PDA

View Full Version : How to mix from 128 BPM to 140 then 175 and back to 128

mrSilkie
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Basically i want to go from 128 to 140 then 175, Electro, Dubstep, DnB and Back to electro. How would i do this and still be discrete about changing the BPM, i've tried droping tracks in and i just doesn't work for me and waiting for the track to finish usually slows the whole mood down, although it might be viable when going from DnB to dubstep or Electro.

Once again, how do i make the transitions between these large BPM gaps?

alazydj
05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd just shut the power off the turntable playing the DnB and Power slam into the electro

Austin GoGreen
05-24-2012, 02:05 PM
+/- 16 on your pitch is one way..... And if you have seen someone do this well using Serato and 1200's, don't ask me, cause I'm not telling the secret.

For the non-believers that will tell you it's impossible to go that far in BPM doing LIVE transitions (not pre-made), take a listen to this one I did here http://www.mixcrate.com/mix/148179/me-Live-transition-example

DJ SB
05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
+/- 16 on your pitch is one way..... And if you have seen someone do this well using Serato and 1200's, don't ask me, cause I'm not telling the secret.

For the non-believers that will tell you it's impossible to go that far in BPM doing LIVE transitions (not pre-made), take a listen to this one I did here http://www.mixcrate.com/mix/148179/me-Live-transition-example

45 button.

Austin GoGreen
05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
More than that homie, but ur on to it... U have heard Ritchie do his live transitions??

DJ SB
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah Ritchie also uses every DJ gizmo on the planet. And I know there's more to it than that but can't be bothered to give a step by step. One thing I also do btw is set a loop, turn the TT off, and wind it up by hand. DRRRROPPPPSSSS

swine
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
do you need to go from 128 to 140? I usually build it up from 128-135 with electrohouse and breaks then boost one of those tracks to 140 or a dubstep track down to 135/137.

I usually do a power down to get a dnb track in. There are some good 87bpm tracks to transition to around 175

mrSilkie
05-24-2012, 10:50 PM
What do you guys mean by "power down" or "shutting off the power"?
I'm sorry i'm not using legit turn tables, i'm using a MIDI controller (cue the 'you're not a real dj' comments)

oliosky
05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
loop a beat less 4 beat loop then filter and echo freeze the shit out of it

mrSilkie
05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Got it, I'll try it out next time i mix

mrSilkie
05-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Nope, i don't think i can do it, could you show me an example so i can atleast hear what it would sound like?
\

YungVendrixDNB
05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
I usually do a power down to get a dnb track in. There are some good 87bpm tracks to transition to around 175

That's what I try to do with my future jazz records(I own the Soulfood and Earth Volume 3 sets, which are both pressed by Cookin Records). I still haven't mastered that yet.

alazydj
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
To be fair I don't spin DnB...Breaks/Trance are as fast as I get. It really only works with breaks going into something with a lot of swing and 'boom'

Dave Daschofsky
05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Not sure how to do it on a MIDI controller but i do it all the time on vinyl. Slowly speed up the 128 bpm song and slow down the one at 140 until you've got both around 135 or so. Sometimes if i need to slow down the fast one more than the pitch control allows ill use my finger to apply a little pressure to the side of the platter to slow it down a bit more.

DJ STU-C
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
does nobody care what tracks sound like when pitch up/down to oblivion?? im glad im not listening to it, if i wanted alvin and the chipmunks id buy the album.. what i would do is turn the deck off or use the brake knob on pioneers so the track slows to a stop, introduce some white noise or acapella etc then bring in the faster track on the melodic part(breakdown or in some cases the start of a record) then build it up with efx and the beat drops, no way would i start ultra pitching the tracks it just sounds horrible and the master tempo/keylock function just fucks the track up

gudy2shuz
06-02-2012, 02:23 AM
I've heard some guys mix two ambient-sorta breaks together; one breakbeat and one dnb and it worked. I'm guessing the key is which two tracks to do it with.

g6music
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Something that works for me (occasionally mind you) is when you've got an electro track, wait until the beat ends and it smooths into an ambient section. At the same time I'll start the dub track on a big hit (make sure the track still has enough energy at this point), and then mix the dnb and dub together (it's easier to mix those two genres). Then use the reverse of the method above to go back to electro. It takes some practice, and knowing your tracks (REALLLY know them), but it works in the right environment. And I'm using a midi unit as well (Kontrol S4). It can be done!! Just gotta practice :)

Finnish_Fox
06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Just train wreck it.

brawny
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
There are a variety of techniques, but sometimes regardless of tempo transitions just don't work. Songs don't work next to eachother. I get the Jedi sense that you are trying to force something. It's like poetry, for some reason some words sound nice in sequence others don't. I know I've wasted a lot of time trying to force transitions that just were bound to sound like shit. I thought I was challenging myself to master my craft by finding a way to make it work, but ultimately I think it should kind of come naturally. If you've tried a few ways and it sounds like shit, maybe stop spending so much time on it and move on to something else.

mantis
06-14-2012, 10:54 PM
wow i agree with brawny

Jimanee
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
DJ Fresh - Louder

Starts Dubstep ends DnB.

