PDA

View Full Version : Screamo / Death Metal fans?

DJ Watty
02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I am not a huge fan of the genre, just seeing if there are any with interest here..... Working on a project for a local artist and looking for some input. Frankly, I almost turned down recording them because I didn't understand the music. BUT then it quick came to me, that a lot of people don't understand the "shit" I listen to. So I decided to take a crack at it. lol

g-sep
02-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I used to listen to a lot of death metal, metalcore, old school hardcore, etc. a few years ago. Did the band thing too for about 3 years, recorded 2 albums in the studio, didn't go anywhere. I'll still listen to a little Morbid Angel from time to time, just to mix it up with all the edm i listen to.

dj symptoms
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
I can't stand screamo, but being a drummer I can get into some death metal. I personally prefer the stuff with no vocals because I feel like the music is so unbelievably technical, and the vocals only add clutter to what would otherwise be incredibly synchronized.

DJ Watty
02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I can't stand screamo, but being a drummer I can get into some death metal. I personally prefer the stuff with no vocals because I feel like the music is so unbelievably technical, and the vocals only add clutter to what would otherwise be incredibly synchronized.

Good point. I think I feel what you are saying. I have been "studying" by listening to the stuff in my car when the kids are not with me. There is a wide variation I have found in screamo. beauty of overdub, I can mute just the vocal. HAHAHHAA, But shhhhh dont tell anyone.

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 12:31 AM
I think what is often categorized as "screamo" is more likely to have melodic and tonal vocals, which non-metal fans will probably find appealing. When I was in my teens I liked some bands that I would now call screamo (like Killswitch Engage or Darkest Hour) who incorporate various styles of metal but also include some dramatic, emotional vocals that kinda (in my opinion) kicks them off that cliff into the crevasse of "screamo".

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
And yeah, overdub would be nice. One of my favorite metal bands is Between The Buried And Me, and although their vocalist is incredibly talented and really adds to certain songs, there are other songs where it just sounds like shreiking and growling. I've found a couple videos of their drummer recording their songs that have the vocals muted and :love:... so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flq19SVFiGI

There's a band called Periphery that writes some pretty technical metal, but their main guitarist posts the instrumental on SoundClick under the name Bulb. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for some instrumental tech metal.