PDA

View Full Version : Home "Club" Speakers

DJBean
05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I plan on turning my basement into more of a club/bar/lounge. It will be tiled and have more open space than occupied for dancing. I'd like 2 wall mountable speakers (not studio production monitors) to add to a home sub I already have. The speakers would only be for 40-50 ppl tops but I want them to double as speakers for the games on TV sometimes. I didn't want anything too big. I'd prefer if they were discreet. But I also don't want to overspend on something that's overkill. If anyone has any good ideas or has done something like this I'd like to know what you think.

Budget is about $500 or less for the pair.

jayhwk
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I think the Electro-Voice Zx1i would work well for this application. You should be able to find them for around $250 each if you call around or buy used. The mount is pretty nifty, and is included.

You should be able to power them with a powerful home stereo amp or you could pick up a used QSC Mx700 or RMX850.

Unknown DJ
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
M-Audio-GSR-10

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?4888-M-Audio-GSR-10-Review

sss18734
05-21-2012, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't go with PA gear if you're trying to double this as a home setup. You can sometimes find Magnepan Planar speakers for around $500 used... Super discreet, look great, and are some of the nicest sounding speakers in their price range. They also have a very pleasant "fullness" to them as opposed to your typical tweeter/woofer speaker due to the ribbon design.

They are very easy to wall mount, and should get plenty loud enough for your needs, especially if you use a sub.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

DJBean
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I think the Electro-Voice Zx1i would work well for this application. You should be able to find them for around $250 each if you call around or buy used. The mount is pretty nifty, and is included.

You should be able to power them with a powerful home stereo amp or you could pick up a used QSC Mx700 or RMX850.

I love the look of these and i'm sure they sound great but it looks like a tall order to get these for even 300 a piece.

M-Audio-GSR-10

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?4888-M-Audio-GSR-10-Review

I actually saw these on pssl earlier and kept it in mind. After reading the review I'm leaning toward them most because in that range you tend to see crappy brands. I'd much prefer M-Audio because I'm no stranger to their products.

I wouldn't go with PA gear if you're trying to double this as a home setup. You can sometimes find Magnepan Planar speakers for around $500 used... Super discreet, look great, and are some of the nicest sounding speakers in their price range. They also have a very pleasant "fullness" to them as opposed to your typical tweeter/woofer speaker due to the ribbon design.

They are very easy to wall mount, and should get plenty loud enough for your needs, especially if you use a sub.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

These look interesting but I don't know much about them and they look like I'd blow them up in one day. At the end of the day I can just use a sound bar for the games if I needed to.

Thanks for the replies

jayhwk
05-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I love the look of these and i'm sure they sound great but it looks like a tall order to get these for even 300 a piece.

Maybe try the regular Zx1-90 with a pair of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=308872&is=REG&A=details&Q=

You should be able to get a pair of Zx1-90s for around $500 if you ask a small reputable dealer (i.e, not big online store) nicely.

DJBean
05-25-2012, 04:10 PM
OK guys, sorry but I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench into this thing now. So I figured since I need a new mobile setup, I'd just have whatever speakers I buy double for my mobile kit and basement setup. I planned on wall mounting them to keep them out of obvious site. As opposed to being on a pole by the DJ booth. Originally i was going to go for (2)RCF 312a brand new. The problem is they are so big and the opposite of discrete, that they wouldn't look as good on the wall. So then I started looking and getting interested in QSC's K10. I figure these can double nicely for both the basement and mobile gigs. I don't do gigs as a full time job. And I probably do about 5-8 every summer. Whether I get the RCFs or K10s, it is my plan to pair them with a sub. Most likely JBL prx 618 xlf. A friend of mine just happens to be selling a pair of slightly used K10 for $1000 which I can probably beat down $50-$100. RCF 312a are now going for about $500 a piece.

So for about the same price. Would you go K10 or 312A to double as your home club basement and mobile gig? Keeping in mind:
The K10s are much more lighter and discreet
I will have a sub available if needed
The set up will be used in the basement much more than on the road
The gigs wont be anything bigger than what my B-52 Matrix 1000 has handled in the past

I know it sounds as if I want to convince myself of getting the K10s lol. But does the difference in sound quality make much of a difference? If not I would think it comes down to how the damn thing looks sticking off of a wall in the corner. I've seen and heard the K10s in person, but not the 312a's.

I think it really comes down to these options. The EV is probably still out the question and so is the M-Audio GSR10 for certain.
Your thoughts please...

windspeed36
05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
OK guys, sorry but I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench into this thing now. So I figured since I need a new mobile setup, I'd just have whatever speakers I buy double for my mobile kit and basement setup. I planned on wall mounting them to keep them out of obvious site. As opposed to being on a pole by the DJ booth. Originally i was going to go for (2)RCF 312a brand new. The problem is they are so big and the opposite of discrete, that they wouldn't look as good on the wall. So then I started looking and getting interested in QSC's K10. I figure these can double nicely for both the basement and mobile gigs. I don't do gigs as a full time job. And I probably do about 5-8 every summer. Whether I get the RCFs or K10s, it is my plan to pair them with a sub. Most likely JBL prx 618 xlf. A friend of mine just happens to be selling a pair of slightly used K10 for $1000 which I can probably beat down $50-$100. RCF 312a are now going for about $500 a piece.

