PDA

View Full Version : Considering Upgrading, Thoughts/Advice? DJM to Xone

Buszaj
05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone, so I've been considering upgrading from my Pioneer DJM 700 to the A&H Xone 92, linear. Main reason for this would be the extra mid EQ, and filters, along with me liking new toys :P. Cost wise, it would be no issue for me, as I would be buying second hand, and I'd sell my DJM 700 for closely to the same price.

Now, the main reason slowing down my decision is the loss of the assignable effects. Yes, I realize many of you don't like them, but I use them occasionally, so I need them. If I got the 92, I would also buy an EFX 500, or perhaps a Korg KP3. The one thing I would truly miss is the roll effect. Thoughts on this potential setup? EFX or KP3?

chris15060
05-15-2012, 01:36 AM
Go for it! As a proud owner of a Xone92 I dont see myself getting another mixer any time soon. I think you'll be happy even with the lack of effects.

prODucer
05-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I would say DO IT! The Xone 92 is a way better mixer even if it is older. I loved the 92 when I owned it.

Jalapeno
05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
im gonna go against the grain here think the djm 700 is a far superior mixer. the djm much "newer", the crossfader is alot better, i hate the 4th eq band and IMO its an enormous pain in the ass when mixing with EQ and its pretty much useless compared to just a regular ole middle EQ band, basically the only effects a xone can use is delay/reverb because of the whole aux send thing(fucking stupid as shit for a DJ mixer), and i like the cueing alot better on a djm.

make sure you spend some time with them before you buy it. i dont care for xone dj mixers, even though i really like a&h live sound mixers. i just feel like a&h doesnt consult anyone who uses the stuff before its made. like the cue meter on their live boards ISNT IN STEREO how mindblowingly stupid! a&h makes good stuff but they always drop the bomb on something important that just screws it up.

hoff
05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
The DJM is by no means a 'far superior mixer'. The things you point out do have some validity, but they are more based on personal preference.

1. The 4th EQ may take getting used to, but many swear by it. This is up to the OP to decide.. and it looks like he's open to trying it.
2. The FX on the 700 are pretty shitty and outdated, so any external FX setup will sound better.
3. Cue'ing may be better on a djm, but it does the job on the 92 and shouldn't be a deciding factor when looking at the overall package
4. The filters on xone mixers are the best in the industry, and the fact that the 92 has 2 means you can manipulate 2 tracks at once.

As for external fx, make sure you try these out. The 500 is pretty outdated, but you might prefer the analog control over kp touch. That's really up to you.

Last point: If you want a xone with fx, and you're going to spend ~1k on the mixer and a few hundred on the fx, check out the xone db2. My review is on the main page. It's definitely worth checking out

prODucer
05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I second the db2 idea.

Adzm00
05-18-2012, 11:46 AM
The DJM is by no means a 'far superior mixer'. The things you point out do have some validity, but they are more based on personal preference.

This.

Also the EFX1000 is the way to go if you want an EFX, 500 is way too old and sounds a bit meh.

3/4 band EQ I am comfortable with either, although it has to be said the Xone cuing system is a bit annoying so is the lack of FX loop.

Synergy
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
db 2 or 4 for effects if thats ur thing, but the 92 is fucking killer. best mixer i have ever played on. the tracks literally mix themselves, just turn the knobs slightly. such a sick ass mixer. i will be getting one soon.

prODucer
05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
That's how it seems on the db2! Like the tracks mix them self with a slight turn of the knobs!! Love it!

Synergy
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
^^ Nice, i wanna play with one soooooo bad!

Jalapeno
05-24-2012, 04:17 PM

1. The 4th EQ may take getting used to, but many swear by it. This is up to the OP to decide.. and it looks like he's open to trying it.
2. The FX on the 700 are pretty shitty and outdated, so any external FX setup will sound better.
3. Cue'ing may be better on a djm, but it does the job on the 92 and shouldn't be a deciding factor when looking at the overall package
4. The filters on xone mixers are the best in the industry, and the fact that the 92 has 2 means you can manipulate 2 tracks at once.

As for external fx, make sure you try these out. The 500 is pretty outdated, but you might prefer the analog control over kp touch. That's really up to you.

Last point: If you want a xone with fx, and you're going to spend ~1k on the mixer and a few hundred on the fx, check out the xone db2. My review is on the main page. It's definitely worth checking out

the effects on the djm700 are the same ones as one the 800/900, you are thinking of djm 600.

and to the people drooling over the db2, its a digital mixer and does not have the traditional VCFs in xone mixers.

hoff
05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
the effects on the djm700 are the same ones as one the 800/900, you are thinking of djm 600.

and to the people drooling over the db2, its a digital mixer and does not have the traditional VCFs in xone mixers.

The same fx as the 800 ya, which are also pretty lame. They made some improvements with the 900 to sound better.. but still nothing compared to db2/db4.

and although the db2 doesn't have analog filters, they sound better than pio filters.

drumpusher
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I hated my 42 when I first got it, once I worked out a cueing method, I realised it's a damn good mixer for the money.

prODucer
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
What is this issue with cueing?? The db2 works exactly as the evo 4 does. What does Pioneer do differently? I owned a djm 400 and 909 but can't recall the cueing being any different?

Blueprint
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
The feel of the DJM 700 is pretty crappy even compared to the 800 imo. I'd take a 92 over it. A more realistic comparison in build quality would be the djm 800 vs Xone 92.

djpenguin
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't consider moving from a DJM-700 to a Xone:92 an upgrade, it's more of a lateral move. Both are older mixers, and I'm not really a fan of either one.

If you're thinking of spending that kind of money on a mixer, you owe it to yourself to at least look at some of the newer stuff that's out there on the market. If you're into effects, there are great offerings from Denon, Ecler, Rane, and Vestax that may suit your needs.

As a final word of warning, beware of anyone trying to sell you on Xone mixers because of their sound quality or filters. With line-level signal, the sound quality is roughly the same as any other decent mixer, and the filters are middling at best. Personally, I find the resonance settings to be ridiculously low, and more absurdly, the lowest resonance setting isn't non-resonant, so the filters make noise even when the filter knob is turned all the way up/down (LPF/HPF.) On top of that, the filters make an audible "pop" on the outputs when engaged or disengaged.