PDA

View Full Version : An interesting look into James Zabiela's toys by Pete Tong for BBC Radio1

Sean
05-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
Also great to know his background and how he has come from low-tech to move into so much high tech, talk about gadgets!!

caZcEKvqWn0

mostapha
05-29-2012, 04:43 PM
It's really interesting to find out that appreciation for the music came second to appreciation for the techniques. Apparently, that hasn't changed.

Heh…jokes aside, I enjoyed it…kinda can't believe I spent an hour doing it…I had stuff I was supposed to be doing. Oh well.

mostapha
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Bump.

Did no one else watch this? As much as I make fun of him, JZ is a great guy. I ran into him in a club in Miami last spring, and he took the time to say hi and was very gracious…on his way back to his VIP booth with drinks and a couple girls waiting for him.

The video is definitely interesting, and while I don't like his artistic style, it's nice to see someone using so many controllers and a laptop without resorting to the same tropes as every other controller DJ…other than the overuse of effects, of course.

ChrisHynds
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
very interesting watch, seemed pretty awkward in parts between Tong & Zabiela tho, some good topics brought up, Thanks for posting this +Rep

mrkleen
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Pete Tong is a TERRIBLE DJ with very little creativity - JZ might as well be speaking greek to a frenchman in this video.

ben mills
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm not a fan of Zabiela's style much - it's glitchy and doesn't really flow well to me. He does some amazing stuff with the equipment and really maximizes the abilities of the gear with his undeniable technical skill - just not for me.

Finnish_Fox
06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Zabiela's style much - it's glitchy and doesn't really flow well to me. He does some amazing stuff with the equipment and really maximizes the abilities of the gear with his undeniable technical skill - just not for me.

Same with me... not a fan of the music he plays but I love seeing him live to watch him do what he does. Plus... he freakin' loves being up there and I'm always stoked to see a DJ that into it - head bobbing, huge smile.

Sean
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I saw Zabiela live back in 2007 or so and I thoroughly enjoyed his set, there was so much hype so much energy!

DJNR
06-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Really interesting.

lingk
06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
He didn't say much really.. It was an hour of nothing. He didn't talk about his work flow much or how he dose stuff. He was more talking about I like this because I can do ABC. that's fine, but it was all real basic. For a "Master" class I was expecting a lot more detail on setup/routing/work flow and that.

you could almost make a drinking game out of how much Pete Tong says music on an SD card.

mostapha
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Masterclasses never show anything interesting. They're made to sell products.

Also, was this a masterclass?

Pavin
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM
"I still like to beatmach"-JZ
BOOOOOM

bobbyd
06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Weird. It just seems a bit geeky some times. Just excited about another piece of gear - but not really excited much about the music.