... leave that shit on a mixtape and call it a day.

RaySwift
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
The saxophone player on that original sample should arise and tell them both to STFU and pay him his royalties.

Ravi Ravs Singh
06-01-2012, 05:18 AM
The saxophone player on that original sample should arise and tell them both to STFU and pay him his royalties.

This!

Game Over...

Mark_Spit
06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Here's the original:

http://youtu.be/FCxc0Laqyqo

ser182
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
This is the problem. Some dj on here don't understand why PR is mad. First TROY is a classic hiphop track. He might been cool with it if it was good. The lyrics are wack. If Lupe was paying respect to Pete then he should have been the first person he shouted out to on the track. He might not own the samples but he dug for them and produced the track. For a chump like him just to take the track and make a wack arse song is BS. It is like taking WuTangs CREAM or Gangstarrs Mass Appeal. You just don't do it!
And who thinks a producer is going to give up what records he uses in their tracks doesnt know the game. You don't understand how hard it is to find that lil snippet out millions of songs. Understand digging first then talk sh$t about him.
Lupe is a Pop rapper. That's all.

Sean
06-03-2012, 03:00 AM
Lol I went on Lupe's youtube video of his song and compared him with Pitbull for stealing other people's beats and just rapping over it, boy did I get flamed by Lupe fans :lol:

DJ Que Yi
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM

It means that in my opinion Lupe shouldn't of used Pete Rock's T.R.O.Y. beat. To a lot of Golden Era hip hop heads like myself that song is a creative classic track that defined Pete Rock's signature production style. Lupe could have dug for a better sample or created something fresh. He's collaborated with some hip and creative artist recently like Robert Glasper. I downloaded Lupe's track from my record pool and left similar comments.