PDA

View Full Version : Denon SC3900 - New Deck from Denon

DJ Riddims
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1dt02x428
Looks like Denon has something new on the way.

Press Release
"Denon DJ - SC3900
Digital Turntable and Media Controller with 9-inch Active Platter

• 9-inch Active Platter with High Torque Direct Drive Motor
• Media Server for "Engine" Software
• Player Link Network — File Share between Networked SC3900
• Playback Direct from USB / PC / CD
• Fully Mappable MIDI Controller
• USB Direct Playback

DJing has progressed to a new era with the evolution of digital media. In a world that was once first dominated by vinyl, then CDs, and now the emerging USB and streaming devices, it’s time to revolutionize the DJ booth, because right now as a DJ you make a choice between DJing with a turntable, a turntable and software, or a CDJ/Controller. No one device has ever managed to give you the flexibility to choose depending on your performance, style or your audience.
That is, until now.

Denon DJ is proud to introduce the SC3900: Digital Turntable and Media Controller with 9-inch Active Platter. Utilizing a completely redesigned High-Torque Direct Drive Motor that exactly mirrors the feel of vinyl, the SC3900 brings home that familiar feel but with the choice of CD, USB, Software, or even a networked Media server as your source of tracks.

“The 9-inch platter makes scratch moves more nimble by being that little bit smaller, but maintains the perfect amount of space to grip it, scratching & mixing tracks feels no different than using vinyl” --DJ Switch, SC3900 endorsee and 3x World DMC Champion.

Years of development with top international DJs has allowed Denon DJ to perfect the platter of the SC3900 for use with digital media without losing that feel of vinyl (the surface of the platter is actually a 9” vinyl disc!) – all allowing Scratch DJ champions like DJ Switch to push their performances even further than possible with a vinyl ‘record’.

“Doing DMC-style hard-core scratch sets are made so much easier without worrying about needles & skipping records” --DJ Switch

Playback and scratch tracks from a myriad of sources including USB ‘sticks’ or USB Hard Disk Drives via the top mounted USB port. This allows the move from venue to venue with just a single USB device and not a laptop or CD collection, although the SC3900 can also playback CDs via the front loading CD slot, giving you true flexibility of your media choices.

The SC3900 also comes complete with the brand new ‘Engine’ music management software that has been designed with players such as the SC3900 in mind, allowing the ultimate in DJ set preparation, playback and control.

Prepare the perfect set in the studio or on a computer at home, then export it to a USB stick or Hard Disk Drive and have everything needed for your DJ performance in a device small enough to fit in your pocket. Then, when it’s time to perform simply plug in and play, and even share the USB drive’s files with up to three other compatible players over a network.

Once your networked players are sharing the music from one USB device, it’s easy to manage, cue, and play to any player via an iPad with the new Engine iPad app (requires downloading from the App Store). Engine for iPad seamlessly controls your set wirelessly through a network – all via its large full-colour touchscreen. And there is no need to worry about computer or connection problems; should the iPad become disconnected, your music is still securely connected to the player via USB, leaving playback, and your audience’s attention, uninterrupted.

Additionally, playback of files on your PC or MAC is possible with the included ‘Engine’ music management software which doesn’t even require a high specification computer to work quickly and efficiently. With file searching speeds that leaves most other software standing still, Engine’s power is achieved by leaving the intensive audio processing at the player so the software is free to run before, or during your performance, utilizing the full capabilities of your computer.

Prepare music on a USB device, playback music through Engine PC or Mac software, and control via networked players or even through a network connected iPad.
Hybrid MIDI mode has been a flexible feature and a great benefit to previous Denon DJ devices and it’s no different with the SC3900. Complete with the ability to be MIDI mapped to work with a wide variety of applications, the SC3900 can control DJ software utilizing DVS, without using time code CDs, making the SC3900 the most complete and flexible player Denon DJ has ever produced.

For performers who can’t or don’t want to choose between software, vinyl, CD, and digital media as well as those who want the ability to use one controller that doesn’t rely on a high-spec computer to perform, the Denon DJ SC3900 is the player that you have been waiting for.

