PDA

View Full Version : Reason Essentials Ignition Key Issues/ Reason Review ?

DJArmani
05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
so I just got reason essnetials to get into producing and it's telling me that's its not recognizing my ignition hardware key, even after I followed the steps on the propellerhead website on what to do if the software doesn't recognize your ignition key. :mad: :blank:

Anyone have any solutions? And btw, I don't know much about production, so anyone have anything good/bad to say about Reason? I heard it was good to start off with, so I went to the store and it was only 100$ :shrug: is it worth it?

Mystic
05-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Mine worked fine so can't really help you there.

I think you got the wrong version though. Reason Essentials has a sequencer and mixer but that's about it. No synths or anything like that. It's mainly used for live audio recording. This is not the version of Reason that has all the synth racks on it. That one is $450.

DJArmani
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
The guy at sam ash told me that this was good to start off with.

Mystic
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Guy at Sam Ash is retarded. I never trust people at Sam Ash/Guitar Center for this very reason. They are all clueless.

ezelkow1
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Id try and return it if possible. Essentials has a sampler, and 1 synth, but thats about it. For that 100$ you could go get cakewalk music creator or sonar x1 LE for 20$ or reaper for 60$ and still have some cash left over for a synth or 2, or just use some great freeware synths with those. Any of those synths are going to be better than just the lowly subtractor you'd be getting with essentials

DJArmani
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, once you open the software it's non-returnable :blank: . But is there anyway I can add synths to esentials?

ezelkow1
05-07-2012, 09:22 PM
it comes with the combinator, so you can try patching up some stuff using the sampler+subtractor+id8. You cant use any external soft synths in reason though, unless someone makes it for their new re-rack extension, but not many of those are out yet

Manu
05-08-2012, 05:17 AM

Salesmen are there to tell you whatever you want to hear. Product miss sold and not as described, bring it back and get your money back.

Unfortunately, once you open the software it's non-returnable :blank:

Bullshit, you have to open it to figure out the hardware part of it does not work.

mostapha
05-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Since people have already burst your bubble……

In general, the lite/LE/essentials/mini/etc. versions of everything suck. They're there to sell the big versions, which means that they have a halfway similar workflow with basically everything useful removed.

See if you can return it, telling them that the Ignition key doesn't work. When they don't know what that is, be prepared to explain what a Dongle is.

Then, either get the full version of Reason or some other full-fledged DAW.

Celestial
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
he's an idiot

Guy at Sam Ash is retarded. I never trust people at Sam Ash/Guitar Center for this very reason. They are all clueless.

this, nearly all the people that work there in the electronic department are clueless beyond belief, and why hire somebody to work in a section you have no idea about is beyond me :facepalm:

Celestial
05-08-2012, 09:16 AM
See if you can return it, telling them that the Ignition key doesn't work.

they won't take it, it's an open box software item, too late now.

djlotus
05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
That's bullshit. Get the salesman's name off the receipt, talk to the store manager and tell him the product was misrepresented and the hardware does not function. End of story.

Celestial
05-08-2012, 09:28 AM
That's bullshit. Get the salesman's name off the receipt, talk to the store manager and tell him the product was misrepresented and the hardware does not function. End of story.

yeah that might work - be a bitch, i noticed that managers are always gonna care more about customers than regular employees, this goes for restaurants as well, bitch and complain and get your 100 bucks back bro. Money doesn't grow on trees.

mostapha
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
they won't take it, it's an open box software item, too late now.

That's true at Guitar Center. Sam Ash might have different policies.

At Guitar Center, it doesn't matter if what you bought is software or not or whether it has any copy protection or whether it has a dongle, if there's software in the package, you can't return it.

This counts for shitty keyboards that include a copy of Live Lite and Serato interfaces. It doesn't matter that everything comes with Live Lite or that Scratch Live requires that audio interface to run, the fact that there's software in the box means you can't return it.

That being said, if the employee is clueless enough, sometimes you can get away with saying "it's just drivers".

Celestial
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
That's true at Guitar Center. Sam Ash might have different policies.

At Guitar Center, it doesn't matter if what you bought is software or not or whether it has any copy protection or whether it has a dongle, if there's software in the package, you can't return it.

This counts for shitty keyboards that include a copy of Live Lite and Serato interfaces. It doesn't matter that everything comes with Live Lite or that Scratch Live requires that audio interface to run, the fact that there's software in the box means you can't return it.

That being said, if the employee is clueless enough, sometimes you can get away with saying "it's just drivers".

sam ash isn't far off either bro, they're butt munches about it too. :facepalm:

DJArmani
05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Damn it, :mad: is there any way I can sell it online? Because I just wasted 100 bucks -_-

ezelkow1
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Yea, you can sell it on ebay, kvr forums, gearslutz, probably more out there. You wont get 100$ for it though

mostapha
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah. You can. Well…not so much if the Ignition Key doesn't work. Sort that one out first and then I'm pretty sure you can sell it. Worst case, you sell the Ignition Key and the installer disks and they just don't get to use the online activation (if Essentials can even do that).

If the mixer section was full-featured, I'd be half tempted to offer you something for it (because SSLs are cool and their modeling sounds pretty good) but…it's not quite good enough.

Sorry.

I'm sure you can sell it to someone who's trying to pursue it as a hobby. Or you can upgrade to the full version with this (https://www.propellerheads.se/shop/index.cfm?fuseaction=product_detail&ID=10738&Cat=1000). Looks like it's $20 cheaper than the full version unless I'm too tired/drunk to add correctly.

I mean…with that in mind…if you get the ignition key thing sorted out, I'd probably buy it for like $50 to get Reason 6.5 for a bit cheaper. There are some things it does really well.

DJArmani
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Quick question: I activated it and I have the software registered to my account on propellerhead. Is this going to screw up the activation if someone tries to re-register it? Also if I can't sell it, what are some ways I can use it? Is it possible to produce a house track using it?

mostapha
05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Check the license for how/if you can sell it if you want to.

But yeah, it's possible to use it. Go through some tutorials and learn it. It's missing some stuff, but there's still a lot there. If you like it, look into the upgrade to the full version. If not, you can always go to something else (like Live or Logic or whatever) and use what it does have with ReWire.

Mystic
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Quick question: I activated it and I have the software registered to my account on propellerhead. Is this going to screw up the activation if someone tries to re-register it? Also if I can't sell it, what are some ways I can use it? Is it possible to produce a house track using it?

You can transfer the license to another person.

DJArmani
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Alright, I think I'm just going to stick with it, learn to use it, and uprgrade. Thanks for the help.

mostapha
05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Cool.

The Elements version really is missing a lot of stuff that I like, but it's definitely usable until you start running into barriers. Time to start reading everything you can get your hands on about sound design, composition, arrangement, and recording/mixing. Propellerhead has a section of their website called Record U that seems to be very much based on the recording side of things, but their stuff will probably help with mixing when you get there.

Did you ever get your ignition key thing sorted out?

DJArmani
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
About to check out the problem now, and I have no idea about any of that so I'm definetly gonna get to that.