PDA

View Full Version : CD players with waveform display

borrow
05-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello people,

I am looking around for CD players and i know most pioneer's have a waveform display, also a few denon models and the new gemini cd player has a waveform display.
But i am wondering are there any other CD players with waveform display?

What do you guys btw think of the gemini CDJ700, it almost has the same features as the cdj 900 and 2000, but it looks so cheap and plastic.

nolimitz
05-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Gemini Cd players...no....actually...hell no. I'm pretty sure those functions won't be the same or remotely the same quality as the Pioneer counterpart.

Honestly, when it comes to dj cd players, its either Pioneer or Denon. I'm not so sure about the Stanton players but the best to go with are those that I mentioned.

Numark and Gemini are garbage and don't hold pitch well. When it comes to DJ'ing, thats very important.

Since you are in Europe, I think Citronic is another brand available there, I can't speak about those since I'm in the States but those probably aren't top notch either.

Hausgeist
05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Blaze just did a review of the 700. That deck has been getting nice reviews. The only question that remains is its life expectancy. Only time will tell.

zcFz294coKY

nolimitz
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Seems ok but looks like a Chinese duplicate of the CDJ line. I'm probably nit-picking but the jog display looks unproportional to the size of the scratch surface.

Same with the LCD display. Build quality is questionable but It has potential.

borrow
05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
yea digital dj tips was also pretty happy about the gemini, so thats why i am asking. Still... maybe just gonna wait a little longer and get money for the cdj850's.

anyway so you guys know any other cdj's with waveform display?
the reloops seem so good but no waveform display so yea....

Hausgeist
05-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Why are you interested in waveforms anyway? IMO they are not necessary,.

Era 7
05-21-2012, 03:56 AM

others might think differently. i'd love to have some on my players :( serato does that for me but on if i had them as standalone players i would use them. i don't always remember if a track has one of those superlong breakdowns so i can determine if i already want to mix into the next track.

Tommy D
05-21-2012, 06:44 AM

I couldnt live without the waveform on my CDJs. I know all my tunes but cant always remember if there is a 2nd breakdown.

Irrational_Fear
05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
It's probably also worth pointing out that unless you are getting CDJ-2000s the waveform will be of little use other than that mentioned above by Tommy.

My old CD decks never had anything like them and I quickly got to rely on the time elapsed/remaining to know roughly when a breakdown was about to happen. Even on my CDJ 900s I wouldn't say the waveform gives you much more accuracy- we are talking about a 1cm by 6cm or so image on a low res screen. It's nothing like you'll find on software based systems.

Useful for quickly glancing, but I still find once I've played a song 4 or 5 times I'm using the time elapsed/remaining instead- old habits die hard.

The CDJ-2000 with it's higher res lcd screen is a different matter, the others will only give you a small blocky image!

And re: the Gemini CDJ700 - I had a play on one in the store, and to echo Blaze's review it really does seem an impressive piece of kit. Everything worked as it should, and any criticism for it's 'plasticy' feel is somewhat moot when you try the similarly lightweight and plastic CDJ900 (and I suspect 2000).

The only real thing I had against it was the jog wheel tension- it really is quite stiff, but again probably not much issue if you are just using it for mixing. In terms of features and performance it certainly made my decision to buy CDJ900s more painful that it should have been.

In the end it came down to having a budget that would allow for the Pioneers, the Rekordbox aspect, and the belief that they will maintain their value considerably more. It will be interesting to see how the Gemini CDJ700s are fairing a couple of years down the line, in terms of life-span/faults etc. I still have a Gemini SA600mk2 turntable that was fantastic when I brought it 9 years ago, and still works faultlessly today. No fuss, no faults, and a motor that maintains it's speed when you stop the record- so surely not all Gemini products are dogs. :)

Era 7
05-21-2012, 07:41 AM
No fuss, no faults, and a motor that maintains it's speed when you stop the record- so surely not all Gemini products are dogs. :)

in the past they were known for quality equipment but they somehow ass-ified over the years.

Irrational_Fear
05-21-2012, 08:01 AM
in the past they were known for quality equipment but they somehow ass-ified over the years.

Very true.

I'm looking forward to seeing over the next couple of years if they manage to find their way again with these new pieces of equipment. They will obviously never reach the popularity of the Pioneer CDJ stuff, but if they can even put a dent in Pioneers current mental pricing strategy it will surely have to be a good thing for all of us. I still chose the CDJ900s over the Gemini for the reasons I mentioned, but even the store manager I was talking to said he'd have a hard time recommending the Pio 850s to somebody ahead of the cheaper Gemini 700s.

Nicadraus
05-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Numark and Gemini are garbage and don't hold pitch well. When it comes to DJ'ing, thats very important.

:freak: :eek:
What the heck are you talking about? I have played on many CD players including Numark & Gemini. Their pitch held very well and accurately.

Tektonix
05-31-2012, 12:39 AM
^^^^ Agreed, Ive touched numarks with better pitch than my CDJ400's