Features
• Compatible with included ENGINE Music Management Software (PC/Mac)
• ENGINE iPad app available for easy file searching and player status display
• Player Link function for sharing USB drives across multiple SC3900s (up to four) and for connection to ENGINE software (PC/Mac/iPad).
• Completely redesigned 9-Inch platter equipped with a brushless high-torque direct drive motor
• Seamless switching between media source devices
• Real vinyl platter mode with independently adjustable start and stop times
• Built-In USB / MIDI control function
• Built-In USB audio interface (ASIO / CORE compliant)
• Hybrid MIDI mode included for DVS applications
• Supports CD-DA, CD-ROM and audio playback from USB memory devices (AAC, AIFF, MP3, WAV)
• Burr Brown 24 bit DAC processing for superior audio fidelity
• Redesigned PLAY and CUE buttons for greater tactile feel and response
• Fast search and quick jump functions
• Top mounted USB port for USB stick and hard disk drives
• 4 dedicated Hot Cues (8 in MIDI mode via MIDI layer option)
• Auto / manual loop functions
• Reverse and dump platter effects
• Deep pitch resolution and key adjust
• Strobe indicator
• 4-Way BPM counter (Auto BPM, Manual TAP, Manual BPM, Reads BPM Metadata)
• BPM sync feature
• 3-way pitch bend functionality
• Digital output
• Fast loading slot-in drive"

Cryder
02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm more interested in what that iPad's doing up there...

JohnXVI
02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
^This. I was expecting a better replacement... way better.

bloomer
02-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Astounding that they haven't put a large lcd screen on it like the CDJ-2000. It's so much easier to look at! The tiny Screen on the 3700 is literally the reason I didn't get a pair.

DJ Riddims
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I was also expecting a new screen.

ReelDiel
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
why would you need a bigger screen on a midi controller, look at the laptop

brichi
02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
it's more then a midi controller. if they had a bigger screen, you wouldn't need the laptop :)

hoff
02-14-2012, 01:31 AM
the screen is my biggest gripe. release decks that display traktor quality waveforms already people!! if a friggen $500 stanton controller can include a nice lcd screen and waveform why can't denon and pioneer players do the same for the same price.

swine
02-14-2012, 04:35 AM
the screen is my biggest gripe. release decks that display traktor quality waveforms already people!! if a friggen $500 stanton controller can include a nice lcd screen and waveform why can't denon and pioneer players do the same for the same price.

what stanton controller?

Chay
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
what stanton controller?

The SCS.4DJ.

http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-controllers-systems/scs4dj.html

Somedj
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM

agreed.... and as for the laptop comment by brichi, that would be even better. Just decks, a couple usb drives, and a mixer? Shiiiiit, hell yea.

brichi
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
exactly how I roll in now, I love it :) for some private events I boot up the laptop for fast searching reasons and link it to Rekordbox, works great, Denon should do something similar to this for people who don't want to spend additional money on DVS programs

Ryan Ruel
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
That was a great demo of crappy sounding noise.

brichi
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
That was a great demo of crappy sounding noise.

LOL,, yeah it was!

TrueWind
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
GUYS! Look what I just found on the Denon forums!

DENON wrote:Hint Hint.....

Be around Monday morning (East Coast, US) / Monday afternoon UK time for the BIG......

MONDAAAY Morning!!! WOOOOOT!

DJ Riddims
02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
GUYS! Look what I just found on the Denon forums!

DENON wrote:Hint Hint.....

Be around Monday morning (East Coast, US) / Monday afternoon UK time for the BIG......

MONDAAAY Morning!!! WOOOOOT!

Finally let see how much improvements they have actually made.

DJ Matt
02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
i was sure there would be something like an iphone style touch screen.......................:(

electricsmooth
02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
These better have native scratch and traktor support and if they do, I might just forgive Denon for the 3700s

cvdeco16
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Officially announced :)

Denon DN-SC3900 (http://usa.d-mpro.com/us/denondj/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=MediaPlayers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SC3900)

brichi
02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
eh, should have done a big screen to view files better, no one is going to walk into a club with a flash drive and plug into a deck that only shows 2 songs on the screen at a time. I had the 3700's and the cdj2000's and the biggest difference in trying to dj from a usb drive is the screen, you just cannot navigate well on the 3700/3900. Other then that, good job Denon, looks like a nice improvement over the 3700 to catch up to the networking end of dj'ing and connecting decks, and they finally dumped that MM shit software they had, LOL... Hopefulyy "Engine" is good for the guys that will buy these decks

cvdeco16
02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
And, as per Sylvio in a post on the denondj forums,

We expect it to be
$999 (USD)
£949/€1099

brichi
02-20-2012, 10:31 AM
thats a fair price for what they do now, But silvio also compares it to be much lower then the cdj2000 which is an unfair comparison, The 3900 should be compared to the cdj900, not the 2000

brichi
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
and i'm sorry, I don't hate Denon, i own pioneer and occasionally use the 3700's but why is it that all denon users feel the need to bash pioneer gear every time something new comes out, the 3900 finally catches up to what pioneer has been doing for the last 2-1/2 years and right away they have to say, "Oh we can do 3-4x the amount at half the price",,, ummmm no you can't, all you have now to compare is a spinning platter, LOL

