PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Effect Plugin(s) Thread!

thehadgi
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Alright people, let's hear what your go-to effect plugin(s) is/are on every track you make!

1. Sugabytes WOW Filter - Tweakable envelopes, vowel filter, bandpass/lopass/highpass/comb filter/+more make it awesome.
2. ableton EQ and compressor - simple, lightweight, gets the job done
3. Waves IR-1 reverb. Sounds nice, but in the market for something new... Still sounds 'ringy'. Maybe I need to learn how to use it better :lol:

Let's keep synths and instruments out of this thread, we can make a new thread for instruments and such:tup:

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/Glitch.jpg

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Glitch features a pattern-based effects sequencer that takes the incoming audio, breaks it down into user-defined slices, and then applies different effects to each slice. The sounds it generates range from quite subtle to extremely bizarre, depending on how much you tweak the controls. Effects can either be programmed by hand to create specific desired patterns; chosen pseudo-randomly based on each effect’s probability level, with a user-defined seed value that optionally allows the same sequence of “random” effects to be chosen each time; or combined into a mixture of both methods to suite your own tastes.

One killer (FREE) VST right here :tup:

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewProduct.do?p=Ohmicide

http://d3qspu01806e0h.cloudfront.net/images/v4/ss/Ohmicide_funky.jpg

Ohmicide:Melohman is just one of the best software distortions ever made. And when you read "one of the best" you can be sure we're still humble guys: there aren't many decent distortions in the plug-in world, and none is as rich and complex, yet easy to use - and affordable - as this Ohm beast. It's common knowledge that "a great distorted sound changes everything" and it's exactly what Ohmicide:Melohman delivers. In one death blow. Ohmicide:Melohman can work with up to 4 frequency bands, all four bands having their own independent knobs for Noise Gate, Dynamics, Distortion, Feedback Generator and all mixing abilities, in addition of a twist of pre- and post-processing (distortion input, high shelf output and more). Its killer features are:

Band distortion: a heap of modern sounding stereo distortions that can feedback.
Band dynamic: alien compressor or expander, synchronized noise gate and more.
Multi-band stereo: Phase corrected multi-band stereo effect + optionally process in mid/side mode for more stereo field tweak-ability.
Melohman feature: midi controlled preset morphing or randomization. Remixers' new absolute must.
Great on guitar, bass, synth, drums and any living creature in general.

You'll be able to listen to the Ohmicide:Melohman distortions on the albums of artists such as Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Björk, David Bowie, Napalm Death, The Killers, and many others

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/massive/

http://producertoolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/massive.jpg

MASSIVE is a sonic monster – the ultimate synth for basses and leads. The analog concept belies the contemporary, cutting-edge sound it generates. The high-end engine delivers pure quality, lending an undeniable virtue and character to even the most saturated of sounds. The interface is clearly laid out and easy to use, ensuring you will have MASSIVE generating earth-shuddering sounds from the very first note.

the4thImpulse
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
1. iZotope Ozone 5
2. Antress Modern Compressor
3. Antress Modern Spacer

AbstractQuality
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
The D16 Silverline Collection is good. There was a group buy type thing a few months ago and I ended up getting all 5 of the plugins for the price of one ($55)

Toraverb - Good for big, dark reverbs and weird sounding refractions. Not so good for more 'room' like sounds though.
Decimort - Great decimator. Can add some really nice punch and crunchiness to drums.
Devastor - Awesome distortion. Can get much more than your standard distortion/overdrive sounds out of it.
Fazortan - Nice lush phaser action
Syntorus - Beautiful chorus.

I also have NastyDLA which is a free tape emulation delay. Sounds fantastic and is free.

