PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this set up?

Clazzik
05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
hey guys, just moving into vinyl and have no clue what to look for. Looking to spend Less then $350 on a used set up.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-PIECE-NUMARK-TT-5510-BELT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE-AND-NUMARK-DM-1050-2-CHN-MIXER-/180887405848?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item2a1dbac518#ht_500wt_1202

is this any good? what else will i need to make this compatible with my computer?

thanks for the help guys!

- Clazzik

Andrew B
05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
$350 isn't going to cut it. Look for direct drive turntables.

If you want to use them with a computer, factor in at least an extra $300 for Traktor Scratch A6 or a used Rane SL1.

Clazzik
05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
$350 isn't going to cut it. Look for direct drive turntables.

If you want to use them with a computer, factor in at least an extra $300 for Traktor Scratch A6 or a used Rane SL1.

alright, so that setup from ebay is no good? Im just looking to get a set to use for a few months to practice and learn.

edit: what would you recommend as a set up?

Tommy D
05-24-2012, 06:46 AM
If your budget is really tight then just get any direct drives you can. Everyone will tell you to save and get technics and in an ideal world that is the best thing but if you HAVE to have decks now and your set on vinyl just make sure they are direct drive.

I learnt on some direct drive citronic's that i got on ebay with a mixer for £150 years back and they were great for me to learn on for the first year.

Just make sure you know that anything you buy at this price range you will soon want to replace with technics.

If you want to use your computer and you have a tight budget have you considered a controller?

DJ Headkick
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
It sucks that you're a total noob to the forum, cuz I bought my cheap direct-drives off the DJF market. They were sold to me by a dude looking to pay his rent, and I spent way less on them than I should have, along with some vinyl.

If time's not a factor, I'd speedpost, make a few friends here, and hop into the equipment for sale / wanted equip forums; you never know what you'll find. :tup:

I've upped this mixer the better part of 1,000,000,000 times, but the Tascam XS3 is a simple, rebranded 2-channel Ecler that's awesome for scratching. It's old and rare, but if you find it, you're gonna get a great deal.

KLH
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Check out the stickies...

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2721-The-Official-DJF-Beginners-MEGA-Thread!

-KLH

DJ Headkick
05-24-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?963-Budget-Equipment-Appreciation-Thread Oh, this in particular!

Spike Jonze
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Hello guy!

Welcome to DJing! I am glad to see that you want to take the "classic" or vinyl route, very cool! I would highly suggest something direct drive as well, even if it is cheap. Given your budget you are not going to get anything banging, but that is okay! If you really get into the music and enjoy dj'ing, with time you can upgrade your gear. I think what you put up is fine to start with, except I would find something direct drive, just as the push/pull and the turntable itself will not wear out as quickly! I can share personally I started on two Numark TT1625s and a 40 dollar two channel mixer with treble and bass knobs only! Today, I am confident in my skills, and I attribute some of that to starting out on crappy gear, which in turn really made me pay attention to detail with my mixing and helped me learn the proper *touch* so that when I upgraded, the tables were less touchy and easier to work with. I say follow your budget, give it a shot, and if you dig, just continue to upgrade your set up piece by piece my man! If you really are not sure, go buy a cheap two channel midi controller and play around with a few mp3s before you make an investment! The last thing I would suggest is keep networking, the more people you meet, the better deals you can find on gear and the more information you can gather about improving yourself as a DJ! If you are into house music and wanna hear some good mixing tune in sometime to www.deephouselounge.com They have some great tunes and a chat room if you would like to talk about music in more detail outside the forum! I hope this is helpful for you and that your journey into mixing music is a positive experience dude! I wish you luck!