PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer on casters

HBL Entertainment
05-05-2012, 03:27 AM
I have a B-52 ACT18X. I already haven't been super happy with the output but I put 3" casters on it to help make it more mobile. Now it seems like it has even less output. Do you lose some perceived output or extension when you raise a sub of the ground?

richard stringer
05-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Yes because of the boundary effect, frequencies below 250hz are pretty omni-directional, although you really I don't think should lose much from 3" castors, maybe with you raising the sub off the floor has created a cancelation effect on dominant frequencies that the sub gives out most spl at. If this is the case then yeah you might notice a difference. A better idea would of been to put castors on the back, then when you need to move the sub, tilt it back, onto it's castors and move it.

windspeed36
05-05-2012, 05:46 AM
When putting castors on subs - I have never ever seen them under a sub, people always mount them on the back so the sub doesn't roll around and so that you don't loose output from not having it flat on the floor.

Incognito
05-05-2012, 06:06 AM
A sub doesn't need to be on the floor to couple with it just as subs don't require to be touching to have mutual coupling, I doubt 3" is going to make any noticeable effect since it's less then a 1/4 wave length away. I would say though that you should have your casters to the rear of the sub rather then the bottom of the sub but that's for other reasons.

Bill Fitzmaurice
05-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Do you lose some perceived output or extension when you raise a sub of the ground?
Only if you raise it by well over two feet. Casters will make no difference. OTOH if you have it placed over two feet from a room wall you will lose output, depending on how far from the wall potentially a lot.

HBL Entertainment
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. If I were to take the casters off the bottom of the sub and put them on the back. Should I fill in the drill holes in the bottom. If so, with what?