PDA

View Full Version : Would there be any advantages in doing this?

kipperj
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey DJF, I have a dilemma (sort of). I guess it's more of a situation where I'm stuck between two things. I just got my IPR 3000 today. I have two Peavey PV900 (600W bridged @8ohms) amps also. I run two PV115 8ohm cabs and two PV118 8ohm subs (all 400W program). My original plan was to use the IPR for my cabs and use one of each of my old peavey amps for each of my subs. However, I have been thinking about just running my whole system with my IPR 3000 (840W per side at 4ohms or 440W at 8 ohms). Besides the work it would save me carrying one light amp instead of two more heavy amps, would there be any advantage to using one amp instead of three? What do you guys think? What would get me the best sound with what I have? Thanks for reading!

jayhwk
05-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I would only do it if you want to run in mono.

You'd lose the benefits of your crossover by doing it in stereo- the tops and subs would overlap, sounding much muddier.

You are using a crossover right now, right?

kipperj
05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah. I have a crossover, just not a DSP (yet). The IPRs come with built in crossovers too, which is another question. If I were to run just cabs or subs through an IPR, would I set the switches on the amp accordingly? Or would I just let my crossover unit do all the work?

kipperj
05-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't prefer mono. I like stereo, but if I'll get better sound quality one way or the other I'll do what I have to do.

jayhwk
05-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, to do two way stereo you need four amplifier channels (Left Hi, Left Lo, Right Hi, Right Lo).

If you wanted to use your IPR only, you'd only have two amplifier channels available so you'd have to run two way mono. That's probably fine - only a very small part of your typical audience benefits from stereo (the ones right in the middle) and everyone else is probably being hurt by stereo (because they aren't covered by the other channel).

I'd keep using your external crossover because it's more flexible and doesn't take up much space or weigh very much.

kipperj
05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Okay.. Maybe this is wrong to ask, but what would YOU do in my situation? Would you run 3 amps or just the IPR?

light-o-matic
05-04-2012, 04:52 PM
It's really up to you. You have four options:

1) Run in mono, with just the ipr, and you don't need your crossover.
2) Run in stereo, with just the ipr, relying on the built in high pass filters in your subs. Set just a high pass at 40Hz on your IPR, if you can.
3) Run in stereo, with all three amps and your crossover.
4) Sell your old amps, get something better to run your subs.

OK now my comments on each option:

1) Personally, I like stereo and will do what I need to do to get it. But mono can sound good too. It really depends on the gigs you do. And this will be really tiny and light and it does have all the right processing, so as mono goes, it will work well.

2) This isn't ideal, but you can try it. It might be a good compromise for now if you want to upgrade but don't have the $$ yet.

3) The hugest and heaviest option, but unless you buy some new stuff, this is the best sounding option you will get. However, toting around all that shit just to get a measly 1600 watts is pretty painful. Plus, racks are expensive. The price difference between a 6u rack and an 8u rack can (should!) go toward a better sub amp...

4) DEFINITELY would be my choice.. you can sell those older amps for whatever you can get for em, and EASILY afford a single new amp that will push both those subs to 400+ watts.. either an amp capable of 400W+/ch @ 8 ohms stereo, or capable of 800W+ at 4 ohms bridged mono. Look on craigslist and ebay.. you can find MANY amps capable of this second rating for well under $200.

In all options except #2, you will get better sound by opening your subs and bypassing the internal low-pass filter.. you don't need it when you're running an external crossover/processor and a separate sub amp(s).

Also, keep in mind that those subs are a bit weak and you may want to upgrade them some time in the not so distant future, so if you get a larger sub amp than you need you will probably be happy you did, when it comes time for new subs.

Hope this helps.

jayhwk
05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd use the three amp option until you can pick up another IPR. Once you use the IPRs, I'd use the external crossover.

kipperj
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input, light-o-matic! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking into getting another IPR 3000, I'm just not sure what I can get for those 900s. Any idea what I should try for? I'm also looking into new speakers all around but I have to do it all one step at a time. Thinking of EVs maybe, or something 4ohm so I can get more power out of these without having to double the number of speakers.

kipperj
05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd use the three amp option until you can pick up another IPR. Once you use the IPRs, I'd use the external crossover.

I think that's exactly what i'll do. Thanks for the help!

DJ Higgumz
05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
always run in mono. it may sound good to the 5% in the middle, but the 95% everywhere else won't hear the same and the stereo image is lost everywhere else. stereo, (- today's proccessing) just makes speakers close together sound far apart. if you run mono, run it with the channels summed, and you will acheive almost the same stereo image as you place your speakers farther apart.