PDA

View Full Version : Steal DYI project

MeowMix
05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Just snagged these bad boys (MK2s) for a crazy $150 for the pair (not each). It was a 5 hour round trip to get em but well worth it. They have no functional issues except for maybe 1 of them will need RCA rewiring for timecode (previous owner said wasnt sending tc signal to SL1), works fine with vinyl.

They need a cleaning, im also considering internal grounding and want to paint the faceplate mate black.
I am not sure how i would do that without painting over the inscriptions though (technics, quartz etc).

Any advice from experienced modders?

http://i.imgur.com/rrI8Z.jpg

djpenguin
05-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Good deal, lucky for you. There's no way to paint them without getting rid of the factory markings, at least no way that will look good. Sorry.

JohnXVI
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Wow Meow congrats! I have never seen a deal like that!!!

thehadgi
05-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Congrats man :tup: You could always send to nicadraus for some fancy up-do'ing, seen his work it's pretty good if you wanna spend some $ :lol:

MeowMix
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow Meow congrats! I have never seen a deal like that!!!

Yep, i busted a nut when i finally got em.

Good deal, lucky for you. There's no way to paint them without getting rid of the factory markings, at least no way that will look good. Sorry.

So you think its just worth it to buy black faceplates? They run about $50 each. I wanna go with black because otherwise it ruins the look of the entire living room.

JohnXVI
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Get some nice aluminum engravings like the limited edition ones. It is fairly cheap to get those engraved.

eleong
05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
i'm so jealous

VjQue
05-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Dam what a steal. I just finished putting back together my 12's. the just came from the powdercoater today about to post up pictures in the DIY section. Congrats on the steal.

MeowMix
05-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks.

John do you have a link to the faceplates you are describing, i dont think ive ever seen em.

JohnXVI
05-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks.

John do you have a link to the faceplates you are describing, i dont think ive ever seen em.

This is not the best example, but it is the only picture I can find right now. Don't like how the guy did not use the actual font.

http://www.12x0.de/images/1210_blackset_schild_06.jpg

DTR
05-26-2012, 06:32 PM
You can get decals that look like the real thing (ebay I think... on DJFv1 there was a guy who sold them too). Apply the decal over the base colour then clear coat over the top.

MeowMix
05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
That paint job looks very sleek, not digging the plate though.

DTR thanks for the idea.

swine
05-26-2012, 08:46 PM
thats a sweet deal. but how would vinyl work and sl time code not go through? time code is just a certain frequency, you can hear the sound.

MeowMix
05-27-2012, 02:31 AM
thats a sweet deal. but how would vinyl work and sl time code not go through? time code is just a certain frequency, you can hear the sound.

not sure, but i have had it happen before. maybe a loose rca connection doesnt put out a strong enough of a signal for the soundcard to interpret.

DTR
05-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Maybe a channel is inverted or missing?

VjQue
05-27-2012, 03:17 AM
or the internal ground is bad

Nicadraus
05-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Congrats on those babies! Nice catch! :tup:

Anyway, I would suggest replacing the RCAs and while at that, do the internal grounding as well. As for painting, sand the frame thoroughly and apply 2-3 coats of primer first before doing the actual base paint. Use automotive acrylic or polyurethane paints. Power coating is another good option as it will save you from the painting process if you're not well experienced in painting. :)

MeowMix
05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Congrats on those babies! Nice catch! :tup:

Anyway, I would suggest replacing the RCAs and while at that, do the internal grounding as well. As for painting, sand the frame thoroughly and apply 2-3 coats of primer first before doing the actual base paint. Use automotive acrylic or polyurethane paints. Power coating is another good option as it will save you from the painting process if you're not well experienced in painting. :)

Thanks for the advice. Since im taking it apart to repaint and rewire does it also make sense to replace the pop up light with an LED while at it?

DTR
05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
^^^^ Yes

Nicadraus
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. Since im taking it apart to repaint and rewire does it also make sense to replace the pop up light with an LED while at it?

Definitely! :tup:

kurisu
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I wish I had another pair of 1200's to mess around with. Lucky! :lol:

nyquist
05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Many times I have seen and had issues with Serato, Torq and Traktor not picking up the control signal. It is generally dirty contacts in the tone arm. Easy to fix. Contact cleaner and a real good scrub with some qtips and all will be dandy. If they are still dirty after the contact treatment get some metal polish and polish the contacts with qtips. Then use contact cleaner spray to clean out the polish. Job done!

MeowMix
05-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Many times I have seen and had issues with Serato, Torq and Traktor not picking up the control signal. It is generally dirty contacts in the tone arm. Easy to fix. Contact cleaner and a real good scrub with some qtips and all will be dandy. If they are still dirty after the contact treatment get some metal polish and polish the contacts with qtips. Then use contact cleaner spray to clean out the polish. Job done!

Wish this had come up earlier. I sold my VTD-1000s so right now i dont have a need to test out if its dirty contacts in the tone arm.

After weighing things, i figured it rather give it to djlotus to the custom work. Will post pics once he is done fixing up these babies.

nyquist
06-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Put some pics up when they are finished :)