PDA

View Full Version : Peavey SP6

richard stringer
05-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone had any experience with or actually heard the Peavey SP6 speaker cabs? I see they've got a horn loaded midrange driver, and i'm wondering how they sound.

Dix
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I've been using the SP4's since 2004 & I like them but, they are big, heavy & bulky. I am eager to find something smaller & lighter.

richard stringer
05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't mind the size and weight because i've got mates helping me set up, but I was looking at the JBL PRX425 cabs too, they look like newer versions of the MRX525 but with a JRX horn flare. I'm also wondering about the EV Tour-x TX2152 but i've never heard any of these speaker cabs.

richard stringer
05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
ARRGH, decided against the PRX425 cabs, the PRX400 series has the same drivers as in JBL's old crappy MP200 series.:uhoh:

jayhwk
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd actually think twice about a dual 15. They look a lot louder but have a lot of disadvantages when compared with a single low frequency driver loudspeaker.

richard stringer
05-07-2012, 03:20 AM
I don't care at all how loud a speaker looks, i've got two JBL SRX728S dual 18" subs so was thinking about dual 15" mid/highs because they'd be able to keep up with my subs spl wise, but after some looking about i've decided that when it comes time to upgrade my mid/highs that i'm gonna go for either two Nexo PS15 cabs with one cab per channel in stereo powered by a QSC Powerlight 4.0 or maybe if there's any way I can find a pair, two TQ440 cabs with a QSC PLX3102 powering the low section and an RMX2450 powering the mid/high section.

Using either of those options will give me higher spl and less comb filtering.

mr.doom
05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't care at all how loud a speaker looks, i've got two JBL SRX728S dual 18" subs so was thinking about dual 15" mid/highs because they'd be able to keep up with my subs spl wise, but after some looking about i've decided that when it comes time to upgrade my mid/highs that i'm gonna go for either two Nexo PS15 cabs with one cab per channel in stereo powered by a QSC Powerlight 4.0 or maybe if there's any way I can find a pair, two TQ440 cabs with a QSC PLX3102 powering the low section and an RMX2450 powering the mid/high section.

Using either of those options will give me higher spl and less comb filtering.

Comb filtering is problem for cabs placed side by side, the 3.5 crossssover on the peavey should not have that. The problem with the SP6 is that it weighs 130lbs and is more speaker than you need if you are running subs.

richard stringer
05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Well I guess i'll try and find some Turbosound TQ315 cabs, I been looking and seen you can run them passive and Turbosound actually measured their continuous spl output at 130db at the onset of clipping with the reccomended power coming from an amplifier, their peak is 137db whcih Turbosound measured too at the onset of perceieved signal degradation. For the type of small dj events with about 100-150 people maximum that I do, a pair of TQ315 cabs side by side splayed (they've got 80x50 degree dispersion with rotatable horn flares) would probably be LOUD AS F**k. And if they outrun my SRX728S subs, then i'll put the system in the corner of the room as close to the wall as I can sao it reinforces the low frequency output more.

jlaskin
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Have you tried the Turbo Sound speakers yet and how are they at full range with no sub? Any experience with the powered version of these 15 inch 2 ways as well?

richard stringer
06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
The Turbosound cabs are loud as f**k, way louder than the average dj cabs, but i've only heard them run with subs, not full range sorry matey.

jlaskin
06-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback, they sound amazing. Are these the powered versions? I'm trying to locate the best sounding full range speakers that still have decent bass response for smaller events and venues where a sub is not required. I find that most newer powered highs offer plenty of spl but lack in low frequency response when not running biamped. I love the warner sound that wood cabinet based full range speakers can offer with less distortion as a result. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

richard stringer
06-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm trying to locate the best sounding full range speakers that still have decent bass response for smaller events and venues where a sub is not required. I find that most newer powered highs offer plenty of spl but lack in low frequency response when not running biamped. I love the warner sound that wood cabinet based full range speakers can offer with less distortion as a result. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Erm, no offence but you're hijacking my thread mate, I started the thread asking about the Peavey SP6 cabs and now you're hijacking it asking about cabs for yourself. If you want some cabs go and listen to as many as you can, over and out......

jlaskin
06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry about that, I went ahead and started my own thread. Thanks for the feedback on the Turbosound

richard stringer
06-25-2012, 03:56 PM
That's ok matey, the reason thread hijacking isn't allowed is because before you know it, you've got people answering another person's question and you're like "hey this is my thread I still need help on this subject". Anyway, i'll help you however I can.