DJ Riddims
02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
The price seems decent, but I was expecting a bit more. I don't think it is enough to stop me from buying a cheaper pair of 3700s. I wanted a better screen, usb 3.0 for faster songs loading and wavforms. They basically made a revamped 3700 to simply work with there new software.

brichi
02-20-2012, 11:33 AM
I agree, definitely not enough to ever make me jump ship from the cdj2000's, Although I do like the sound of their iPad app integration, will be interesting to see that in action

Signal Lost
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgLMR1_SC-4

JohnXVI
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
In all this what upsets me is NI choosing who to support since their inception into controllers. I would really love to see a rotating platter supported natively by Traktor.

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
You guys are totally missing the boat on this one. They didn't include a big screen like the CDJ-2000 because they made an even bigger screen available via an I-Pad. You download the Engine software from the app store and then connect the players to a wireless router. Once the I-pad sees the network, you can use the I-pad as your screen to manage all the media that is connected to your devices. So they more than addressed the screen. Not to mention, you can connect a laptop to them and play music that stored on the laptop on any connected device and use that screen as well.

and i'm sorry, I don't hate Denon, i own pioneer and occasionally use the 3700's but why is it that all denon users feel the need to bash pioneer gear every time something new comes out, the 3900 finally catches up to what pioneer has been doing for the last 2-1/2 years and right away they have to say, "Oh we can do 3-4x the amount at half the price",,, ummmm no you can't, all you have now to compare is a spinning platter, LOL

Its usually a game of leap frog...when Pioneer came out with the CDJ-2000, the S3700 had been out for over a year and it was Pioneer that was playing catch-up. And for all that Pioneer did with the CDJ-2000/900 and rekordbox they were just barely surpassing Denon and the 3700 with Denon Music Manager a program that was so outdated they didn't even feel it was worth it to write a Mac version of it. Just know that the folks over at Pioneer are paying quite a bit of attention to Denon today.

cvdeco16
02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
In all this what upsets me is NI choosing who to support since their inception into controllers. I would really love to see a rotating platter supported natively by Traktor.

After reading everything, they seem like nice decks. If the 3900s were natively supported by Traktor, I *may* have considered selling my 3700s and upgrading... Other than that one factor, I'm perfectly happy with them; there's really nothing else that I find myself wanting/needing with the 3700s. I primarily use timecode via usb sticks with TSP2, so native support with the spinning platter would have been intriguing. Also, I make no money dj'ing, so it'd be quite an unnecessary purchase for someone dj'ing as a hobby.

brichi
02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
like i said, I like the iPad idea, but in a club, i don't see it happening, now you have to show up, plug in a drive and then configure your iPad to a wireless router if they have one, if not, now you have to bring a wireless router to hook up all the time. I don't see that happening when dj's are in and out of booths

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
like i said, I like the iPad idea, but in a club, i don't see it happening, now you have to show up, plug in a drive and then configure your iPad to a wireless router if they have one, if not, now you have to bring a wireless router to hook up all the time. I don't see that happening when dj's are in and out of booths

But that is exactly how the CDJ-2000/900 is set up. You need a router to make them all link. In this case spend the extra $10 and get one that also has wireless. Also, it would not surprise me if Denon didn't have a mixer with a wireless router built in already in the pipeline like the DJM-2000.

brichi
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
no you don't need a router for the 900/2000's, because the screens are bigger, you don't need to bring a laptop or another screen (iPad) the decks link together with one ethernt cable to share drives

I'm talking about "leaving the laptop home". The only decent way you can do it with the 3900's is to hook up the iPad which will now force you to use a wireless router, not just a simple cheap switch, you have to get a wireless one. With the CDJ's, like i said, the decks link with one cable and the screens are a decent enough size to work off of all night, unlike the 3900's

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
True the on board screens are bigger on the CDJ2000/900 but this is more than an adequate way of addressing the screen issue. Now you have a choice of what sized screen you want. Yes using the smaller screens on the 3900 would be a bit more difficult with out the I-pad about as difficult as using the ones on the 3700 & 1200.

