PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beatmatching and switching from dance or house to pop??

DJcraycray
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I have had my little Numark Dj2Go for about two weeks or so and have gotten down the basic concept of beatmatching and am practicing everyday. I want to start and challenge myself though, and I personally, think that my transfers from house or dance to pop could use some fine tuning. If any one has some tips for me on how to switch songs at just the right time(when the vocals kick in, which sometimes isn't even 4 counts into the song) they would be greatly appreciated!!

DvlsAdvct
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Every transition and mix is just slightly different. There's no solid "rule" for how to mix every time. You're learning to beatmatch so start playing with EQ and levels to make tracks layer well so you can blend. Learn how to start tracks at different parts and loop them in to keep energy up. Honestly, just keep trying. You're going to start finding individual mixes that sound really great, and from there you'll discover WHY they sound great and how to get them to fit more and more.

Also, look at different mix techniques like cutting and FX. You'd be surprised with what little changes can do to the energy.

In my opinion, House, Dance, Pop and other general dance genres are pretty easy to mix once you have the basics down. Some songs, though, no matter how hard you try, will never mix well.

Jimanee
05-16-2012, 05:10 PM
If you really want it at "just the right time" do the mix over and over again at different points, measure and write down the best times to mix out of the track. I use a shorthand such as SM 0:40 for "Start mixing at 0:40 seconds of time remaining of playing track".

I do this for the warm up sets where I work, when it's just 10 people in a club it must be tight.

In general for the rest of the evening I'm often mixing tracks I've never played before (or lol even listened to), I just use my knowledge of phrasing to get it nearly right.

There are also EQ tricks you can use to minimmise the effects of bad phrasing...

de.j.l
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I generally just preview my track and get the "feel" for how they would chive together... once you get your beatmatching perfect, you will start exploring.

DJcraycray
05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Also, look at different mix techniques like cutting and FX. You'd be surprised with what little changes can do to the energy.

Yea I'll definitely try adding some FX to my mixes, they always seem to flow(as long as you pick the right one) the songs together. Thanks!

DJcraycray
05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Everybody has their own way, thanks for the advice guys, I'll try all your suggestions!