PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for an old man

Alexonguitar
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,
My dad and I have been doing mobile DJing for weddings for a combined 40 years. However, my dad is getting kind of old :) We are looking for a really good sounding speaker set up that is not too heavy. We are not very interested in a Bose system. To me they didn't seem very powerful. If someone disagrees I would like to hear from you because I honestly haven't listened to them that much.

The best option would be 2 powerful 15 inch speakers on tripods with a phenomenal low end that is powered and light weight. :) :) :) However, if that does not exist then 2 X 15 inch power speakers on tripods with 1 or 2 powered subwoofers on the floor as long as they are not too heavy either. We are money concious but it is not that big of a deal.

Our biggest concerns are the sound, wieght, and time it takes to set up (quicker the better). Any ideas?

sss18734
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
The Bose systems are more than adequate for most weddings, but are fairly limited on output.

It's hard to achieve great low end with mains alone... Maybe get a pair of QSC K10's along with something like the JTR Growlers?

What kind of vehicle do you use to transport your equipment? Heavy subs aren't very difficult to move around on casters if you have a truck or trailer.

Unknown DJ
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
RFC Art 10's only weight 30 pounds each:
http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-series/art-310-a

The RCF SUB 705-AS only weighs 70 pounds
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/sub-series/sub-705-as

Also FTB has some really light weight speakers:

Sub under 50 pounds
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/fbt-evomaxx-9sa.html

10 inch powered speaker under 22 pounds
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/fbt-evo-maxx-2a.htmll]

DJAkash
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
QSC kw181 x2, or QSC ksub x2, depending on how much sound you need, and for tops, the k10's are very lightweight speakers. This will fly well for medium sized venues but once again depends on size of venue.

Unknown DJ
05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Repost.

Evil Steve
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Here's a novel idea.
Why don't we find answers to some of these questions?
How many people does your dad usually play for?
What size rooms is he usually playing in?
What sort of PA is he using now?
Is it good for what he does?
What sort of music is being played over the PA?
Is it bass heavy?
What sort of age group is he usually playing for?
How loud does he expect the sound to be?
What sort of vehicle is he using to transport the gear?
Is storage space an issue?
What sort of budget are you looking at?

I'm sure lots of people could throw out ideas for wonderful equipment with no idea what it's going to be used for... Some already have.
Why not start by trying to identify what you really need, first?

Al Poulin
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey guys,

The best option would be 2 powerful 15 inch speakers on tripods with a phenomenal low end that is powered and light weight. :) :) :) However, if that does not exist then 2 X 15 inch power speakers on tripods with 1 or 2 powered subwoofers on the floor as long as they are not too heavy either. We are money concious but it is not that big of a deal.

Our biggest concerns are the sound, wieght, and time it takes to set up (quicker the better). Any ideas?

I recently tested Yamaha's new DXR15 powered speakers and was truly impressed. Plenty of clean power, excellent sound quality with surprising deep lows (with the D-Contour engaged), superb processing that keeps sound clean and musical at all levels and outstanding built-in mixer section. Only 49lbs a piece! These single powered 15s are the best I've tested so far and I highly recommend them.

Bose is generally overpriced garbage with limited output and low frequency extension, unless you use a half dozen of their ''bass modules'' loaded with impressive dual 5'' woofers. They can sound good when used within their limits, but the price is ridiculous IMO. Best used for solo performer or not so loud band in a not so big place. They do look pretty though and many people recognize the Bose name from seeing advertisements in Playboy magazine...

Al

gdawg55
05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Go have a listen to a pair of EV ZXa5. That is a speaker that could possibly get by without a sub in wedding events. They are 50lbs and have great output. They also give you an option of a 60deg or 90deg horn.

BillESC
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
^^^ Agreed.

Nick_EventPro
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Agree on the ZXA5, but as a full range option I like the KW152 much better. Side by side, not as crisp HF (the QSC has a smaller horn) but as a full range speaker without subs I'd take the QSC over the ZXA5 any day.