And you can still link 2 3900s together with a cat 5 cable and they will still be able to share info...just like the CDJ2000/900. And lets face it, you can buy a wireless router for about $30 these days.

brichi
02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
im not disagreeing with you that it can't be done cheap, my point is now to get the bigger screen, you have to rewire a clubs setup and start hooking up ethernet cables and a wireless router, Im sure the sound guys are gonna love that!! LOL

The concept of the iPad is definitely cool, if you have your own case that stays wired up or convince a club you are a resident in to let you keep them wired up the way you want. Again, In NYC clubs, I never see that happening, at least not in the near future. By the time that all happens, all dj'ing will be automated anyway and we won't need cd players/controllers, LOL

The other thing is I don't see these "big time" dj's (so to speak) coming in using the 3700/3900's, main reason, they won't want to push buttons to pitch bend, If denon wants to make a spinning platter to emulate a technics TT, then it should truly emulate the TT. you can't really pinch the top of the spindle to slow the platter down and we know you can't drag your finger along the platter either unless they did something new on the 3900's platter assembly

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
I think you are making a bigger issue of the wireless router than it actually is...be that as it may.

As far as the pitch bending, you can always turn the platter off and use it in static mode and push and nudge the platter just like any other jog wheel. I asked about pitch bending via the spindle and haven't got an answer back...maybe it got lost in all the repeat questions being asked on the Denon forum. The claim is that parts of the platter has been redesigned...so they may have addressed the pitch bending via spindle issue...or they may have not....can't say.

brichi
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
nope, not making a big deal out of it being wireless, just that fact that you need it for a bigger screen, they should have just made the players with bigger screens and they wouldn't need the iPad integration :) , like you said, be that as it may, all personal preferences and I just like to walk in, plug in a drive or 2 and play which I know you can do with 3900's, I just don't see myself browsing and searching for tracks on that tiny screen that shows 2 tracks in it at a time, Plus, I certainly don't want to walk in and start wiring in a router, if I wanted to mess with the wires each time, i would have just kept serato..

yeah, you're right on their forum, that thread is moving way too fast, I'm on there too just reading and helping with questions I know the answer to, Let me know if they respond to that if you don't mind, thanks

DJ Riddims
02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
The problem is if I buy a pair of 3900s is this ipad going to magically appear with it or a laptop. The answer is no, so the screen issue has not been addressed because it requires additional equipment. Linking them needs a router, cheap but this means more equipment. I will be sticking with my DN-S1200s with two usb sticks unless I find a cheap pair of 3700s. I like the idea but it annoys me that they are introducing it as a groundbreaking piece of equipment that is nothing like there previous models. It should be called the SC-3700 and be the same price as a pair of DN-S3700s..

DJ Highline
02-20-2012, 10:36 PM
The problem is if I buy a pair of 3900s is this ipad going to magically appear with it or a laptop. The answer is no, so the screen issue has not been addressed because it requires additional equipment. Linking them needs a router, cheap but this means more equipment. I will be sticking with my DN-S1200s with two usb sticks unless I find a cheap pair of 3700s. I like the idea but it annoys me that they are introducing it as a groundbreaking piece of equipment that is nothing like there previous models. It should be called the SC-3700 and be the same price as a pair of DN-S3700s..

That's because it's nothing like the previous models. They have basically blown up the HD2500, S1200 & S3700 platform because it was old and dated and would just cost too much money and resources to make it work in today's environment. And no...off course it is not going to ship with an I-pad & router, just like it doesn't ship with a case for you to put it in or USB drives for you to put music on. But if you look at the cost of a pair of CDJ-900s vs SC3900 + I-Pad + Router, you come out to about the same amount of money (and lets not even go to the difference with CDJ-2000). Plus you now have a tablet that you can use to do other things with if you so chose. Also, you don't need a router to link two players together...only if you want to use the I-pad feature.

Chewns
02-21-2012, 12:19 AM
"Made in china"

I remember how Silvio always brought up this as a negative when other decks were being compared to denon.
How the tables have turned :lol:

electricsmooth
02-21-2012, 01:31 AM
I would just get a second USB drive and copy the files from the first to it and then plug it into my other 3700. Seems to work fine. The only way that I would consider upgrading is if they announced native support for Scratch or Traktor. I noticed that they side stepped this completely and instead focused on their new propriety software.

brichi
02-21-2012, 07:58 AM
and once again the unofficial Denon forum has showed me one more time why I cant stand them, i give an honest response to someone asking me why I am on their forum which my answer was, I like answering questions and giving my honest feedback from what I have used and sold and so on, And I get banned for a month, yet they have a douchebag on there that says "all pioneer dj's are boring and just press play" and they keep him there, assholes, LOL Unreal, Not that I will miss their forum but I just think it's funny that the geeks that run that forum think they are tough guys because they can hit a banned button. I hope they read this too!!!

