PDA

View Full Version : Can I add a sub to this system?

Atomisk
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out of I can run an amp with this system. I'm really not to savvy with Amps and speaker systems - if anyone can point me to a sticky or guide that'd be extremely helpful.

Here's what I'm using now:
2x Yamaha 12" V Club Series
- Power Capacity (Noise) 175W
- Power Capacity (Program) 350W
- Power Capacitiy (Max) 700W
- Nominal Impedance - 8 Ohms

QSC X5
The GX5 power amplifier provides full performance for 500 watt (Program) speakers and supplies maximum possible power to 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads.

Sorry if I'm asking some retarded question. I have no idea how PA systems work. If I can add in a powered sub, do you guys have any recommendations? If I can't, what do you recommend? A powered sub or another amp + powered sub?

Incognito
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
sure you can but as to how to connect it all up depends on the powered sub in question since they're not all the same. Do you have a particular sub in mind?

Atomisk
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Nope, any recommendations? Im looking Something solid but that won't kill my wallet. Generally I'll need it for 500 ppl max

Paris McBryde
05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Nope, any recommendations? Im looking Something solid but that won't kill my wallet. Generally I'll need it for 500 ppl max
first things first....It would be best that you tell us whats the most you can spend, music type, venue,weight or size limit, any details you require in order to properly advise you...

jayhwk
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
The QSC GX5 is a slightly big amp for a Club V but should be OK if you're a bit careful about turning it all the way up (never run your mixer into the red - a clipped mixer will send a nasty signal that the amplifier's built in clip limiters won't catch - hitting the clip light on the amplifier every once and a while is probably fine, because it has a built in clip limiter that you can't turn off).

I say stick with what you know. Pick up a pair of Yamaha SW118Vs and a QSC GX7. Use the built in crossovers on the amplifiers.

EDIT: Pick up one of these too. It'll help you more than any online guide. http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336166406&sr=8-2

Atomisk
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
first things first....It would be best that you tell us whats the most you can spend, music type, venue,weight or size limit, any details you require in order to properly advise you...

I'm thinking under $500 for the budget right now. I don't need anything too crazy, just some sub-bass . Music type is house, usually electro/prog. Venue changes every gig, I'm kinda doin a mobile thing, I generally play for 100-600 people. And weight limit is pretty high, anything I can fit into a SUV.

Jayhwk, thanks for the input. I don't know if I'm tryin to buy another amp to run the subs yet, but that could be a nice step up in the future.

jayhwk
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm thinking under $500 for the budget right now. I don't need anything too crazy, just some sub-bass . Music type is house, usually electro/prog. Venue changes every gig, I'm kinda doin a mobile thing, I generally play for 100-600 people. And weight limit is pretty high, anything I can fit into a SUV.

Jayhwk, thanks for the input. I don't know if I'm tryin to buy another amp to run the subs yet, but that could be a nice step up in the future.

Well, if you buy a passive sub you'll need another amplifier.

If you get a powered sub, you'll need to use the crossover on your GX5 to cut the low frequencies out of the SM12Vs you have already. It will sound pretty nasty to have two loudspeakers covering the same frequency range.

windspeed36
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
600 people with factory made sub for $500? Not happening. I'd be looking into DIY builds such as Bill Fitzmaurice subs. I personally haven't used them but a fair few people here swear by them. They are passive so you will need an external amp +DSP/Crossover however youll cut costs on the actual sub as you do all the work. Also I don't have experience with the Club V's however I'm doubting that 2 12" and a 18" sub are going to cover 600 people. For that sort of size I'd be looking at JBL STX, VRX, RCF NX or 7series or QSC KLA or KW.

jayhwk
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
If he got a sub for 600 person shows the SM12Vs wouldn't be able to keep up. I've got a pair and they're not horrible sounding but there's no way they'd do loud music for six hundred.

If you looked hard and are a good negotiator, you may be able to find a used HPR181 for that much or a little more.

DYM
05-07-2012, 01:43 AM
I could possibly get you a Yorkville LS801PB for $1500 shipped with tax. This is gonna be your best powered bang for your buck.

And maybe a xover too....

Incognito
05-07-2012, 06:25 AM
I could possibly get you a Yorkville LS801PB for $1500 shipped with tax. This is gonna be your best powered bang for your buck.

And maybe a xover too....

one problem with that suggestion

I'm thinking under $500 for the budget right now.

For that budget the only thing I can suggest would be a Billfitzmaurice design but even then he'd need to extend his budget to include an amp such as either the QSC GX series or the Peavey IPR (DSP version) series since they are budget friendly, perform well & have the required processing built in.

DYM
05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Ohhh.. yes silly me. I would save up. That's what I initially ment. Or rent?

Atomisk
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Alright, so let's tone it down to say, 300 people max. I guess 600 people is pretty big, Whenever I do shows that size There's usually a sound system set up for me. So let's say 300-400. I'm not looking for a sub that's gonna project a retarded amount of bass, just something to match my Yamahas that compensates for their lack of sub-bass.

sss18734
05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
300-400 is a good amount of people. Even with DIY I can't realistically imagine spending under $2000 to get bass with any sort of presence... if you go with used amps/processors.

If you're just trying to keep it to the dancefloor, you might be able to get away with less, I suppose.

DJ Higgumz
05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
as you can see with my signature, i swear by bfm haha :) i think you could get close to 500$ if you looked for some signal processors and amps on craigslist, and built a t48 with a lab 12 in it. those t48s get hella loud, lookin at about 130 dbs at 1m! one corner loaded should do more than "add a little bottom"! pm me for more info

Paris McBryde
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Alright, so let's tone it down to say, 300 people max. I guess 600 people is pretty big, Whenever I do shows that size There's usually a sound system set up for me. So let's say 300-400. I'm not looking for a sub that's gonna project a retarded amount of bass, just something to match my Yamahas that compensates for their lack of sub-bass.

To be honest at your current budget, you can not yet afford to buy the gear required. I suggest renting.
btw....describe the system used for your 600 person party.....speaker type, name, how many......

ampnation
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
as you can see with my signature, i swear by bfm haha :) i think you could get close to 500$ if you looked for some signal processors and amps on craigslist, and built a t48 with a lab 12 in it. those t48s get hella loud, lookin at about 130 dbs at 1m! one corner loaded should do more than "add a little bottom"! pm me for more info

I don't think you can hit the $500 mark even with BFM when you add in amp and processor which you must do... however, I don't think it would cost much more. This isn't a horrible idea either because you'll eventually want to expand and when you add a 2nd then 3rd and 4th, you'll not only gain SPL, but bass extension too.

Personally, every time I try to compare BFM to commercial, I end up favoring commercial, but if I were doing mostly school dances and parties vs. weddings, and my audience was typically over 150, I would seriously consider it.

If you decide DIY isn't for you, then I suggest you rent till you can afford more. $500 just isn't enough for that crowd size...and frankly, I would save up then buy an entirely new matched system. The system I would deploy for that many people cost me about $5000 (speakers, amps and processing) but I could see coming in around $2500-3000 and still be okay depending on what you bought. Maybe your expectations are different, your audience having different standards etc. In that case, try a couple of SW118V subs with appropriate QSC GX or RMX amps powering plus a crossover...it's just easier with a crossover unless you're looking at tops and subs with matched ratings. Look for an amp with 1.5x to 2x your speakers RMS rating. Be mindful of the effects of running more than one speaker in parallel if you plan on doing that. Frankly, if you don't know about this stuff already, I HIGHLY suggest you go the active/powered speaker route.