PDA

View Full Version : Black Lights?

kipperj
05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Does anyone use black lights for anything in their setup? Does anyone think they could light up a facade made from white lycra?

I have quite a few lying around and I was seeing if there was any way I could incorporate them into my mobile setup.

Thanks in advance!

windspeed36
05-14-2012, 10:47 PM
They're quite heavy and some don't have a very long throw, especially when other lights are being used. Never used it for mobile use, only a few found at fixed installs at schools.

kipperj
05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I also thought about putting it above my table where it would light up my mixer and my notebook pages/binder pages. Any thoughts?

DYM
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I also thought about putting it above my table where it would light up my mixer and my notebook pages/binder pages. Any thoughts?

Try it, take pics and let us know :tup:

kipperj
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Try it, take pics and let us know :tup:

Haha, I would have already, but I don't get as much time with my stuff as I'd like to. I was looking to get more creative than that, though. I'll try it out tomorrow and I'll definitely be looking for second opinions.

DYM
05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Are you specifically looking to use black lights as a light source atop your table?

kipperj
05-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Are you specifically looking to use black lights as a light source atop your table?

TBH, I didn't really have any specific ideas. It was the only thing I could think to do, which is why I came here to see if anyone else used them for anything else. Just trying to find some other options if they exist.

Roshanbhoj
05-15-2012, 01:00 AM
I've done blacklights mounted on upright trussing going onto the crowd. It was a large gym and it went pretty well but it took big industrial blacklights. I'm sure you could light up your booth somehow

Coronaoperator
05-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Does anyone think they could light up a facade made from white lycra?

It would light up certain fabrics, you'd have to try it out. It would also light up any lint you have on your clothes unless your wearing a white shirt!

Whines
05-15-2012, 09:00 AM
I use four ADJ Eco UV strips. Really easy to carry around in a rifle case, nice purple light along with the UV.

Buszaj
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
If you want them for the crowd, get blacklight cannons and put them on upright truss.

http://desertfalconrising.com/zencart/images/Chauvet_BLK_Shadow_400Watt_BLKLGT_Cannon.gif

kipperj
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, I just have a few 4 footers and some smaller ones. I'm just trying to put them to use, not actually buy some

Coronaoperator
05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
If you want them for the crowd, get blacklight cannons and put them on upright truss.

http://desertfalconrising.com/zencart/images/Chauvet_BLK_Shadow_400Watt_BLKLGT_Cannon.gif

Those cannons have VERY little output. They are more like 380watts heat, 20 watts uv light.

Elation UV wash is about the best for output. Multiple 4'-8' florescent tubes work well. I haven't had too much experience with the led uv washes but the higher powered ones look promising.

DJBradMerrill
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Black lights are hard to work into a mobile setup. It's easy for them to get drowned out by other lights, so I rarely use them.

However, at one of my gigs, there was a big white screen behind my setup area, so pointed 2 black lights back at it and it lit up nicely. I think they're better for things like that than for the crowd. Be creative.

Dave Daschofsky
05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I've got a pair of elation UV washes that I mount vertically on my light stands a few inches under the lights on the top bar, angled in toward the dance floor. Before I got those I used dual 4 footers mounted that way and it worked pretty well, the elations are better though.

Buszaj
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Those cannons have VERY little output. They are more like 380watts heat, 20 watts uv light.

Elation UV wash is about the best for output. Multiple 4'-8' florescent tubes work well. I haven't had too much experience with the led uv washes but the higher powered ones look promising.

I remember we rented a couple in for our venue once. They covered the area well, but they sure did put off a lot of heat :S

Dave Daschofsky
05-16-2012, 02:22 AM
I remember we rented a couple in for our venue once. They covered the area well, but they sure did put off a lot of heat :S
they use a ton of power too, if you're running two of them on a 15a circuit don't run anything else.

MrDJ
09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I am reviving this thread. I have been looking around at some different black lights for a party I am doing an a few months. I have been looking at the Chauvet Shadow for its size and it seems to have some pretty cool patterns with it and it is DMX. Has anybody used the Shadow and what do you think? I am thinking about getting 3 of them to put across my truss to light up a dance floor and to help a small room glow. I have seen posts on here about some different lights but not much about the Shadow. Thanks for the help!

Johnnotestine
09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I am reviving this thread. I have been looking around at some different black lights for a party I am doing an a few months. I have been looking at the Chauvet Shadow for its size and it seems to have some pretty cool patterns with it and it is DMX. Has anybody used the Shadow and what do you think? I am thinking about getting 3 of them to put across my truss to light up a dance floor and to help a small room glow. I have seen posts on here about some different lights but not much about the Shadow. Thanks for the help!

Get 2 of the ADJ UVLedbar16's for better coverage.

MrDJ
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Get 2 of the ADJ UVLedbar16's for better coverage.

