PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice - Table, Facade, and Wash Lighting

Synaxis
02-07-2012, 06:59 PM
So, ever since I was a kid, DJing has always been a dream of mine. I always loved going to weddings and parties, just to see the DJ and all his equipment in action!

Anyway, now, that I'm in my first year of college, and saved up some money, I'm attempting to slowly piece together a mobile setup.

Essentially, my goal is to have a small, compact, yet elegant mobile setup. I basically want to minimize setup and tear down time, while still keeping a professional appearance.

This video shows what I'm trying to accomplish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zf4faqDKI

A small facade just like that, with a small table in the middle, and all my equipment in my rack on top.

I just don't like that keyboard?? stand he is using. I would prefer something more sturdy, to safely hold a 40+ lb rack.

Any recommendations for a smallish table and facade?

Also, I'm curious as to how some of you use your wash lights. Some DJs just place uplights behind them and under scrims, and don't use any additional washes pointing at the dance floor. Is that acceptable?

I was looking at getting two of the new Chauvet Colorband Pix Minis, http://www.chauvetlighting.com/colorband-pix-mini.html
And maybe mount them under both speakers, but then I worry that they are going to be too bright at that close of a range.

So I'm debating as to whether go for a more direct or indirect wash.

Thanks for the help!

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I cant view the video at work but those wash lights look really cheesey. Uplighting can be used as a wash in the same manor, plus it will look a lot better. Just my personal opinion.

Matt Ush
02-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I personally just use a home depot folding table and black table cloth. It works absolutely everywhere and matches with everything. Accent your speakers and behind the booth with up lights. I don't know what my problem with facades is but I find them to be cheesy. I like the crowd to see all my gear and neat wiring.

djtanveer
02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
around here we have costco and ive seen small 4' tables that would be perfect for you application. you can put the rack on it and you have space for microphones,cds, dmx controllers,condoms, etc. many people also make custom facades that will fit snugly around a specific Table. i eventually plan on doing this.

Synaxis
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I cant view the video at work but those wash lights look really cheesey. Uplighting can be used as a wash in the same manor, plus it will look a lot better. Just my personal opinion.

Why do you think they look cheesey? They are like upgrades ColorStrip Minis. But I do agree that uplighting looks nicer.

I personally just use a home depot folding table and black table cloth. It works absolutely everywhere and matches with everything. Accent your speakers and behind the booth with up lights. I don't know what my problem with facades is but I find them to be cheesy. I like the crowd to see all my gear and neat wiring.

Well, personally, I like the look of facades. Plus, I think it's much easier to put out a facade in a few seconds then spend half an hour making everything look nice and neat.

When you say, "Accent your speakers and behind the booth with up lights." you mean with speaker stand scrims right?

around here we have costco and ive seen small 4' tables that would be perfect for you application. you can put the rack on it and you have space for microphones,cds, dmx controllers,condoms, etc. many people also make custom facades that will fit snugly around a specific Table. i eventually plan on doing this.

I'll look into it. And yep, I was actually thinking about building my own custom facade, but I can't find frosted acrylic that is the right size.

Thanks for the help! +Rep

mems
02-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I've been looking into doing a similar setup but with either two colorstrip mini's or a ADJ mega bar 50 pair. I built my own facade with cloth instead of acrylic and it works well and is very light. I'm trying to decide between the above too. Might be worth looking into.

srd4484
05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
just built my own 2x3 4 panel facade. I'm using cloth as a screen but may switch to a corrugated or acrylic screen. Went to Lowe's the white corrugated sheet didn't allow much light through from the Taotronics light rope on amazon. They did have a nice acrylic sheet but would cost $100 for 4 pieces I need. I spent about $100 making my own.

robare99
05-22-2013, 07:11 PM
These work tables are around $45

http://m.homedepot.ca/product/ProductDetails.aspx?productid=976622&lang=EN

WillieB69
05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
http://gal.patheticcockroach.com/var/albums/humor/thread-necromancy/arise_dead_thread.jpg?m=1341417799

Synaxis
05-22-2013, 07:29 PM
This thread is over a year old guys... But, uh, Thanks for the help regardless!

I already built the facade last year lol. It's already too small for my needs unfortunately so I'll be building a new one in a couple months!

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11203-Built-a-Small-Facade&highlight=built+facade