PDA

View Full Version : Finding New Tracks, Learning to DJ "the proper way," and More Questions.

lolkats
05-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been DJing for a little over half a year (I spin mostly dubstep and drum and bass for those interested.) I started when I went up to college. I learned on an S4 (which I still have and use now,) and - here it comes - I've been using sync until now. Crucify me.

I now know that, although I really like my S4 and I think it's a good tool for me, I should've learned on CDJs. I don't know how to beatmatch properly, and I think I'm too dependent on my laptop screen for visual aid.

My first question is- How do I go about breaking the "bad" habits I've learned from starting on a digital set up?
I don't have enough money for CDJs, or access to ones I can regularly use. I know I haven't learned the "right" way, but I want to learn the fundamental skills, and move on from there. I'm willing to put the work in because I enjoy this, but how I've learned to mix has been really influenced by sync. I'm not sure how to make the types of transitions that I've been doing without cue points or sync.

My second question is- How important is it to play songs that aren't "mainstream?"
I didn't think my song selection tended to be super mainstream, but I got back to DC from college, and a few of the DJs here seem to disagree completely. I want to play what I enjoy and what I think the crowd will enjoy, so I'm tempted to tell these guys that they're just fucking hipsters and to get over themselves. But I could be wrong! I'm new to this, so I'm leaving it up to you guys.

Lastly- Where can I find good "underground" tracks?
I'm not knocking young producers here, but I'm not down with playing tracks made by 14 year-olds who don't know how to master their productions, simply because it's new and no one's heard it yet. I'm open to music of all genres- I'd love to find more glitch hop, IDM, and discover emerging sub-genres, but I don't know where to start! Is there any more efficient way than searching SoundCloud/YouTube?

Optional Question for dubstep DJs- Is there a right or wrong way to mix dubstep?
One of the DJs that told me my music selection was shit also tried to tell me that there was only ONE way to mix dubstep (of course, this was his way) and I wanted to curbstomp him. I completely disagreed with him, but I'm curious as to what more experienced DJs in the genre have to say about things like double drops, transition lengths, the use of effects, ect.

I'm totally sorry if I've posted in the wrong place. If I have, please be kind enough to direct me to the right forum (or, if you know of a thread with the answers to the questions I have, please direct me to those as well.)

thehadgi
05-23-2012, 11:52 PM
As far as digging, blogs are good in addition to soundcloud/YouTube. Another good way is to figure out what labels the music you like is on, and search through their previous releases that sometimes don't make it as big.

Good luck tho :tup:

Waterbeat
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
If you are over 21, you should start attending this weekly Wednesday night party in Fairfax https://www.facebook.com/Transit.GiveProductions Folks there are friendly and helpful and there are frequent DnB nights.

The lineup is posted on DJF every week. Here's the most recent: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7846-Wed-5-23-TRANSIT-Fairfax-Va-Mixed-Genre-Night

KLH
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
My two cents:

I learned on an S4 (which I still have and use now,) and - here it comes - I've been using sync until now. Crucify me... How do I go about breaking the "bad" habits I've learned from starting on a digital set up?
Just turn off snap and quantize on the S4 and make it do what it do. DJ like that is actually more fun, IMHO.

My second question is- How important is it to play songs that aren't "mainstream?"
Read the crowd. You should key into what the crowd wants - throwbacks, current, EDM, etc. Give 'em what they want! Of course, a little variety goes a long way.

As to where to get great underground tracks, Beatport is great. Promo Only Alternative is great too.

I usually use those but find the best tracks when I listen to the GREAT DJs at FaderWaveRadio (http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio) - they play the best tracks. They usually will share what the track is too. I'm addicted to FWR, so YMMV.

-KLH

g-sep
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Hey kat,

I second the faderwave radio comment. When you hear a track you like just ask us and we'll get you the name and such.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

lolkats
05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
If you are over 21, you should start attending this weekly Wednesday night party in Fairfax https://www.facebook.com/Transit.GiveProductions Folks there are friendly and helpful and there are frequent DnB nights.

