PDA

View Full Version : Radiance hazer too much

Coronaoperator
05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I just accquired a new radiance hazer and even on its lowest DMX setting it is a bit too much for our venue. Our resident DJ has way too much workload than to ride the controls on the board all night long. Does anyone have any input on reducing its output. Right now the output is aimed directly at a fresh air exhaust on the lowest setting and it is still overpowering our venue (339 capacity!). I'm thinking of diluting the fluid with distilled water. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

I do not care about warranty and save any babble about "only use reccomended fluid" bullsh*t. If I wanted a lecture i'd call my mom, if you have any input I'd like to hear it.

Mystic
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I do not care about warranty and save any babble about "only use reccomended fluid" bullsh*t. If I wanted a lecture i'd call my mom, if you have any input I'd like to hear it.
And right here is where you lost me. I would have given you some advice if you weren't being such an ignorant cunt. Now I hope you fucking burn it up and render it useless.

Have a nice day.

DYM
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
And right here is where you lost me. I would have given you some advice if you weren't being such an ignorant cunt. Now I hope you fucking burn it up and render it useless.

Have a nice day.

Must spread rep :(

Coronaoperator
05-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Have a nice day.

Wasn't looking to come across that way. I've been on the boards long enough to know that a barrage of "don't mess with the fluid" posts was to follow and wanted to avoid that all together. You need to chill out a bit dude. Totally uncalled for.:tdown:

Mystic
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
The way you worded it was hostile and arrogant. Just sayin'

Coronaoperator
05-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Pleasantries are not my strong point, I'm more of a quick and to the point kind of guy. Thank you for correcting me.

Now does anyone have any suggestions?

Im using an obey40 controller if it helps. The local sound and lighting production company thinks my idea of cutting the fluid with distilled water should do the trick. I'm a little worried about ruining a batch of fluid, the stuff is crazy expensive. I guess another option would be to get the hand held controller which has an interval control but if I can do that with dmx that would be preferred as I would like to retain that control.

Capt. Kirk
05-19-2012, 01:37 PM
You should be able to have a complete chase setup where the hazer is only running during one of the scenes so in like a 150 scene chase it will only come on for 1-2 of those, thus getting the limit you need.

Johnnotestine
05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Buy a different hazer and sell me your radiance :)

DYM
05-19-2012, 08:34 PM
How much would you sell it for.. hmmmm.....

Coronaoperator
05-19-2012, 09:09 PM
It's the venues hazer, not mine hence why I don't care about the warranty. It is replacing an american DJ haze generator that could be for sale. It you like low output and dustbunnies on everything it could be had for cheap. When you run out of fluid you just open the case on your lights and amps and drain the oil back into the unit and your good to go. lol

I really don't understand the big deal with the radiance. To me its just an overglorified faser with low fluid consumption. It has extreme output but the output is a bit foggy and uneven like a faser. The oil based hazer it is replacing has a so much more even and almost invisible effect. Just the mess the oil based hazer eventually leaves is a royal pain to deal with in a fixed install.

I'll try just putting it into a chase sequence. Sounds like a lot of work to reprogram some scenes. I am really leaning towards cutting the fluid with distilled water. The MSDS lists water and Glycerol as the only 2 ingredients. I'll try it this week and report back on how it works out. I'm thinking anything less than a large gym and this hazer will overpower the venue.

DJ Higgumz
05-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Why cant you manually turn it on and off? I do that with my neutron xs, it is always oversized for the venues I run. You said this is an install so you aren't always there?

You may want to try this, it may be on the radiance maybe not, but on the pcb there is a rotation pot with a screwdriver slot in it, where it has wires going to the fluid pump. Turn it counter clockwise and it should decrease intensity of pumps. Be careful, because depending on the amount of adjustment, you could burn up your heat tube or other heating elements.

Just because it is someone elses doesn't mean you shouldn't treat it as if it was yours. If you were one of my employees I would fire you instantly. I've got a couple guys that take great care of my equip, and that's why I keep them on call. I'm not trying to sound sour, but you need to watch that attitude :)

DJ M&M
05-19-2012, 10:55 PM
crank the fan and put the output on the lowest setting (make it manual). and that should do the trick. Our venue is 550 cap, and we get a really nice super light haze by doing this.

Coronaoperator
05-20-2012, 12:01 AM
I'll take a look at the pcb to see it there is a pot to adjust. I look after all the equipment and service them as if they were my own, thats why I don't care about the warranty as I'm very proficient at diagnosing and fixing broken equipment myself. I just don't buy into the 'only use my brand of fluid' mantra that each company has in order to sell you their brand of overpriced fluid. My initial post that turned everyone off on my attitude wasn't directed toward anyone, just the idea that fluids are somehow some magical conoction that shouldn't be tampered with. Their is nothing magical about the fluids once you see the MSDS sheets that list 1 or 2 ingredients. The only thing that could hurt the unit is residue buildup or maybe a problem with the pump and by adding distilled water I can't see that as a problem.

