PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Small Portable PA System

Synaxis
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey,

I'm in the market for a new PA, but I'm looking for something compact and portable.

Size and weight are my primary concern, for the simply reason that I don't have a very large car, and my whole goal is to have a small, compact setup in general.

I was looking at some options, such as the EV ZXA1, or the RCF ART310A, but I haven't been able to hear either of them personally yet.

Are there any other cabinets I should take into consideration?

I don't do events over 100 people, and mostly just top 40 music.

Budget wise, I'd like to keep it under/around $1000.

I would eventually add a sub, but for right now they should be able to suffice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. Do the Art 310A have a "full grill" option? I remember a vendor back on DJF1.0 selling the 312A's with a full grill, and they looked much nicer.

jayhwk
05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm a big fan of the Zx1. It's tiny, gets pretty loud (but know its limitations, it's still an 8" loudspeaker), and sounds awesome.

I think you might be dissappointed with either choice if you don't use a sub. I use the Electro-Voice Sb122, which is more of a low-mid bass unit than a true sub, but it adds the thump I need for audiences up to that 100 mark, where I pull out a bigger system.

Al Poulin
05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
There are full grills available for the 310As from Audiopyle over on Harmony Central's Live sound and production forum. I can give you more info about him if you like. Neither the ZX1A or 310A are going to cut it for up to 100 people however if you want any kind of low frequency response. Output wise you'd be fine but the sound wouldn't be all that full - which is OK for some folks, but not others. Once you get either of these up on stands, you lose quite a bit of the low end they are capable of.

That said, the 310As will do better overall and produce more output than the ZXA1s. A little over your price range, but an impressive line is Yamaha's new DXR series of powered speakers. They look great, sound great, are priced lower than QSC K's and have unbelievably good processing as well as an extremely flexible mixer section. You can do 100people no problem while having a nice full sound with a pair of DXR12s on stands. The tilt pole mount that angles your cab slightly so the sound shoots into your audience instead of over their heads is also a nice touch. A pair of DXR12s can be had for about 1400$ in the states and are VERY compact for a 12'' cabinet. You can fit one on a seat in your car and wrap a seatbelt around it easily. I'm actually considering the DXR12s for myself...

Al

jayhwk
05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
You could get two ZxA1s and a ZxA1 sub for $1400. I've never used the DXR so I won't comment on how it actually sounds, but I can tell you from years of expierence with my C rig that Zx1s with a sub are plenty for 100 people.

Your smallest option could be tobuy two Sb2As (discontinued, but still in stock at a lot of places) and two passive Zx1s. The Sb2a has a two built in amplifiers, so it can power the passive Zx1.

Synaxis
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Jayhwk and Al, thank you both for your knowledgeable insight.

+Rep

Al, based on your experience with the 310A (from what I understand is that you own four), approximately how many people do you believe they can support? Are there any smallish subwoofers you can recommend that would boast them to the 100 person mark?

As nice as the DRX sounds, it's a bit heavier than what I'm looking for. Something under 35 lbs would be preferred.

Jayhwk, since I'm trying to stay compact, the Sb122 will not work too well since it requires an amplifier. And I definitely won't have room for two subwoofers and two tops, so the Sb2A idea is out, although I do like their weight.

As for the ZXA1 combo, with two tops and the sub, I was considering it. But for the price of $1400, wouldn't it just be a better idea to go with two PRX612Ms for the same price? I believe two of those can handle up to a 100 people. Unless if you think the bass response would be better the other way around.

I don't know, I'm a bit hesitant to buy 8" mains, simply because of their size.

Any other possible options? I would be willing to wait it out a bit and save up some more.

Thanks again.

jayhwk
05-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Jayhwk, since I'm trying to stay compact, the Sb122 will not work too well since it requires an amplifier. And I definitely won't have room for two subwoofers and two tops, so the Sb2A idea is out, although I do like their weight.