Funny story. I just got booked to play a Transit show there on July 11th. I'm confident I'll be able to do well mixing as I am now, but I want to rewind and start to learning how to DJ the right way. I'm really happy to learn that the people there are friendly and nice. Unfortunately, I'm not 21, so I'll just make sure to talk to all of the DJs when I play there. Hopefully they'll be kind enough to let me shadow them.

Since I've been back, I've found that a lot of DC DJs and promoters (at least the ones I've encountered so far) to be very... tough and close-minded. I feel like even if I learn to beatmatch properly, have a solid foundation, and put out mixes people enjoy, I might be turned away from gigs simply because I use a digital controller, or because my song selection isn't 100% underground material/songs from super-quirky sub-genres. I gather you're a DJ from the area, so what would you say to this? Have I just met a few bad apples/stubborn old mules, or is this a good reflection of the scene in the DC/metro and Baltimore areas?

Also- Are you one of the Transit DJs by chance?

My two cents:

Just turn off snap and quantize on the S4 and make it do what it do. DJ like that is actually more fun, IMHO.

Will do. Just out of curiosity, what does the quantize button do exactly? I'm familiar with the snap function, but I'm actually not sure as to what quantize really does.

Read the crowd. You should key into what the crowd wants - throwbacks, current, EDM, etc. Give 'em what they want! Of course, a little variety goes a long way.

As to where to get great underground tracks, Beatport is great. Promo Only Alternative is great too.

I usually use those but find the best tracks when I listen to the GREAT DJs at FaderWaveRadio (http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio) - they play the best tracks. They usually will share what the track is too. I'm addicted to FWR, so YMMV.

-KLH

Do you have any specific advice on effective ways to read a crowd?

I just had my first encounter with FWR. The DJs and listeners were really fun to talk to, and I'll definitely be tuning in again as soon as I de-bug my computer and have a healthy internet connection again haha.

Thank you all so much for the responses! I appreciate it.

Andrew B
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
My first question is- How do I go about breaking the "bad" habits I've learned from starting on a digital set up?

Don't look at your screen. Keep your laptop to the side. Select a track, then look away. Don't press "sync." Once you learn how to beatmatch by ear, you will be able to play on anything... and leave the S4 at home.

Play to the crowd. One man's mainstream is another man's underground. A typical crowd-pleasing set should have a mix of classics, unknown tracks, and popular current tracks.

Any online DJ download store. Start with Beatport. Avoid the Top 100. Avoid blogs.

Optional Question for dubstep DJs- Is there a right or wrong way to mix dubstep?

Whatever sounds good. As long as you're beatmatching, phrasematching, and EQing properly, it should sound good. Typically you don't want to overlap prominent basslines or vocals. Go easy on effects, looping, and sampling.

Since I've been back, I've found that a lot of DC DJs and promoters (at least the ones I've encountered so far) to be very... tough and close-minded. I feel like even if I learn to beatmatch properly, have a solid foundation, and put out mixes people enjoy, I might be turned away from gigs simply because I use a digital controller, or because my song selection isn't 100% underground material/songs from super-quirky sub-genres. I gather you're a DJ from the area, so what would you say to this? Have I just met a few bad apples/stubborn old mules, or is this a good reflection of the scene in the DC/metro and Baltimore areas?

Scenes can be be insular and cliquish. Since there are hundreds (thousands?) of DJs, you can either get in with an established group for a heads-up, or start your own night from scratch. The latter may be your only option if you play in a style that's not compatible with existing club nights. If you want to join a particular group, you'll have to mostly play by their rules. That's just how it is. Your skills should at least be up to par with them, if not exceed them. That comes with practice.

Network, network, network. Practice, practice, practice.

KLH
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Will do. Just out of curiosity, what does the quantize button do exactly? I'm familiar with the snap function, but I'm actually not sure as to what quantize really does.
Pulling from the Traktor manual:

With Snap mode on, any Cue Point you create in the track will snap to the closest beat, thus
ensuring that you get directly to that beat next time you press the Hotcue.

