PDA

View Full Version : 20-year-old college student here

JoshB410
05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
What's up djforums?

I'm Josh, i'm a 2nd-year student studying Marketing & Logistics and just came across your forums.

Always been interested in music, mostly rap & hip-hop with a recent interest in house music, and have been the one to find music for my friends and have a generally good taste for talent.
Recently a good friend of mine, a 4th-year student, has started rapping. One of the nicest guys I know and extremely intelligent (www.youtube.com/calscrubeats).
With his popularity spike on campus and the surrounding area he has been doing opening sets for artists like Timeflies, Chip Tha Ripper, & J. Cole.

He has been working with guys like DJ EV (from Cleveland), DJ D-Lo (Cincinnati), & DJ E-Trayn (Cincinnati)...if those names mean anything to you.
I got to see all of these guys as well as some aspiring DJ's compete at the Red Bull Thre3style Competition this past weekend and watching all of them do what they did with music really sparked an interest for me. It was really rewarding to watch what they could do with 3 genre's of music in a 15-minute window.

In NO way do I plan on becoming what they are....but being on a campus, I think it would be neat to make this enough of a hobby where I could go to my friend's house parties and be the one controlling the music everyone is listening to.

I'm a friendly guy and pretty smart...so I will be browsing through the Beginner forums and trying to post here and there.

I have Virtual DJ Free installed on my intel i7 HP laptop. No hardware, but a friend of mine has the Hercules MP3 e2:
http://www.hercules.com/thumb/?q=95&w=308&h=308&src=/data/inetpub/www.hercules.com/fichier/h_photo/442/photo_file_djcmp3e2prod_715.png&f=jpeg&bg=FFFFFF
that I may try and mess around with to start the learning curve.

Thoughts?

sss18734
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for... You want to get into DJ'ing and have the software and basic hardware to do it. Have at it!

JoshB410
05-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for... You want to get into DJ'ing and have the software and basic hardware to do it. Have at it!

Nothing specific, just introducing myself.

In looking around online to buy some hardware for myself instead of borrowing, I am seeing a lot of the Numark Mixtrack and Mixtrack Pro's around for sale. Worth buying a used one of these for $90-$130?

Defiance
05-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Nothing specific, just introducing myself.

In looking around online to buy some hardware for myself instead of borrowing, I am seeing a lot of the Numark Mixtrack and Mixtrack Pro's around for sale. Worth buying a used one of these for $90-$130?

I have a Mixtrack, sitting next to my desktop. It is also my backup unit. Until my residency, it was my most abused and used piece of equipment in college. It now serves the purpose of letting me mix something really quick after a download before it gets put on to my DJ laptop.

The one thing Numark I really love about it, and it is on both my Mixtrack and NS6, is the search knob, it is very quick to maneuver through your music. When I had a non-numark mixer, that was my biggest complaint lol

Celestial
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
welcome to the boards