PDA

View Full Version : QSC RMX2450 or EX2500?

richard stringer
05-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm wanting to know which amplifier would be best for subs, either bridged QSC EX2500 or bridged QSC RMX2450, i've got the chance to buy either of those amps for cheap. I mean which amp has better performance with subs? I've read somewhere, can't remember where it was, that the EX series say that they found that they can't output their rated power for very long and generally weren't as loud as their specs suggest. Other people though tell me that the EX series amplifiers are excellent at sub duty when bridged, and although I know the old EX amps weigh a ton, they're very heavy, weight doesn't bother me, it's performance that's that's more important to me. I've read a lot about the RMX2450 being an excellent amplifier and I know that myself because I used to have one, although it was running mid/highs, one cab per side at 4 ohms.

Anyway, anyone used either of these amps on subs?

jayhwk
05-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd go for the RMX. The two amps are comparable (EX is 10 lbs heavier), but the EX could be 20 years old, while the maximum possible age of an RMX is only 10 years. QSC amps are tough, but I'd be wary of any electronics equipment that old.

deejaygo
05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I used to own an RMX-2450. I would go with one of those. Jawhwk is right, older amplifiers just by nature have the tendency to fail because of the hours of use they've been put through. No matter how well an amp is designed and built, 15-20 years of getting carried around and placed in potentially rough environments (humid, hot, etc.) can take a toll on the internals.

If both have been well maintained, go with the better deal. If I was in your shoes, I'd get the RMX.

richard stringer
05-06-2012, 03:48 PM
The amps have been well maintained yes, I thought about the old EX2500 because although it's old, the older amplifiers are more able to sustain their rated output normally.