PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptops to usb mixers

borrow
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Hello guys,

I have my eye's on the DJX900 from Behringer, or maybe ill save up more for the DJM850/DJM900 from pioneer.
They both have USB interfaces so i am wondering how do you connect a laptop to it, and how do u use the cdjs?
dO u just plug in your laptop with a USB cable to your laptop than connect the cdjs to the mixer and put the switch on usb for the cdjs?

And if that works do the cdjs have to be midi controllerble cdjs and wil they just work then or do they still need timecoded disks?

I know i am asking alot of questions sorry for that :)

Greets borrow

Nicadraus
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
The Behringer DJX900 is not a MIDI capable mixer unlike the Pioneer DJM850 & DJM900. So the USB feature on the DJX900 is only good for recording purposes and nothing else. Maybe update the firmware too but that's about it. With regards to your CDJs, just connect them to the line input of the mixer. :)

borrow
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
hey thx!

So what mixer have midi functions, Besides the djm850 and djm900?
So i can connect any cdj to the mixer and the cdj will control traktor/vdj?
No timecoded discs needed?

Playback
05-15-2012, 02:13 PM
If you have 900s or 2000s you can use rekordbox, some cdjs have their own dvs but if you're trying to use scratch live without the hard ware by just connecting your mixer to your laptop it won't happen. The only ones I can think of you using is like Virtual DJ

Nicadraus
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
hey thx!

So what mixer have midi functions, Besides the djm850 and djm900?
So i can connect any cdj to the mixer and the cdj will control traktor/vdj?
No timecoded discs needed?

You can't control Traktor with CDJs unless the mixer is Traktor certified or you have an NI audio4/6/8/10 interface. Using the CDJs with Traktor Scratch or Serato Scratch also requires time coded CDs or time coded file on a USB stick, if the CDJ has a USB input.

borrow
05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
If i have cdjs 350, 400, 850 or 2000's and connect those to a laptop two wil that work? they are also midicontrollers right? And do i need a midi mixer if so?

Playback
05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
If they're midi controllers no. But I don't think 400s are midi controllers.

borrow
05-16-2012, 01:36 AM
that last answere didn't made sence in anyway... so can some one tell me how i should connect my laptop with traktor or vdj to 2 cdjs that also has midi function like the pioneers 350, 400, 850, 900 and 2000's and a mixer like the djm 850, djm 900 or behringer ddm 4000?

So that everything wil work?

DannyAK
05-16-2012, 01:58 AM
the last answer made sense. you are the one that doesn't make sense. It has already been explained. hook up the cdj's to the mixer and then run virtual dj with timecoded cd's.

Nicadraus
05-16-2012, 01:59 AM
that last answere didn't made sence in anyway... so can some one tell me how i should connect my laptop with traktor or vdj to 2 cdjs that also has midi function like the pioneers 350, 400, 850, 900 and 2000's and a mixer like the djm 850, djm 900 or behringer ddm 4000?

So that everything wil work?

Your question has been answered already. So asking it again doesn't make any sense.

Andrew B
05-16-2012, 02:09 AM
If i have cdjs 350, 400, 850 or 2000's and connect those to a laptop two wil that work? they are also midicontrollers right? And do i need a midi mixer if so?

Yes, with Traktor Pro or VDJ. Yes. No. You'll need to send audio to the mixer via an audio interface, unless you get a mixer with a built-in soundcard.

If you're planning on just using MIDI, with both CDJs and a mixer, you might as well just get a controller. Otherwise you're just wasting money.

Phi
05-16-2012, 02:16 AM
If you're planning on just using MIDI, with both CDJs and a mixer, you might as well just get a controller. Otherwise you're just wasting money.

I agree

borrow
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Yea sorry i didn't understand the "If they're midi controllers no. But I don't think 400s are midi controllers."

But now i understand that he was talking about the usb/midi mixer.

About the Midi controller thing you guys are correct, i already have a mixtrack pro and i am maybe just going to get a S4.
But i want to practice beatmatching and playing with cdj's in the club where i can play from time to time they have a djm 800 with cdj 1000 mk3's.
The way i preform now is i hook my mixtrack up to the mixer.(i can't go directly into the soundsystem with my mixtrack because the dj after me needs to preform with cdj's, i the sound would go out if we have to switch).

So what i mean to say i need to practice playing with a mixer and cdj's with just cd's and usb's, but i don't want to just stop with digital mixing so i was wondering if there is a way to enjoy both with just one system.

dj_vc
05-16-2012, 09:31 AM
CDJ 400's can be used as midi controllers. they were one of the first CDJs that are midi capable.

Additionally for USB enable mixers without midi, you generally can playback as well as record. ie. mixer is a USB soundcard with in/out for the connected PC. audio playback can be routed through a channel on the mixer or the misers master output can be recorded on the PC.
I have an Allen and Heath Xone 42 wich has usb but no midi and CDJ 400s. I can use the CDJs as controllers but the mixer can only act as I stated previously since no midi.

bturgan
10-28-2012, 01:16 PM
At the moment I am using my Behringer DJX 700 with Traktor soundcard. So If I buy this mixer DJX900 I will not need a sound card I?

So this mixer has a soundcard ? Or is this cable for only recording so I will need my sound card again to get 2 diff. sounds at the same time.

Thanks

Berke

JonAvalon
10-28-2012, 03:48 PM
At the moment I am using my Behringer DJX 700 with Traktor soundcard. So If I buy this mixer DJX900 I will not need a sound card I?

So this mixer has a soundcard ? Or is this cable for only recording so I will need my sound card again to get 2 diff. sounds at the same time.

Thanks

Berke
Yes the DJX900 only does recording or audio to one channel only, you will still need the separate traktor audio interface.

bturgan
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes the DJX900 only does recording or audio to one channel only, you will still need the separate traktor audio interface.

i think thats so useless, thanks tough

hattorihansa
05-29-2013, 06:27 PM
i have an audio 6interface and a behringer djx900 (+macbook pro +traktor +X1+F1) how do i record my mixes?

ampnation
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm not competent to speak to this, but know there's a distinction... the 400's have HID which I understand is different from being a standard midi controller. I used to have a pair of 400, but didn't use them for DVS... just played audio and mp3 CD's on them with an analog mixer (Nuo 3).

DJESSPA**NYC
06-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Buy a Denon DN-X1600 or save up more money and buy the 1700 or zone db2... All these mixers work with Traktor because they have sound cards that can communicate with the software. Plenty of other mixers can work with Traktor but theses are the best buys. Generally your going to need to drop a G to have the proper setup or buy a sound card.