PDA

View Full Version : turntables or cdjs?

electricsmooth
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Nice to see djforums back up.

Anyways, I'm contemplating selling my Denon 3700s due to lack of native support for serato or traktor for that matter. I'm currently using Serato and there is nothing displayed on the units and none of the buttons light up. Superficial? Yes but I am just not happy with a flagship model not supporting Serato or Traktor. I'm taking a stand. hahaha.

I mix a litle bit of everything and I was looking at getting a pair of cdj 2000s but can't afford that right now.

So, in the meanwhile, I thought I'd grab a pair of technics 1200s, and re-sell them once the 2000s become more affordable. I've never used (real) turntables (went from vci-300 to NS7 to my current 3700s) so i figured this would be a good way to get a feel for them and who knows, maybe I'll never want to go back. In addition, the good thing with the technics is that you can normally sell them for the same price you bought them.

Opinions? Thoughts? Keep in mind I am a mobile Dj so don't know what the technics are like for transporting.

Thanks

Dantron
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
If you go with turntables there will certainly be a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them it's hard to go back to CDJs. The feel of them, the fun of them, the look of them, it's all fantastic. You could end up like me, start on CDJs, get Serato + Turntables, sell Serato and now I'm 100% vinyl, and I don't ever see that changing(the digital only tunes that I REALLY REALLY want I have cut to dubs, too).

JohnXVI
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Get the case set that is also a trolley. No big deal. If you feel comfortable using the 3700s, you will be surprised that Techs are even easier to manipulate.

electricsmooth
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I think that is what I'm going to do. Don't know if I could go completely vinyl with no dvs but my hat goes off to you sir. Reps all around

JohnXVI
02-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Glad to help :tup:

Dantron
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Sold another one! Enjoy turntables :)

B.Frank
02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
If you go with turntables there will certainly be a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them it's hard to go back to CDJs. The feel of them, the fun of them, the look of them, it's all fantastic. You could end up like me, start on CDJs, get Serato + Turntables, sell Serato and now I'm 100% vinyl, and I don't ever see that changing(the digital only tunes that I REALLY REALLY want I have cut to dubs, too).

I definitely enjoy turntables more than cdjs too. I started with my own cdjs and added on traktor scratch after a while. My friend had a tt/ssl setup so we'd switch off on occasion and I definitely enjoyed the feel of technics better than the pioneers, so I sold my cdjs last week and am currently looking for some techs :lol:.

djdavidvaux
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I went from years of using the 1200s to now using cdj2000s.

The only reason I would ever say to stay on vinyl is this:

1) scratching
2) cool factor
3) price

Otherwise I love my cdjs. Lots of DJs who was vinyl junkies frown upon the digital movement. But honestly, the cdj is the best thing I've ever purchased in my dj career.

I say go CDJ.

djlukewathey
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
i started with dennon dns1200s then to pioneer cdj800 now im useing tech 1200 with vinyl only and i love it for variouse reasons like going to a few of my local record shops (i live in manchester so there is a few)

and the feel of a record when your cueing up... i just think with vinyl its more personal.

my opinion only though:):)

Atomisk
02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
CDJs. Turntables are for posers who waveride on Serato and old coots that can't give up vinyl :smash:

DJ Gridiron
02-11-2012, 03:22 PM
This is my opinion, The songs that are hot and the tracks people are dancing too are not being pressed on vinyl so i was leaning towards cdjs but here come my friends that use the technics saying techs are a better feel. Im at a crossroad

XxBooshxX
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
It's like CDJ's is the like the new way to DJ, and I won't complain but you can burn loads of CD's with any track in any order. But I lean towards Technics I love the classic and original feel. Makes me feel as I'm starting from the beginning. Alot of legendary DJ'sstartes with just turntables. I'm not saying I hate CDJ's I actually wanna get a pair in the near future so I have both but when I use turntables just feels more original.

Bassline Brine
02-11-2012, 06:08 PM
You know, I'm relatively new to mixing. Still in the bedroom and house parties. I own 1200's and Serato, and I was really on the fence about CDJ's.

And I still am. Potentially thinking of selling them for CDJ's, because honestly... it's a fuck of a lot easier to set up eventually in the clubs, and places have had some "open" EDM nights around here that have been CDJ (no laptop) only that would have been great to jump in on.

If you are okay with having a laptop in your setup, or want to play straight vinyl, go with Turntables. There really is something about the visceral feel of it that can't be matched by anything else. I absolutely love it.

But for ease, especially with the newer CDJ's taking USB sticks, CDJ's are the way to go imo.

I can't justify the price of CDJ's right now, but if I could, I would get them in a heartbeat and probably ditch Serato as well. But settling for a half-assed CDJ wouldn't cut it for me either. And 1200's are still cheaper than the good CDJ's.

So it's a highly charged thing. Personally I think you'll grow faster with just CDJ's and having to manually beatmatch them (or use rekordbox whatever) than relying on a laptop, but that's just me and what I've seen in my area.

