PDA

View Full Version : Bit confused with using my eq - any advice?

rflook
05-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Been playing round with my decks for a few weeks now and have the hang of beat matching (most of the time). But am struggling with using the eq 'properly'. It just sounds too 'busy' most of the time, I have tried dropping various levels on the incoming/outgoing track but I feel like I bumbling around most of the time.

Can anyone recommend a 'procedure' for a beginner so I can make the next step. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm playing breaks and drum and bass.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

xyloft
05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
are you phrase matching (matching up beat one of an 8 bar phrase in both tracks)? typically I find transitions are busy when the songs are out of phrase.

what i find myself doing is dialing back the bass on the outgoing track.
another thing i will do is if the outgoing track has more high-hat then the incoming track, i will start to back off on the highs.

i'll never kill a band, but slowly lower it over a few bars. something that shouldn't be noticeable to the listener to make it smoother.

B3NNY
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Couple things; subtractive EQ'n is always going to sound better than boosting levels louder to overpower. Adding more noise to noise just ends up sounding like......noise. So basically like the poster above me said, try to make room for incoming tracks by taking some EQ out in certain frequency ranges. As a DJ, you are constantly adjusting gain/EQ's, and the more experienced you get, the more finnicky you get with your levels.