PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on intelligent lighting

akillj
05-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Right now, my business partner and I own (All american Dj) the Dual Gem Led, Tri vertigo, and the Micro Galaxian laser. (And another cheap 20 dollar laser which does the same effect as the Micro Galaxian, just not as bright, usually used for the roof to make a nice effect).

It looks nice for the venues I do, which is high school dances and other parties people hire us for, but i'm wanting to purchase some forms of "intelligent lighting". Moving heads are out of my price range. I was thinking of some of American Dj's scanners but I don't know where to start.

My price range would be around 300-500 per unit. (I'm thinking of purchasing two, two put on our lighting tree stand).

Need suggestions! thanks

DYM
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Blizzard Lighting Flurry Wash Tri's? I am hooked on these and I think I need a pair myself... but not yet.

sobi
05-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Chauvet intimidator 300. I think it does everything that its moving head counterpart (qspot 260) does... rotating gobos, prism, etc. only without the coverage that a moving head allows.

akillj
05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys, i'm really interested in that Blizzard Wash light now. That looks amazing for only 400 dollars, I think ima pick up a pair of those if I can't find anything else.

DYM
05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys, i'm really interested in that Blizzard Wash light now. That looks amazing for only 400 dollars, I think ima pick up a pair of those if I can't find anything else.

That's what I said ahah... If you do please post a video of them working alone and with the rest of your setup. I was also thinking about DMX-ing them with my Colorstrips

windspeed36
05-20-2012, 05:50 PM
(And another cheap 20 dollar laser which does the same effect as the Micro Galaxian, just not as bright, usually used for the roof to make a nice effect).
Where are you aiming your micro-galaxian if the cheapy is on the roof? I hope to god not on the crowd :S

Synaxis
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Chauvet intimidator 300. I think it does everything that its moving head counterpart (qspot 260) does... rotating gobos, prism, etc. only without the coverage that a moving head allows.

The Scan 300's compare more to the Q-Spot 160 than the Q-Spot 260.

OP: Get some Chauvet Intimidator Spot 250 LEDs or Blizzard Lighting ICE 30 Moving Heads. You can find them for around $500.
The Flurry Tri's are nice, but note they are ONLY a wash light (No gobos, prism), and only have 180 degrees of tilt motion, as opposed to other heads which have 270 degrees.

akillj
05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
That's what I said ahah... If you do please post a video of them working alone and with the rest of your setup. I was also thinking about DMX-ing them with my Colorstrips

Yes! Will do. I'm pretty set on those now that I saw a few video reviews of them. I'll definitely post a vid/review of them but it might be a while cause I gotta save a lot of money haha.

And to Windspeed, I point the galaxian on the back wall directly ahead of me, looks very nice.

akillj
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
The Scan 300's compare more to the Q-Spot 160 than the Q-Spot 260.

OP: Get some Chauvet Intimidator Spot 250 LEDs or Blizzard Lighting ICE 30 Moving Heads. You can find them for around $500.
The Flurry Tri's are nice, but note they are ONLY a wash light (No gobos, prism), and only have 180 degrees of tilt motion, as opposed to other heads which have 270 degrees.

Ah, I didnt see your post until after I replied, thanks for your input and yes I understand they're just washes. I'll look into the units you mentioned and go from there.

Whines
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Scanners are good and reasonably priced. You might see if you can pick up some of the used halogen-bulb scanners that people are trading in for LED's if you want to dip your toe in. Fixtures that are LED and bright are generally not cheap.