Also, I've heard of a number of problems with heat issues on the EV amps. Heat sinks not getting the job done. Heard of people I know (was not there first hand, but I do know these people directly) burning themselves on hot amps, as well as one unit catching fire. (No this person isn't an idiot, and no they weren't beating the crap out of the speaker- It was on a hot day outside though.)

jayhwk
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Also, I've heard of a number of problems with heat issues on the EV amps. Heat sinks not getting the job done. Heard of people I know (was not there first hand, but I do know these people directly) burning themselves on hot amps, as well as one unit catching fire. (No this person isn't an idiot, and no they weren't beating the crap out of the speaker- It was on a hot day outside though.)

I have never heard this before - I'd expect it would be big news if it were a widespread problem. EV is one of the largest loudspeaker manufacturers in the world - there would be a lot more chatter if they made a big mistake and there were amps catching on fire everywhere. Remember the uproar after the iTech series was released and had an abnormally high failure rate?

BillESC
05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Bosch, owner of EV, Telex and a host of other companies, is the worlds largest privately owned company. They stand behind their products 110%.

I never worry recommending their products, I use them and I sell them.

Alexonguitar
05-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Here's a novel idea.
Why don't we find answers to some of these questions?
How many people does your dad usually play for?
What size rooms is he usually playing in?
What sort of PA is he using now?
Is it good for what he does?
What sort of music is being played over the PA?
Is it bass heavy?
What sort of age group is he usually playing for?
How loud does he expect the sound to be?
What sort of vehicle is he using to transport the gear?
Is storage space an issue?
What sort of budget are you looking at?

I'm sure lots of people could throw out ideas for wonderful equipment with no idea what it's going to be used for... Some already have.
Why not start by trying to identify what you really need, first?

-He usually plays for any amount from 100 to 400 people.
-He plays in large banquet style rooms so he will need to play background music for the room and will need his microphone to carry across the room. After the reception he just wants some good thumping sound for the dance floor but doesn't care about the sound carrying to the back of the ballroom.
-Right now he has 4 X 15 inch speakers. He has two on tripods. These two have absolutely no bass. They are junk. He then takes his nicest yamaha speakers and puts them on the ground. We all know this is not working. He has lots of highs and decent mids. Hardly any bass. He uses a sonic maximizer and that helps a bit. He has a 4 channel mixer (most mixing is done on his computer) for the music and mics. Unsure what he is using for a amplifier but it is able to run all 4 of the speakers at once without a problem. We would be interested in getting rid of his amp if we found some powered speakers.
-His PA works for what he does. I DJ as well and I have great sound but I also have decided to haul around large subwoofers and heavy speakers and racks. This just won't work for him but when I listen to his system I cringe. It could be so much better but we just don't know where to start.
-He is playing oldies to todays pop, country, 80s rock, rap, techno, ect.
-Some of this music is bass heavy, yes.
-Most people getting married and those who are dancing are between 20 and 35. Don't get me wrong! There are some older people who sure can dance! But the majority of those dancing are within that range.
-It should be loud enough that you can have a group of people yelling "I want to rock and roll all night" and not have the crowd over power the system. When I dance and yell lyrics I prefer not to be able to hear myself much at all so it has to be loud and thumping.
-He will be transporting it in a Tahoe SUV. That is a great question. Because he does not use a trailor he has limited space.
-Storage outside of his vehicle is not an issue.
-Budget. He hasn't really specified but I am sure he is willing to spend $3000 on speakers. Maybe more. He is looking for the RIGHT system, so if he found the perfect thing he would probably spend more money on it. But if the perfect system is cheaper than that he would be fine as well!

Nick_EventPro
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I knew I'd get some bounceback on the EV comments. I'm not saying they aren't good speakers- they are great, and the company has a great reputation. I was just letting you know what I've heard and experienced in my market, and why I recommend the QSC's instead. In terms of the reliability, I trust the opinions and the experience of the people I've heard that from. In terms of my comments on the sound- I've A/B'd the two units side by side so I'm just giving my personal comments on that.

Evil Steve
05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I have an idea, but I'm a little hesitant to suggest it.

First; I don't think a Bose system is going to give your dad what he wants.
I don't think it will get loud enough for audiences on the large side of the requirements, and it definitely won't give enough bass, even for the small size audience requirements.