Or any Dubstep track that's been remixed into DnB, play the dubstep and during a breakdown slip into the dnB version.

Good look to going back to Electro after that though...

Though you might have luck with dnB then Dancehall then Moombahton then Electro :shrug:

Optikal
06-17-2012, 08:06 AM
a technique i use on occasion going from house into dubstep, if you can find a dubstep remix of a song you can use that to your advantage... for instance,

Kaskade - Raining
in to
Kaskade - Raining (Filth Collins Remix)
use the synth from the dubstep remix to help build up with the house song, build up the tempo to about 135 and then drop into the dubstep track where the vocals cut in for the first time with the dubstep style drum beat rather than the house beat and then you can either a slowly bring that track back up to 140 for the drop, or cut it up to 140 at the drop...
just an idea ive been toying around recently, as i've been trying to figure out the same thing :)

that was an example for those particular songs but there are others it will work with too, just gotta do some research

sephi
06-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Songs that change tempo. I have stuff that goes from 140 to 110, 100 to 175, 130 to 140, etc.

Cutting from the original to a remix at a different tempo.

Messing with the wide pitch at an appropriate point so that it sounds like the song is supposed to speed up or slow down. If you bring it down a lot and then bring it back up, the audience loses their reference for what the tempo is supposed to be, so you have more leeway. For example, using a 100% pitch range and slowing the track down to a standstill, then bringing it back up, past the original tempo, to a faster one of your choosing. Changing pitch during a roll is also a viable way to disguise the shift.

You can always power-down and slam in a new track, but that's kind of abrupt. Same with scratching in a new track.

swine
06-26-2012, 04:19 AM
What do you guys mean by "power down" or "shutting off the power"?
I'm sorry i'm not using legit turn tables, i'm using a MIDI controller (cue the 'you're not a real dj' comments)

depends what software you are using. but power down is if you have a vinyl turntable you turn off the power and the record just goes slower and slower.

on a midi controller if you have the pitch adjust set to wide (plus or minus 100%) you would slowly decrease the speed of the track. Either you would decrease the speed to -100%(same as stop) or decrease it until its slow enough then cut the track or hit pause.

depending on the software you can adjust how accurate (wide) the pitch fader settings are. on cdjs you have the play/pause curve knob to adjust that is just above the tempo on pioneers.

Connor
06-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Jamie Walker - Brainwave. It's a trance track (very high energy track mind you) that instead of a breakdown goes into DNB, that's all I have as I'm trying to figure out large BPM gaps as well.

xyloft
06-26-2012, 04:35 PM
backspin!

actually i have a drumstep (175 bpm) song that has a 140 bpm intro. it's short but during the first build it ups the tempo for me.

i have also slightly adjusted BPMs on tracks over the course of a long time to go from 140 bpm trance down to 100 bpm hip hop. just drop a few BPM each track, and make sure you have some tracks in all the ranges.

DJFUEGOOO
08-10-2013, 05:16 AM

yes you can mix any tune in diferent tempos there is to ways or mixing one is speed the track witch i will never do as it to much diferens in bpm
and the othere my way
i use Vdj and i have grafics on my scream
firth you need to know the key of the track you want to mix so you are not in the wron keys to do this
my sugestion is pik a track in key 03a and pic the tempo you like
them pic the next track on key 05a and the tempo
"this is just one of many exemple"
here the trick
you have to shange the bpm on one of the track to mach the othere
when you don this look at the wave in my Vdj the grafic are set to see the line i normali mix them of beat fine the outro position of the track is rolling and do this at this point
remember the a track will have many outro depending of the leng of the trac if you desude to carri on keep shanging as you do your pic
meaning mach the bpm so you can see on the grafic where you can go never loop the track you have to mount it on top of the othere if the keys are write them is only piking the write son so the jam vocaly and make sens

Mahatma Coat
08-10-2013, 06:03 AM
There are a variety of techniques, but sometimes regardless of tempo transitions just don't work. Songs don't work next to eachother. I get the Jedi sense that you are trying to force something. It's like poetry, for some reason some words sound nice in sequence others don't. I know I've wasted a lot of time trying to force transitions that just were bound to sound like shit. I thought I was challenging myself to master my craft by finding a way to make it work, but ultimately I think it should kind of come naturally. If you've tried a few ways and it sounds like shit, maybe stop spending so much time on it and move on to something else.

This guy has a great point, sometimes things just aren't supposed to go together, its just how it is. No use forcing things that just don't compliment one another.

Also what can work in one context won't necessarily work in another, it depends how adventurous your audience is.

When it does work, for really big BPM changes I'll tend to use a beatless section in a track to go up/down in tempo and shift the genre. I also use filters to cancel out the beat and quickly bring the new record in. Another option I use is a backspin, but generally no more than once or twice in the same set and only if its a high energy crowd.

TooHypE
08-12-2013, 04:10 PM

I been a victim of same problem couple of years ago. Some songs do go well wit others but sometimes it wont!! =/ just move on!! Hell even Mix-in-Key doesn't always worked!! Tried dis personally and notice it Can/Can't happen!!