Looking into getting Valhalla Shimmer and UberMod. Ubermod looks so unique and fantastic.
'

ezelkow1
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
-Another +1 for WOW filter
-Valhalla room reverb, best damn reverb ever
-D16 silverline, mostly for the distortions, like the chorus too though
-The rocket for drum compression
-rp-delay for all around delay duties, just grabbed lemasque though, seemed interesting

Still tempted by valhalla ubermod, just not sure if I can see myself using it, but all of valhalla's stuff is just hard to beat. Also like the nomad factory suite, picked it up during their big discount and magnetic, echoes, and some of the eq's and comps are nice to add some flavor

thehadgi
02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I've heard good things about valhalla room... gotta check that out

ezelkow1
02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Definitely do, best one Ive ever heard, even compared to ones at 5x the price. Thats also the general consensus Ive seen around kvr and gs

Forgot to add CamelSpace. When in doubt slap that on some drone/pad/drum loop, my go to for anything FSU, unless it needs to be super glitchy, then something from the reaktor lib gets sought after

Giran
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/Glitch.jpg

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

One killer (FREE) VST right here :tup:

Yeaaaaaaah buddy! Absolutely LOVE this plugin! :D

My favourite plugins are the FabFilter Bundle, DMG EQuality and Dada Life's Sausage Fattener! :zany:

Skeyelab
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
anything from SPL or Voxengo

mainstreamdjs
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
anything from SPL or Voxengo

Voxengo +2

mostapha
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I just realized how few plugins I actually use. The vast majority of my stuff goes through Logic or Maschine's stock plugins. I know I could do better, but it's so annoying to bother comparing them when some large part of me honestly believes that even basic hardware might yield better results for what I want.

That being said, if I could actually decide which company to trust on some basics, I'd probably just buy once and forget about it.

-Valhalla room reverb, best damn reverb ever

I'm going to have to give that a try. I need to find a good reverb. The ones I have just don't do it for me and I've been using stacked delays instead, which is getting tedious.

Ellissentials
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I just realized how few plugins I actually use.

Same here really.. I'm just getting really into VST's now. Live instruments / effects etc are SO powerful and vast in Live 8 Suite, that I've had no real need to use VSTs. Take Massive for example. It's just a quick way to get some advanced sounds, but if you chain together an Operator with Analog and throw a "Pitch Tracking" vocorder on a MIDI line, and automate the rates and variables, you get some NI Massive sounds.... nearly exact! Just takes a bit of work, but you can claim a more "original" sound that way, instead of editing presets in Massive.

I love Ableton Live, and feel that it's creativity potential is phenomenal and unlimited. :D

Tektonix
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Mine would be C:

1. Dblue Glitch
2. Ohmforce Ohmicide
3. Whoeverthefuckmadeit Camelphat

login
02-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I demoed fabfilter plugs: pro q, pro c, pro l. I liked them a lot but I dont have spare money to buy them.

SO I keep using ableton fx: eq 8, compressor, limiter, delays and reverbs.

Mystic
02-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Sonar Pro Channel is beast.
Also use a lot of Waves and FabFilter plugins

Ellissentials
02-09-2012, 06:51 AM
SO I keep using ableton fx: eq 8, compressor, limiter, delays and reverbs.

Those are so so powerful and quality in Ableton. Ableton can truly get most everything done without VST's, as long as they are automated and configured properly of coarse. :tup:

jaytoh
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I have just started to use Logic (still using reason) all I really seem to use is the PSP vintage warmer. I have a few other bits and pieces but find I just use what Logic gives me?! Love the space designer on it (just to add)

mainstreamdjs
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Those are so so powerful and quality in Ableton. Ableton can truly get most everything done without VST's, as long as they are automated and configured properly of coarse. :tup:

I use almost all of my ableton live plugins on my individual tracks...the eq 8 and the compressor are perfect and work very well. I also use the auto filter frequently. If I use outside plugins its very in frequently and its usually the same one....(I use sausage fattener very slightly constantly for the type of music I make).

On my master track or when I am mastering a track for someone else (I do masters for a few local groups, etc.) and I am going ITB I almost use outside plugins all the time...Ableton's dynamic processing and limiter can surely get it done but I just feel that its easier with the plugins I use....I also feel that there are specific plugins that I can make things really fat and clear (yes, I am a member of the loudness war) which I cannot do with ableton's own devices.

thehadgi
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Ableton's reverb has a tinny sound i'm not a fan of... on the other side though i like to use it because it has a freeze button, which basically takes one audio point in time and extends it however long you want. Very useful. Haven't learned how to get that effect any other way... but there's prob a way

mostapha
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah…I got Logic Express because all it was missing was Space Designer…which is why I'm looking for a reverb. But I was always planning on moving back to Pro Tools at some point anyway, so I didn't want to get reliant on something I couldn't use there.