There is another reason you don’t have to worry about pressing the lit Hotcue button exactly on the beat: By default, TRAKTOR will make sure that the beats of both tracks stick together and that jumps don’t ruin the beat-matching. This is because the so-called Quantize mode is on, as you can see by the lit Quantize Button in the Global section.With Quantize mode on, whenever you jump through the track (e.g. by pressing a Hotcue button or clicking somewhere in the Overview waveform), the playback jumps to the nearest position that preserves the beat-matching, thus ensuring that the current sync doesn’t get lost when you jump through the track.
By turning off Snap and Quantize, you have to manage the mixing. It's a little more work, but much more fun.

Do you have any specific advice on effective ways to read a crowd?
When you're beginning, I recommend having 3 practiced sequential tracks that you play so that starting out isn't a nerve-racking affair. After the third song is rolling, scan the crowd and see if they reacted positively to your song choices:

* If they're losing their minds, stay in the genre and keep around the same BPM. Rinse and repeat.
* If they're ho-hum, get a slightly faster song (to lift the energy).
* If the dance floor is emptying, do NOT freak-out. When the song ends, take the opportunity to test a new genre (at a lower BPM) to restart things. Build from there.

I just had my first encounter with FWR. The DJs and listeners were really fun to talk to, and I'll definitely be tuning in again as soon as I de-bug my computer and have a healthy internet connection again haha.
FWR is awesome. I told ya! Check out when DJs are live and you'll be hooked! They're ALL great... even that G-sep guy.

Don't forget to post a mix and get feedback. ALL DJs can use feedback to get better.

Good luck!

-KLH

lolkats
05-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone. [:

Andrew, your advice was especially helpful, so thank you very much!

lolkats
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Don't forget to post a mix and get feedback. ALL DJs can use feedback to get better.

Where is the appropriate place to post mixes for feedback?

Sigma
05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Where is the appropriate place to post mixes for feedback?
http://www.djforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?18-Mix-Submissions

Fair play to you for putting the effort in man. It'll pay off in the end.

I agree with Andrew regarding this: -

A typical crowd-pleasing set should have a mix of classics, unknown tracks, and popular current tracks.
But I also agree with you when you said this: -

I want to play what I enjoy and what I think the crowd will enjoy, so I'm tempted to tell these guys that they're just fucking hipsters and to get over themselves.
Doing your own thing is always the way to go, as long as the people in the bar/club are digging it. Be open-minded about music, but there's no point in playing tracks you don't like just cos some doods think they're "cool" or "underground" or whatever.

Synergy
05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I do wanna say this, props for doing things the fuckin right way man! good on you! what these guys have said, is what i would say. so i won't repeat it. just practice, record EVERY time you do. you will get better, and welcome to REAL djing ;).

Waterbeat
05-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Funny story. I just got booked to play a Transit show there on July 11th. I'm confident I'll be able to do well mixing as I am now, but I want to rewind and start to learning how to DJ the right way. I'm really happy to learn that the people there are friendly and nice. Unfortunately, I'm not 21, so I'll just make sure to talk to all of the DJs when I play there. Hopefully they'll be kind enough to let me shadow them.

Also- Are you one of the Transit DJs by chance?

I think if you keep networking and get to know people and get a better feel for the scene, you'll feel more comfortable with the characters. There are a lot of prima donnas in this though, and that's just the way it is.

I think using a controller and playing not all extreme underground is not an issue, but it is important to develop good beat matching, phrase matching, and mixing skills. For this kind of music there is high emphasis on good set programming and good mixing. If some tracks are nearer the mainstream, but fit well in the set, then that'll be accepted just fine. While you learn beatmatching, there's no reason not to continue to use sync. You'll need to be able to beatmatch to mix into the last track of the guy before you, but once in control, I see no reason not to use sync even if you can beatmatch, assuming you've got your grids set up so the match is good.

Yes, I'm a member of the Transit/Give crew. Sending you a PM.