As for the ZXA1 combo, with two tops and the sub, I was considering it. But for the price of $1400, wouldn't it just be a better idea to go with two PRX612Ms for the same price? I believe two of those can handle up to a 100 people. Unless if you think the bass response would be better the other way around.

I picked the Zx1s primarily because of their size, low cost, and extremely low weight. I also didn't pay anywhere close to MAP and got the four loudspeakers and a b-stock XTi2000 to run them for about $1100.

I actually haven't heard the ZxA1sub yet, but it specs out better than the Sb122 which it replaces. I think the Zx1 + Sb122 combo sounds as good a single 12 in the mid/hi and has a bit better bass response. I'd love to do a comparison in the price range - I've only got much higher end 12" loudspeakers on hand. However, if you buy a pair of 12's and add a sub later you'd be ahead of the 8's and a sub now.

Another option, if you're looking at the PRX612M, is the EV SxA360. I can vouch for that being an excellent loudspeaker - some national level live sound acts actually accept the unpowered versions as monitors in one of the venues that I work. I've heard the PRX but the DJ playing at the time had a smiley face on his graphic EQ so I couldn't get a good handle on how it actually sounded.

Al Poulin
05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Jayhwk and Al, thank you both for your knowledgeable insight.

+Rep

Al, based on your experience with the 310A (from what I understand is that you own four), approximately how many people do you believe they can support? Are there any smallish subwoofers you can recommend that would boast them to the 100 person mark?

As nice as the DRX sounds, it's a bit heavier than what I'm looking for. Something under 35 lbs would be preferred.

The RCF 310As can provide a surprising amount of sound for such a compact 10" powered speaker. I have done venues with up to about 200 people with a single pair BUT these were older people who really do not like strong or deep bass. Music was country, polkas and 2 steps. With top 40, they will certainly get loud enough but will sound slightly anemic in the low frequencies once up on stands - that's all. I will be testing the Yamaha DXR10 shortly if you want to wait for my report on those (in the next week or two). Here is a video of the biggest crowds (of older people) I do with a singla pair of 310As :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgAWyMEAlc

Of course this hall is ideal since it is easy to focus my sound directly to the dance floor (the 310As are stacked one on top of the other) AND the stage actually increases low frequency response in this particular venue. Although the sound levels are fairly high in this video, people can dance right in front of the RCFs without issue. They are that ear pleasing and smooth.

Al

Unknown DJ
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
What about the Matrix 1000. Subs a bit heavy but it could fit in a car.

Synaxis
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
What about the Matrix 1000. Subs a bit heavy but it could fit in a car.

That sub weighs almost as much as I do, haha. It's going to be way to much of a pain taking it in and out of my car, all by myself.

How about a pair of Art 310As and the ZXA1-Sub?

I would go with the ZXA1 Tops, but I think it will look silly having such small speakers sitting on top on stands, especially since the sub is probably going to be hidden behind my facade. If I were to get two subs, that would look better, but then where am I going to fit both of them!

Al, I await your Yamaha DXR10 review!

Synaxis
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I'm still open to options if anyone else has any ideas.

If EV made a ZXA1 (10" top) I would totally go for that.

I'm also looking at the QSC K10's as well.

Price wise, If I'm able to split the payments into say four months, like Zzounds allows, then I wouldn't mind spending more.

The thing is, I'm not sure which of the following options would work better.

1) Two 10's tops + small sub for around $1500

2) Or just get two 12" tops, such as the PRX612M, for the same price.

I could always expand with Option #2, but I don't plan on doing any events over 100 people for a while, so that probably won't be necessary.

Thanks

STLRiverCity
05-24-2012, 08:58 PM
I could always expand with Option #2, but I don't plan on doing any events over 100 people for a while, so that probably won't be necessary.