But the stock plugins sound great to my ears unless you're looking for a very specific sound.

Part of the reason I'm considering moving to Pro Tools (besides slightly preferring it) is because BF76 (1176 clone) comes with it (instead of paying like $300 for the Waves version or more than that for UAD) and the Avid channel strip plugin in PT10 is kind of awesome.

I'd still need a reverb though. But valhalla room sounded decent when I tried it last night, only costs $50, and comes in RTAS. Nice. I need to play with it more, but that seems like a winner.

BTW, is it bad that my first-stage "is this marketing bunk or might it sound okay" litmus test is whether or not something is available as RTAS?

Ellissentials
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Ableton's reverb has a tinny sound i'm not a fan of

Unsure of the sound you're speaking of. I've always been able to configure it to the point when I'm happy. But yes, I do have other verb VST's that are a bit more.. ."proper" :D

mainstreamdjs
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Unsure of the sound you're speaking of. I've always been able to configure it to the point when I'm happy. But yes, I do have other verb VST's that are a bit more.. ."proper" :D

I use ableton's reverb over any other reverb I have. It's not the most natural but does the job- I am not a big fan off too much reverb anyway. I rather play with the verb within my synths and plugins if you know what I mean. The only time I really use the reverb is over vocals, etc.

Giran
02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Ableton's reverb has a tinny sound i'm not a fan of... on the other side though i like to use it because it has a freeze button, which basically takes one audio point in time and extends it however long you want. Very useful. Haven't learned how to get that effect any other way... but there's prob a way

What reverb would you recommend, and how exactly can I setup my reverb on my return channels? What exact parameters constitute a small, medium and large room reverb?

jaytoh
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Logic Pro is only £140 on the app store (well it was when I bought it)

Ellissentials
02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Valhalla is great for reverb (so I've heard.. I'm going to snag it and try it)

mostapha
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Logic Pro is only £140 on the app store (well it was when I bought it)

Yeah…it was $500USD when I bought it. Express was $200, and the upgrade was $300, which made sense. It had been a long time since I'd used Logic (Ableton and Pro Tools in the mean time). The good thing is that the "upgrade" to pro is $100 less now. The downside is that there's no benefit to owning Express first.

I'm really not sure how I feel about it, but it doesn't matter because they're not going to win me over from Avid now that I know my comptuer will run PT 10. So, uhh…yeah.

Anyway…back to plugins.

thehadgi
02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
What reverb would you recommend, and how exactly can I setup my reverb on my return channels? What exact parameters constitute a small, medium and large room reverb?

Way I do it is I put my waves ir-1 on a return channel in ableton, set up the plugin until I like the sound, and then run tracks I want reverb on to that channel. Reverb is usually a bit heavier of a cpu strain, so I don't see the point in putting the same plugin on every track, plus I like mixing in the amount of reverb I want without losing any of the dry signal.

thehadgi
06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
just switched over to valhalla room. Hands down the best and most modulate-able reverb i've ever used. And so cheap too! Highly recommend it

mostapha
06-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Agreed about the Valhalla stuff. Absolutely awesome. Got the tip from this thread and it's the first reverb plugin I actually really liked. I need to give Reverb One a try too.

Also, the Softube distortion/saturation plugin that comes with PT 10 is awesome. And Avid's new Channel strip. And, well, basically all of the Avid AAX stuff is fun.

I also did a mix with Waves NLS at a friend's place not too long ago. Loved it. I wish I could get another trial of Slate VCC to compare them without buying another iLok. That's the one down side of iLoks…you can't just delete a plist file or something to reset the demo period, and there appears to be no way to get the demo license off them. Whatever.

thehadgi
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
hehe mostapha you need to finally just bite the bullet and spring for the full pt10. or have you already?

mostapha
06-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Yep. On 10.2. Love it. Uninstalled Logic and Live as soon as I got it up and running and haven't looked back. The track on my soundcloud was the first thing done with it (+ Maschine and an HD2 system running PT8HD that I borrowed for the few parts that were tracked live). It's not amazing, but it's "finished". And it was fun.