I even emailed Silvio too AKA "denon"

"Just an FYI, You should have Denon consider making their own forum soon, The forum is a major downfall of the Denon name, I got banned again for a month for defending myself on what JJ had responded to me, I think its a joke and honestly, It's hard to defend anything from a Denon point of view or use the gear when you get banned for giving honest info that was not even bashing the denon product or name. i know you guys keep saying that that is an unofficial forum, but you do link to it from the site so 99% of people think its denons. Anyway, Hope all is well and good luck with the 3900 release"

honestly, how can I promote or buy their gear when you get treated like shit from a customer service point of view on "their" forums... If they want to keep saying its not our forum, then stop telling everyone to go there for help. Luckily Silvio is a great guy and I talk to him privately via emails so it keeps my peace with them :)

JohnXVI
02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
They do need to have their own official forum, but I doubt that will happen. Either way, whatever happens on a forum, shouldn't steer you towards or away from a product. What really matters is how that equipment works and how it fits you and your workflow.

brichi
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
yes, I agree

simonk20
03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
does it really matter if you use pioneer or denon, i use both very often and love them both (cdj 2000,900's &1000's DNS3700's) i just love the denon's a little more, they are just a little bit more fun to use

brichi
03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
it doesn't matter, use whatever you are most comfortable and what is most reliable for you

QuentinisCue
03-06-2012, 03:52 AM
does it really matter if you use pioneer or denon, i use both very often and love them both (cdj 2000,900's &1000's DNS3700's) i just love the denon's a little more, they are just a little bit more fun to use

First and only post, join date March 2012. Legit.

frandomeda
04-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I wonder why people insist on spending thousands cash for just controlling a software like Serato and Traktor... seriously. This product was made for people who 1. either don't want to use laptops or are tired of using laptops. 2. people who are tired of needles, dust, tonearms, etc...

If you are to stick with Serato or Traktor why not keep some CDJ800s with Dicers and save your money... or Technics... I hate when people bring up irrelevant criticism for products that are not even designed for what they need.

Ryan Ruel
04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder why people insist on spending thousands cash for just controlling a software like Serato and Traktor... seriously. This product was made for people who 1. either don't want to use laptops or are tired of using laptops. 2. people who are tired of needles, dust, tonearms, etc...

If you are to stick with Serato or Traktor why not keep some CDJ800s with Dicers and save your money... or Technics... I hate when people bring up irrelevant criticism for products that are not even designed for what they need.

It's all about versatility. Particular for businesses who purchase this type of gear. They need equipment that can handle CDs, storage devices, as well as act as controllers for software.

If you can afford it, and want it, buy it! :)

frandomeda
04-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I understand Ryan... this particular product with the hybrid mode pretty much has the built in wave signals and the other buttons can control software with the timecode even if you forgot the CDs... can't get more reliable than that. Considering CDJs Advanced HID mode is pretty much non-existent with Traktor...

Now heres what's interesting... people complain about the screen size and not having the advanced HID mode, but even if this player had a huge screen (which it could with the iPad), then what good is the big 13-17 inch laptop screen that still displays the tracks that are playing? I have personally used the advanced HID mode on CDJ2000s and while its cool, I find it pointless because you still see the information on the laptop screen.

I understand that people want the advanced HID so that they could use the spinning platter with Traktor... but if you can do that with timecode CDs then what does it matter?

So in the end... what is this unit NOT doing that you would like it to do? We now know we can put an iPad and get a bigger screen... timecode is built in so it supports VDJ, Traktor, Serato, etc... supports CDs, links USB, ext hard drives... has digital out, apparently a good DAC... and so far no huge bugs reported...

I could see brichi's argument, but before this player existed, and new CDJs existed too, people were still mixing without a huge screen... hell, did you have a screen mixing vinyl? I understand about technological advances... and making life easier, but even then screens are pointless in sunlight... so what are people using their ears for now days? Seriously.

I am interested in this product... will I buy it? Possibly not... would I buy CDJs? Probably not yet either. It sounds silly I am defending a product I might not ever buy, but I wouldn't dismiss it for someone else by giving irrelevant information out.

The one true thing that always seem to kill Denon is their crappy marketing. While the S4 had countless problems when it came out... people still buy it today (including me) because it was so reinforced and a few big producers use it on big festivals... and it still has a ton of bugs, tempo faders usually go crazy on their own... yet people dismiss other controllers