So for about the same price. Would you go K10 or 312A to double as your home club basement and mobile gig? Keeping in mind:
The K10s are much more lighter and discreet
I will have a sub available if needed
The set up will be used in the basement much more than on the road
The gigs wont be anything bigger than what my B-52 Matrix 1000 has handled in the past

I know it sounds as if I want to convince myself of getting the K10s lol. But does the difference in sound quality make much of a difference? If not I would think it comes down to how the damn thing looks sticking off of a wall in the corner. I've seen and heard the K10s in person, but not the 312a's.

I think it really comes down to these options. The EV is probably still out the question and so is the M-Audio GSR10 for certain.
Your thoughts please...
Id be looking at the 312's over the K's. The 312's sound a little better and I find the finish on the K series marks really easily. They're also cheaper that the K10's. However that being said, it also depends on the subwoofer your pairing them with. The K10's from memory have an inbuilt crossover.

DJBean
05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Id be looking at the 312's over the K's. The 312's sound a little better and I find the finish on the K series marks really easily. They're also cheaper that the K10's. However that being said, it also depends on the subwoofer your pairing them with. The K10's from memory have an inbuilt crossover.

Thanks. If i go w/ K10s, I'll go w/ the KW181. If i end up w/ the RCFs i'd prob go w/ the JBL prx 618 xlf. The tops will come first regardless of which I get. I'm also gonna beat my friend down on those K10s if i decide on them.

Al Poulin
05-25-2012, 10:26 PM
You might want to consider Yamaha DXR8s combined with a single good sub - like the 618 XLF. I just purchased a pair to add to my powered speaker collection after testing them out and liking them so much. They sound fantastic (especially with a sub of course) are ultra compact and look great. The K10s are great speakers as well however. Just an idea. :-)

Al

DJBean
05-25-2012, 10:43 PM
You might want to consider Yamaha DXR8s combined with a single good sub - like the 618 XLF. I just purchased a pair to add to my powered speaker collection after testing them out and liking them so much. They sound fantastic (especially with a sub of course) are ultra compact and look great. The K10s are great speakers as well however. Just an idea. :-)

Al

would u say that they outperform Qsc's K10? I would think not. And for $50 more i might as well stick to the K10. I was however thinking about the jbl prx612m
but those are bigger and cost more also. haven't heard them though.

SummitAudioDJ
05-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Another option would be the RCF 310's which are a good bit smaller as the 312 but sounds really great. The only reason I could see going with the qsc would be that they are all black to blend easier. If you wan't them to really blend build mesh a wall for in front of each. Very easy to do if you plan to corner mount them.

Al Poulin
05-26-2012, 08:39 AM
would u say that they outperform Qsc's K10? I would think not. And for $50 more i might as well stick to the K10. I was however thinking about the jbl prx612m
but those are bigger and cost more also. haven't heard them though.

Both the K10s or DXR8s/10s are excellent sounding options IMO although they should all be used with a sub. With a sub handling the deeper frequencies, they will perform similarly. I just like the tiny footprint of the DXR8 and I did just purchase a pair, so am a little biased. ;) If you can get the K10 at a very good price, go or it. Although I love the RCF Art cabs, as far as looks go - the QSC Ks or Yamaha DXR look much better and would be less noticeable in your intended use. All great speakers really - just slightly different flavours of great...

Al

Estacy
05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
just please don't tile the floor, it'll sound like a bathroom

DJBean
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Another option would be the RCF 310's which are a good bit smaller as the 312 but sounds really great. The only reason I could see going with the qsc would be that they are all black to blend easier. If you wan't them to really blend build mesh a wall for in front of each. Very easy to do if you plan to corner mount them.

Yeah I thought about the 310's but I'm wondering how good they would do when I finally do a gig w/ them. I know they make grills for the 312's but what about those 312's?

DJBean
05-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Both the K10s or DXR8s/10s are excellent sounding options IMO although they should all be used with a sub. With a sub handling the deeper frequencies, they will perform similarly. I just like the tiny footprint of the DXR8 and I did just purchase a pair, so am a little biased. ;) If you can get the K10 at a very good price, go or it. Although I love the RCF Art cabs, as far as looks go - the QSC Ks or Yamaha DXR look much better and would be less noticeable in your intended use. All great speakers really - just slightly different flavours of great...

Al

That's the hard part. My mind did dwell on the jbl prx612 but too expensive

DJBean
05-26-2012, 01:14 PM
just please don't tile the floor, it'll sound like a bathroom

I'm still researching what my other options are because I do want everything sounding nice and tight. The only reason tile makes sense is because there are a couple drains down there.

SummitAudioDJ
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm still researching what my other options are because I do want everything sounding nice and tight. The only reason tile makes sense is because there are a couple drains down there.

If you tile and use some area rugs and furniture you should be fine. Just like a hall sounds like crap until it is filled with 200 people.

DJBean
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
If you tile and use some area rugs and furniture you should be fine. Just like a hall sounds like crap until it is filled with 200 people.

yeah. u also heard about laying acoustic padding down b4 u lay the tile. i wonder if a heavy duty sub like the kw181 would rumble so much that it destroys the tile...

sss18734
05-29-2012, 10:56 PM
yeah. u also heard about laying acoustic padding down b4 u lay the tile. i wonder if a heavy duty sub like the kw181 would rumble so much that it destroys the tile...

Lol... Not sure if that's a joke or not.

ampnation
05-30-2012, 04:48 AM
I use K10's and love em but trust the RCF ART 3xxA series (but not the 315) would sound similar enough that deciding between them would come down to price and features. However, I would want to pair with sub of same brand so K10+KW181 is how I would go vs ART 310A+PRX618S-XLF.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2