PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a durable Light Stand

xzsawq2007
05-08-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm looking to buying some light stands to put about four lights. Maybe two adj mega profile, one vertigo, and one mini starball. I heard there are some cheap light stands in which the collars break because they're plastic. I would like to avoid these. Does anyone have any suggestions? What brand do you use and about how much are they going for? Also can you use a speaker stand as a light stand? Thanks!

Dave Daschofsky
05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Ultimate support stands are awesome. Mine have a clutch so when you lift it it only moves one way and when you want to lower your lights you just twist the clutch the other way and it drops as slow or fast as you want. Mine also have an insert so you can use them as speaker stands too.

Silver Man
05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I use onstage stands. They have the plastic collars, but the big plus is that they have a pin that goes through the tube that takes the majority of the weight. http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/ls7720blt/grp/GRP000026

The only thing I don't like is that their logo is purple and white and they place it on the leg. I took a piece of gaff tape and covered over it so all is good. The clutch system sounds nice also.

Dave Daschofsky
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I use onstage stands. They have the plastic collars, but the big plus is that they have a pin that goes through the tube that takes the majority of the weight. http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/ls7720blt/grp/GRP000026

The only thing I don't like is that their logo is purple and white and they place it on the leg. I took a piece of gaff tape and covered over it so all is good. The clutch system sounds nice also.

Before I got my current stands I had an onstage one, it ended up falling over because my backup DJ set it up without spreading the legs out enough and it wasn't balance. The tubing bent really bad and the plastic T junction at the top broke. None of the lights were hurt but it was enough to decide to go with sturdier stands. The clutch on the ultimate support stands makes it a lot easier to lift and the top bar is really thick. Overall they're very high quality, they're also fairly expensive. (on my on-stage stand I took the stupid logo off by carefully using a heat gun and peeling it off)

DJ Riddims
05-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Global Truss ST-90. I feel confident hanging my lights on this stand unlike my old On Stage stands.

DYM
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Spread the stands' legs so the metal/plastic bar connecting each leg to the base creates a 90 degree angle... gives best support.

djscrizzle
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I like the LS7720BLT by Onstage stands, since it's got a true 1 3/8" top bar, instead of the square tubing that most stands have up top. You have to take care with the stands n be easy on them, try to always get it into it's stand bag post-show... They aren't all that expensive.

In the 5 years I've had mine, all I've had to replace on mine was the center locking piece, which was around $12 shipped from On-Stage's parts Dept.

xzsawq2007
05-11-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm looking into buying the onstage due to price. But i like the ultimate too.

Dave Daschofsky
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm looking into buying the onstage due to price. But i like the ultimate too.

Save up for the ultimate, the top bar is tough enough to beat a gorilla to death without bending. You don't want to be using an onstage stand if you ever get attacked by a gorilla.