PDA

View Full Version : Ok need some advice for a bar gig

Icefrogg
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok so I just got a bar gig...I filled in for the regular dj and apparently they liked me and I had a lot of people come out so a month later they contacted me to take over as the regular thursday night dj.

its a decent size bar and thursdays are ladies night with drink specials. here is where I need to advice at though. so they told me I'm allowed to give away shots throughout the night like maybe every hour do a shot give away. they gave me a example like "first girl to show me a red bra gets a free shot" or something along those lines. I rather not go that route because my gf will be there and I don't want to open a can of worms with her.

So I'm looking for any other suggestions of games or whatever of ideas to give away free shots throughout the night. any input is awesome. Thanks.

allenpa5
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
You could always do some sort of trivia with the guests. It's a little safer than asking them to strip down for ya! ;)

wilson
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Name the Song Playing, Artist, Movie it was in

Trivia like allenpa5 said (proof of certain liquor, where beer x is made, ingredients of a certain mixed drink or SHOT, address of bar, owners name, etc...)

Not sure what type of bar it is? but have some type of "dance" competition for it?

None of those sound as good as show me your red bra though man!?!? Tell her that you're being paid and that's what the said to do, ha!

allenpa5
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Name the Song Playing, Artist, Movie it was in

Trivia like allenpa5 said (proof of certain liquor, where beer x is made, ingredients of a certain mixed drink or SHOT, address of bar, owners name, etc...)

Not sure what type of bar it is? but have some type of "dance" competition for it?

None of those sound as good as show me your red bra though man!?!? Tell her that you're being paid and that's what the said to do, ha!

hahhaa, I like the ingredients in the shot idea. Very good game for having a prize of a free shot at the end!

finalcoyote
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Your girlfriend will probably have to deal with it. Surely you could smooth things over by discussing it with her first?

If it's that kind of bar, it's that kind of bar. Get the bras out.

Atomisk
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Your girlfriend will probably have to deal with it. Surely you could smooth things over by discussing it with her first?

If it's that kind of bar, it's that kind of bar. Get the bras out.

It's a fuggin bar. It's a party. Tell her it's just an act and to loosen up a little.

Icefrogg
02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the idea's and yeah I feel like I can get her to loosen up but I might keep the bra suggestion for down the road. this thursday will be my first night there so I am going to use some of the more milder suggestions (whats in the shot) address of the bar...those type of ideas. I'm only suppose to give out free shots like once a hour each hour so I only need 4 ideas a night so its not like a all night kind of thing. but thanks everyone for the input and btw its questions like this that I am glad DJforums is around.

Coronaoperator
02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Advice from someone who's worked bars for 20 years ... "Politely tell your girlfriend that she is not welcome at the bar while you are working; do you hang out with her at her work? It doesn't work out at a bar gig, ever. Even if you two are cool with it, managers, employees, patrons, etc will have a problem with it." ... end of advice, what you do with it is up to you.

DeadPhr0g
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok so I just got a bar gig...I filled in for the regular dj and apparently they liked me and I had a lot of people come out so a month later they contacted me to take over as the regular thursday night dj.

its a decent size bar and thursdays are ladies night with drink specials. here is where I need to advice at though. so they told me I'm allowed to give away shots throughout the night like maybe every hour do a shot give away. they gave me a example like "first girl to show me a red bra gets a free shot" or something along those lines. I rather not go that route because my gf will be there and I don't want to open a can of worms with her.

So I'm looking for any other suggestions of games or whatever of ideas to give away free shots throughout the night. any input is awesome. Thanks.Sex sells. In any market. If your girlfriend is not mature to understand and cope with that in a proper manner, perhaps she is not "the one." At the end of the night, you're going home with her. She needs to realize that.

djkvg
02-10-2012, 03:36 AM
booty shaking contest :)

DJ Braz
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
bro my advice to you is...have a serious convo with your girl about it, a lot of times its not a good idea to bring the girl/wife to work. we are in the business of entertaining and as such sometimes we might have to do things we normally wouldnt do but thats part of the business and she needs to be fully aware of that. being popular with the crowd is a big deal and if the bar ur spinning at is the type of place girls will be showing their bras at then u have to roll with it. people might even approach you while ur not working like at the mall or something while ur with ur girl so u gotta be ready for all of that.

Ferryman
02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Leave the g/f at home...? Don't mix work and relationships (trust me!).

Besides, why are you DJing if you have a g/f..?! :teef:

Icefrogg
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Leave the g/f at home...? Don't mix work and relationships (trust me!).

Besides, why are you DJing if you have a g/f..?! :teef:

my buddy told me awhile ago something like "you should have gotten into djing many years ago" in reference to all the women at a bar I was djing at haha.

jazzyj
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Easy fix:

"Yooo the first girl to show my man Yolo the bartender a red bra gets a free shot!!!!"

andypandy
02-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Large percentage of djforums djing for girls :(? It's a sad day if thats the case.

DJ Sunshine
02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
This is my personal thing, but I'll give it away :)

I announce that it's time for Sunshine's Booty-Shakin' Contest, and that the lady who pops it best will get a free shot. My song of choice is Salt Shaker. works every time. :D

Rothgery
02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Large percentage of djforums djing for girls :(? It's a sad day if thats the case.

I dont understand any of that post

Rothgery
02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
+1 for just discussing it with your gf - there should be no reason to her to get pissed, it's a job man. Just smooth talk her :tup:

thedjduckie
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I like to do a "scavenger hunt" I tell people to come up and I'll give them something to do, or find. If they fill out the task they win the shot. If you are creative then this can be a heck of a lot of fun. plus you control what is going on in the crowd. even crowd participation can be brought in. possibilities are endless

DJ Rob One
02-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Easy fix:

"Yooo the first girl to show my man Yolo the bartender a red bra gets a free shot!!!!"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Austin GoGreen
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM

So I'm looking for any other suggestions of games or whatever of ideas to give away free shots throughout the night. any input is awesome. Thanks.

Was the regular DJ a friend? Do you know what the regular DJ was making on his Thursday nights? You know that bar owners divide and conquer us all the time by saying they want you over the other guy just to get you in at a cheaper rate?

When I fill in and kill it and the bar asks me if they can have me every X night that's the perfect chance to get MORE money than the other guy and also help out the industry in your area. I hope you didn't sell yourself short.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
You could always do some sort of trivia with the guests. It's a little safer than asking them to strip down for ya! ;)Let's see; Going from girls pulling up their tops to show off their bras, to playing a game of trivia.
Yeah that'll pull more bodies into the bar.

VjQue
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Easy fix:

"Yooo the first girl to show my man Yolo the bartender a red bra gets a free shot!!!!" Very easy.

I cant believe he even asked this question.

I know this is a beginner thread but still.

Yo can give away free shots and no clue what to say.

1st person to tip the DJ gets a free shot.

Icefrogg
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
This is my personal thing, but I'll give it away :)

I announce that it's time for Sunshine's Booty-Shakin' Contest, and that the lady who pops it best will get a free shot. My song of choice is Salt Shaker. works every time. :D

I like this idea...thanks I might try it out this week....do you let the crowd be the judge or do you decide who was best.