Chay
02-11-2012, 07:48 PM
You know, I'm relatively new to mixing. Still in the bedroom and house parties. I own 1200's and Serato, and I was really on the fence about CDJ's.

And I still am. Potentially thinking of selling them for CDJ's, because honestly... it's a fuck of a lot easier to set up eventually in the clubs, and places have had some "open" EDM nights around here that have been CDJ (no laptop) only that would have been great to jump in on.

If you are okay with having a laptop in your setup, or want to play straight vinyl, go with Turntables. There really is something about the visceral feel of it that can't be matched by anything else. I absolutely love it.

But for ease, especially with the newer CDJ's taking USB sticks, CDJ's are the way to go imo.

I can't justify the price of CDJ's right now, but if I could, I would get them in a heartbeat and probably ditch Serato as well. But settling for a half-assed CDJ wouldn't cut it for me either. And 1200's are still cheaper than the good CDJ's.

So it's a highly charged thing. Personally I think you'll grow faster with just CDJ's and having to manually beatmatch them (or use rekordbox whatever) than relying on a laptop, but that's just me and what I've seen in my area.

There are alternatives to CDJs ;)

Sigma
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
If you're a turntable head, I think you just know. I could never use anything else. Convenience is of no consequence to me.

mantis
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
i like cdj - its easy and convenient. The cdj 2000 is awesome and all you need is a usb drive and you are set to go.

dont worry what other people think, just do as you want.

Hausgeist
02-11-2012, 09:23 PM
dont worry what other people think, just do as you want.

-nySkau-deI

ampnation
02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
the digital only tunes that I REALLY REALLY want I have cut to dubs, too.

I'm clueless about vinyl. What's that mean? Can you create your own vinyl from electronic formats? If so, why would that be better than DVS?

BuddyUK
02-12-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm assuming he goes to a record pressing plant and his dubplates engineered and cut there, unless he has his own cutting equipment.

mantis
02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
is that still posible? isnt that extremely expensive?

Lost Connection
02-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Possible, yes. Expensive, very. That's why any person with a budget goes for DVS.

BuddyUK
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
so everyone with a DVS is an experienced sound engineer then yes? GIGO

ampnation
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
so everyone with a DVS is an experienced sound engineer then yes? GIGO

One should never confuse equipment with experience.

Lost Connection
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
One should never confuse equipment with experience.

:tup:

And sorry Buddy, I think I missed the part where I said "everyone with a DVS is an experienced sound engineer". I said people who are on a budget, as in people who don't want to pay a lot of money for every single vinyl record they make, will buy DVS or some other DJ gear.

iammongo
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
As a mobile DJ i want to reduce my exposure to mishaps as much as possible. Thats why i go with a CDJ / DVS combo approach.
I started out as a turntable DJ and had too many times where a big gob of dust would send my needle flying into no mans land :lol: Now i'm sure this was purely from my own neglect but it still happened.

I have used CDJ's now since the mid 90's and my experience has been that the things are fairly bulletproof. In the last couple years i've been creeping towards getting the CD's out of the equation as well. I now only take 1 small case of emergency CD's just incase, otherwise it's traktor 2 sending the tunes into my mixer and being manipulated by the cdj's.

manythings
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I find that the feel and control of turntables is amazing, far superior than the CDJs (for mixing and scratching). The only gripe I have with them is when they are used in poorly designed dj booths or big room booths, where feedback from monitors and the sound system is very likely. It makes them very subject to skipping and it's difficult to scratch on at times. You'll find yourself going into internal mode often.

With CDJs there isn't much fault to have except with the CDs, which I've only had one problem on them before.

Turntables are still the way to go for me but that's just for me as I started on tables.

You really have to try it out for yourself though. It's a pretty big preference thing. The tradeoffs are known, it's just choosing what is more important to you

Smaze
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM

Thats insane...

Budzak
02-16-2012, 05:13 AM
I have a pair of 1200s and I use SSL. I love the setup and will probably hold onto it.

However, if I were do it again? I'd probably pick up a pair of CDJs, myself. All my tunes are digital. Not much hassle to burn to CD. Oh, and most importantly: Every event I've ever been to has CDJs as the default setup. I don't want to be that guy bringing my laptop and clumsily hooking up my interface during the end of some other guy's set. I just want to walk up and rock what's there.

So with that said, I'm constantly keeping watch for a deal on a pair of 400s.

mbarn
02-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I picked up a pair of cdj-350s for $550 from some guy on craigslist. I thought it was a good deal.

electricsmooth
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The thing with the Techs is that you don't have to worry about upgrading. I can go out and buy the cdj 2000s today but in a gfew years, I'll be wanting to upgrade. That is another reason why I'm thinking techs. I also have concerns being primarily a mobile dj. I am worried about turntable skipping.

decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just hold on to my Denons.