DJ M&M - I haven't had time yet to try setting it on the lowest setting manually, I'll try it sometime this week. Right now we are using the lowest DMX setting. Most likley the manual and DMX settings give the same result. I'll give it a try though.

DJ Higgumz - turning the hazer on and off is what we are doing this weekend but is what we're trying to avoid. It is just more workload on a club DJ that is working his crowd, doing lights, taking requests from drunk people, mixing, etc. He's not able to keep the haze consistant that way. I would like to set it and forget it. I bought the more expensive radiance for the club over the neutron xs specifically for the DMX control of the volume of haze but not enough control is there. I'll figure it out eventually but appreciate the ideas you guys are giving me.

Dave Daschofsky
05-20-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't really know too much about hazers, what would be so bad about diluting water-based hazer juice? It's something that was recommended by one place I buy gear from, they said you get better hang time and less saturation.

Coronaoperator
05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't really know too much about hazers, what would be so bad about diluting water-based hazer juice? It's something that was recommended by one place I buy gear from, they said you get better hang time and less saturation.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. Thats now 2 audio and lighting firms that recommended cutting the fluid. I'm goin to try that out in a small batch and see what happens. First batch will be 50/50 and we'll go from there.

windspeed36
05-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I also agree on the dilution idea, just make sure your water is distilled as you mentioned. I don't know that particular hazer, but in the thread there has been mention of both being water and oil based. If it is oil based I'd be watching how much water you put in.

Coronaoperator
05-20-2012, 10:01 PM
I finally had a chance to dilute the fluid with distilled water. I started out with 50/50 and it was still too much. I diluted it further to 2 parts water and 1 part fluid and that did the trick! It is producing exactly the right amount of haze on the #2 setting for output. On full output it can still pump out the haze even diluted 2 to 1. At this rate that fluid should last me forever. Thank you everybody for your input. My problem is now solved.

On a side note: while I was testing the various mixtures I had to purge the line of fluid between tests. Quickest way to do that was to put the hazer in the parking lot and run it on high until the line was clear. Well the fire department and the police showed up as the fog was filling up the city block and they thought the building was on fire. Only problem is that when they got here they seen us setting up for a EDM show we are having tonight and instantly asociated RAVE with bad news and are on our *ss. I had to give them my name, address, and phone number and they are going to hold me responsible for any problems that may arise tonight. Hope things go well.

BillESC
05-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Have the venue purchase the wired remote control. It will allow you to set time and interval so that the radiance is not constantly outputting. Such as 10 seconds of minimum output every 4 minutes.

The part is -CLF-2465 and sells for $ 157.60 from any UltraTec dealer like myself.

Coronaoperator
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the advice BillESC but I have already solved my problem.

I diluted the fluid 2 parts distilled water, 1 part luminous fluid. The haze is now very nice in the room, not overpowering, and VERY VERY even, almost as even as the oil based hazer the radiance replaced. Before the haze was slightly cloudy as it came out of the radiance and I didn't like that effect, reminded me of a cheap faser. I am very happy with the results and I can now retain DMX control where as with the controller I lost that function.

Time will tell the effects of residue buildup or pump reliability but I will be using this method for now on. The results are EXACTLY what I was looking for in a water based hazer.

Drewbdo
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
On a side note: while I was testing the various mixtures I had to purge the line of fluid between tests. Quickest way to do that was to put the hazer in the parking lot and run it on high until the line was clear. Well the fire department and the police showed up as the fog was filling up the city block and they thought the building was on fire.

"Run it inside... set off the fire alarm. Run it outside... set off the fire chief. Can't win for losing!"

LOL :D

When I first started back into the business, I bought a fog machine, before I knew about hazers and before I was a member here. Wish I had saved the money. Oh well...

Coronaoperator
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
"Run it inside... set off the fire alarm. Run it outside... set off the fire chief. Can't win for losing!"

LOL :D

When I first started back into the business, I bought a fog machine, before I knew about hazers and before I was a member here. Wish I had saved the money. Oh well...

Just can't win in this business :diaf: lol

Fog machines can be a bunch of fun too, i've been in bars where you can't find your friends even if they are standing 5 feet from you. It was fun scurrying around trying to find everyone. Makes hide and go seek really easy although probably not that safe of an evironment for drunk people, lol. I'd probably still use them here and there for effect on certain songs (intro to ACDC Thunderstruck comes to mind, small puff hovering in the middle of dance floor with subtle use of the strobe) if they didn't dry out everyones eyes and throats so bad.