Second; It sounds like he might want to look at an entire system overhaul.
Good quality mixer, good quality wireless mic, some good processing would all be desirable, along with new loudspeakers.
A good set of loudspeakers will IMMEDIATELY remove the need for a sonic maximizer (aka sonic sodomizer).

Since he uses his computer to mix with, I'd suggest a single rack space mixer/preamp. I'm assuming from your post, that he doesn't do much beatmatching/mixing stuff. He just plays the songs one after the other. If he's only using one microphone, a mixer like a Rane MP2S (http://www.rane.com/mp2s.html) might do the trick. If he needs more microphone inputs, then he'd need a different mixer. There are other models out there. Rane is just the first one I thought of.

Opinions are like...
Well, everyone has opinions on wireless microphones. Some names I'd suggest looking at would be Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, and Line6. These are quality name brands. The receivers can be rack mounted. Those receivers could go in the same rack as the mixer (if he decides to go with a rackmount mixer).

Some form of processor might or might not be in order. I prefer the Driverack series from DBX. The ONLY reason why is that they offer many features that are useful for a mobile deejay, all in a single, rackmount package. With a Driverack PX or Driverack PA, you get feedback suppression (very desireable when drunken wedding guests are handling a microphone). You get crossover. You get some level of loudspeaker protection (compression & limiting). You get graphic and parametric EQ. All can be used or bypassed fairly easily.
As I said, with the loudspeaker/amp combination I'd suggest, the processing probably wouldn't be necessary.

Now for the PA suggestion. I'm going to put on my flame retardant undies here...
I'd suggest your dad look at a Yorkville Excursion EX2. (http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=41&id=270)
I've seen them used. I've rented them for parties I've done. I have always been satisfied with the performance.
They are available in urethane finish and "rat fur". My preference is paint finish, but I think I already mentioned what opinions are like.
Anytime I've used these, I've liked them for the purpose.
The purpose being exactly what your dad is doing. Parties of a wedding-like nature.
Other companies make similar systems (B52 comes to mind immediately) but those systems are only similar in the fact that they're a sub and two satellite speakers with the amp module in the sub. Beyond that similarity, I think the Yorkville product blows the competition out of the water.
There are drawbacks to using an all-in-one system, but if your dad is doing work of a consistent nature, I think that system would be a good fit.

Mixer, rack, wireless mic and the PA should all come in around $3k.
He'd probably be looking at a 2-space rack for mixer, mics, processing, and powerbar (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?s=80&c=80&o=&f=sku_rack_space_units-2-80).
A bag for speaker stands and mic stand.
The Excursion rig bundles up into one package on wheels.
A bag for mic, computer and minimal cabling...
Everything should fit in a Tahoe, with quite a bit of room to spare.
Next thing you know, he's going to want to start carrying lights, too.

My two cents.

rec
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
If you can do some basic wood working I would suggest BFM speakers. http://billfitzmaurice.net/
I will never use anything else. I just totally blew my church audio team away with a pair of 35lb/ea.. OT12's.
You could build a set of Jack 12 full range, get a DRPA+ or 260 and one light weight amp. You can always
build a pair of subs if you need more bass.

Al Poulin
05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I will repeat it, just because I believe it is ideal for what you are looking to do :

Do yourself a favor and go listen to a pair of Yamaha DXR15s. :) Engage the D-Contour. Boost the high frequencies on the outboard mixer just a little (leave everything else flat). Put on some familiar songs and crank up the volume. I am convinced the DXR15s are the best sounding powered 15'' speakers at their price point with some of the nicest low frequency reproduction I've heard from a single 15'' powered cab and a crisp and detailed high frequency section that is simply really enjoyable to listen to at all volumes. They are very likely my own next purchase. ;)

Al

Bill Fitzmaurice
05-15-2012, 10:40 PM
First off, if you want good bass separate tops and subs are the only way to get it. One piece cabs on a pole won't.
For a really easy to carry rig check out my SLA Pro.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17796
This video shows a pair along with a T39 sub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te8smTvfyjc

If DIY isn't an option contact the Authorized Builder closest to you.
http://www.billfitzmaurice.info/Builders.html