That's what I thought. Now I have a smaller system I rarely use. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten 2 QSC K12's and saved up for the KW181. Always have an eye towards the future and get something that is expandable.

gamblort
07-22-2014, 03:44 AM
For something a bit alternative you should check out the JukeCase by Son Valise. A portable bluetooth suitcase speaker with up to 40 hours playtime at 50W (rechargeable battery) and awesome sound quality including deep bass. They look awesome are pretty lightweight (5-10kg)

Read about it here: JukeCase suitcase speakers (https://jukecase.com/shop)

https://jukecase.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Acclaim-mag-JukeCase-suitcase-speaker-melbourne.png

oldschooldj
07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
The DXR12's are your best bet if you are going to only get tops, but at $1400.00 per pair they will not sound near as good as ZXA1 tops and the ZX1 sub for $1400.00!!! I stress the point that the sound of the two systems will not be nearly the same, as almost any sub top combo will out perform stand alone tops, even if you could afford the DXR15 tops which I have.

I own the ZX1 passive tops and they play well with one or two EV-TourX 18" subs and at very loud volumes when crossed. However if you try to play them loud stand alone, with bass frequecies, the active speakers will be on the limiters at very low volumes.

With the ZXA1 tops, you can continue to add subs, as those tops when crossed will easily play with four of the ZX1 subs or even a pair of quality 15" or 18" subs.

Good luck!
Ray J.

light-o-matic
07-22-2014, 12:48 PM
I have the ZXA1's .. it is not my main system, I use them for monitors and for an occasional house party. They are really great transportationwise, I have them with the soft bags and can carry both speaker bags over one shoulder with the XLR and power cables in the bag.. and it feels like nothing. They sound really nice and really look pro too.

But without a sub they are not going to do much for ya.
Also, not the highest output...

Paired with sub or subs is a different story. If you want more output than the ZXA1-SUB you could pair them with the KSUB...

But if you want a bit more output look at a 10 inch.. eg the Yamaha DXR10 with its matching sub.. or QSC K10's with the KSUB.

conanski
07-22-2014, 06:49 PM
What about a pair of DXR8's with a DXS15 sub? I'd bet the sub would actually be the limiting factor in that combo but up to that point it should work very well and I'd say that would cover up to 100 peeps no problem.

DYM
07-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Can't go wrong with the new Yamaha DXR line... If I could get a small Yamaha system I would in a second.

light-o-matic
07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, I'm still open to options if anyone else has any ideas.

If EV made a ZXA1 (10" top) I would totally go for that.

I'm also looking at the QSC K10's as well.

Price wise, If I'm able to split the payments into say four months, like Zzounds allows, then I wouldn't mind spending more.

The thing is, I'm not sure which of the following options would work better.

1) Two 10's tops + small sub for around $1500

2) Or just get two 12" tops, such as the PRX612M, for the same price.

Thanks

The PRX12's are pretty nice by themselves but a system with even a small sub would be better.
I think it comes down to just how small do you need to go??? A pair of 8 or 10 inch tops with a 12 inch sub would easily fit, even a compact car would work. If you want fewer pieces to move I could understand that tho, but you will pay the price in bass.

My friend has the K12's and a K-SUB, it's surprisingly effective and sounds good. I think the same setup with the K10's would be pretty great for portability. Yea the sub is a bit heavy but it's just one piece, and actually gives some nice bass.. it sounds like a full sized system.. just can't go crazy loud.

jsavino
07-24-2014, 07:29 AM
I would suggest what i had which was 2 EVZXA1 and 2 EvZXA1 Subs. Very compact(fits in my maxima) and great sound for partys up to 150 people. But what ends up happening is you start doing your small partys and people like you and want to hire you for larger partys and you bring your system and you are under powered. Nothing worse then doing a venue and them telling you to turn it up and your speakers arealready limiting. Thats why i sold my setup and went with 12's. I would think about it first but if you are absolutely sure you are not going to do larger partys get the system i started with is great even if its just 1 sub then add another one later on. Sucks i just sold my setup on craigslist i could of sold them to you I am from bergen county as well. good luck