PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Hip Hop songs.

DJ NuVo
05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
so i have a gig on sunday and they want mostly hiphop/top 40 stuff and i feel like im either doing the hip hop slam, the endzone or roll out/brake echo effects to transitions. is this normal???

im not the best at beatmatching at the moment but im ok still learning with it but it feels like im repeating a lot lol

jlcpremier
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
If you do it for every transition it's going to get old fast. Beatmatching really is the key. What program/equipment are you using? A lot of the programs now have the option to sync the BPMs for you making beatmatching much easier, but with effects, generally less is more.

DJ NuVo
05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
If you do it for every transition it's going to get old fast. Beatmatching really is the key. What program/equipment are you using? A lot of the programs now have the option to sync the BPMs for you making beatmatching much easier, but with effects, generally less is more.

well im using serato sl3 and there isn't sync on there. and yeah im trying but most of the time im doing the slam and endzone. which is basic but gets it done.

DJArmani
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
u can always use the one filter effect, try getting tracks with intro's .. it's all about cutting the track off @ the right moment, choosing the right tracks, and reading the crowd...

DYM
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Filter, Brake, EQs, Loops, Samples, etc. are all your friend... Sometimes for music like this, I completely just stop the track playing, have two seconds of silence and then drop a new hit track they everyone automatically starts singing.

DJ NuVo
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
u can always use the one filter effect, try getting tracks with intro's .. it's all about cutting the track off @ the right moment, choosing the right tracks, and reading the crowd...

yeah this is what i do. i either cut the song off at the end of the chorus, end of phrase or end of the song to the next song. and this crowd wants all hip hop mostly and some top 40 here and there.

DJ NuVo
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Filter, Brake, EQs, Loops, Samples, etc. are all your friend... Sometimes for music like this, I completely just stop the track playing, have two seconds of silence and then drop a new hit track they everyone automatically starts singing.

well atm im using those effects and samples but i want to learn the eqing and loops but damn i really don't know anyone here round me that can teach me! youtube can only do so much..

DYM
05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Just practice and play!

DJ NuVo
05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Just practice and play!

yeah thats what im doing. im learning on the way lol

Buszaj
05-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Just practice your beatmatching, or use the visual cues on Serato. Even if you don't have much experience, it can be done so easily. You can always use the BPM indicators to match the tempos. When it comes down the actual mix (for hip-hop/rap at least), just hit the play button on your CDJ, or cue on your laptop. Let the incoming track play for a phrase with it's bass and mids lowered, on the next phrase swap the bass, then once the vocals kick in, cut over fully to the incoming track. The top40 hip-hop/rap is very simple to mix. This way your transitions will be matched, and you won't have to rely on backspins, brakes, etc.

funkyfresh
05-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Maybe try some basic baby scratches and dropping the track in. Just make sure your baby scratches are on beat.

DjDisArm
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
anyone have any good vids of how to scratch in/out of a song?

DJ Que Yi
05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Practice is the key! Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty- meaning manipulate the track. If you are using time codes then learn how to scratch/catch the song on the downbeat or the "1". Set your cues and loop a section of a break to create an intro/ outro so that you can beatmatch the next song.