Unfortunately, I think that the UVLEDBar16s are out of my price range. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Chauvet Shadow or the ADJ Eco Bar UV. I like the Shadow because it is DMX and it had strobing and different patterns but the Eco Bar seems to cover more area. Do you have any experience with the Eco Bar?

My budget is somewhere in the $400-450 range. Thanks for the help!

Johnnotestine
09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, I think that the UVLEDBar16s are out of my price range. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Chauvet Shadow or the ADJ Eco Bar UV. I like the Shadow because it is DMX and it had strobing and different patterns but the Eco Bar seems to cover more area. Do you have any experience with the Eco Bar?

My budget is somewhere in the $400-450 range. Thanks for the help!

Yes, I have seen the Eco Bar. It has decent coverage (not as good as the UVLEDBar16), but I will never buy another light that is not DMX.

BillESC
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
UV Panel from ADJ, real UV and $ 199 each delivered to your door.

http://americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=1513

Johnnotestine
09-03-2013, 08:26 PM
UV Panel from ADJ, real UV and $ 199 each delivered to your door.

http://americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=1513

We have one of those too. I rarely use it. It is extremely heavy and the lights are fragile. I'd still spring for the ADJ UVLED. It is a little out of your budget, but budgets were made to be broken.

Here is two open boxes with warranty for a total of $500, just $50 out of budget: http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-DJ-UVLED-Bar16-Blacklight-UV-LED-Bar-Wash-Light-Fixture-/300957203528?pt=US_DJ_Lighting_Single_Units&hash=item4612727c48

Also, get a quote from Bill. He has great prices and is the best dealer I have ever worked with.

superlativeevents
09-10-2013, 06:38 PM
There is an issue with the wavelengths with the LED UV lights, they don't emit the wavelenghts that really "glow" like other blacklights. We've got a Chauvet Shadow 125 and it does pretty well for smaller spaces, takes a while to warm up. For events more than 100 people or blacklight highlighter parties the best lights we've used are the wildfire long throw black lights. They really will light up a large space and make everything glow like crazy. We rent them locally because they run something like 2k for the 400 series long throw versions.

light-o-matic
09-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Blacklight art is the norm for psytrance (what I mainly play), so I've worked with it a lot.

First of all, yea, white lycra will usually glow very well, just test the fabric you are buying with a uv flashlight if you want to choose the best fabric.

Second, blacklight is not really that great for lighting your DJ table because while it gives great contrast for some things it's equally awful for other things. I use red lights to light my DJ tables.. they're dim but allow me to see what I need to see. But if you have some UV and some red, that's nice.

Bassline Brine
09-10-2013, 10:59 PM
We use American DJ Eco bars (plus I think they are). We use between 4 and 8 for a small venue, and almost all of our deco is UV reactive in one way or another. It allows us to really keep the lighting down, have pop, and we generally have someone doing body art / uv facepainting as well which people really enjoy. It wouldn't be perfect for every venue or space, but it can really make a place pop if used correctly.

I'm not really in the psytrance scene myself but some of the art they do has really inspired me personally and I love that direction with shows.

DJ Grimes
03-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Was just asked to do a party where all they want is Rap music and black lights... I can imagine what is going to take place... but it is what it is. Trying to figure out what kind of lights to get. I think I might go with the ADJ UVLedbar16's.

BillESC
03-31-2014, 08:07 PM
If this is a rare request, just run up to Yonkers and rent a couple UV fixtures from Altman Stage Lighting. If you need help, let me know, I've been a dealer of their's for 41 years.

lburners
03-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Someone recommended these new unit to me as I am looking for something LED right now as well. They look like they might do the trick but I would love to see them in person before purchase.
http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2245&Category=Black_Lights&txtSearch=

VJ LouNYC
03-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Someone recommended these new unit to me as I am looking for something LED right now as well. They look like they might do the trick but I would love to see them in person before purchase.
http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2245&Category=Black_Lights&txtSearch=

I am about to purchase some UV lighting as well. I am in between a pair of:

American DJ UV COB Cannons http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2245&Category=Black_Lights&txtSearch= ($399) 81W, 33 Degree Beam angle. These reach the back of any catering hall.

Or

American Dj ECO UV Bar DMX http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2234&Category=Black_Lights&txtSearch= ($179) 54W, 120 Degree Beam angle and a lot of coverage.

I got great quotes on both products. Both have advantages. I'll let you guys know which one I go with.

BillESC
03-31-2014, 08:48 PM

If you're dead set on buying, I'll match or beat any one's quote.

DJ Grimes
04-01-2014, 04:57 PM
If this is a rare request, just run up to Yonkers and rent a couple UV fixtures from Altman Stage Lighting. If you need help, let me know, I've been a dealer of their's for 41 years.

Thanks Bill... Leaning towards adding them to my lights a la carte. Seems to be popular all of a sudden.