PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - help with pro audio for home

cmhasty
05-04-2012, 03:16 PM
So im looking for an affordable powerful system solely used for music for parties at my house. It seems a Pro audio setup or Dj speaker setup what ever its called is best for me so my question is What do i need? Obviously 2 speakers and i want a sub...Since the system wont be moving are passive speakers with an amp the best way to go? also im not sure how the pro amps work, do i need some sort of pre amp/proccesor or something to hook up my PC/Ipod, control volume or do the amps have that functionality? Also how do i connect a powered Sub to the system...what device does it plug into?

Basically im just looking to figure out what items i need in addition to the speakers/sub as well as what the best brands that are in my price range...id like to keep it to around 700 or so not including the sub which i purchase at a later time

Thanks in advance for the help!

Incognito
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
A couple suggestions comes to mind while keeping in mind your experience level, intended use as well as budget but first I would like to ask you a couple questions. How big is your house, is this solely for indoor use or do you want to be able to have a powerful enough system to carry a backyard party as well? How many people are you looking to cover if you do wish to do back yard parties?

If you're only looking for indoor parties that will be relatively small then you might want to look into a pair of monitors then add a sub later. If you want to do the back yard thing then a pair of powered speakers such as the RCF 312a come to mind with the addition of a powered sub later on down the line. If an all in one plug & play system is what you're considering then something like the Matrix 1000 maybe better suited to you. Either way I would also recommend the purchase of a small mixer to connect your PC/Ipod to & as for a suggestion there, it would depend on the given budget & if you want one with extra bells & whistles included or just a bare bones board.

jayhwk
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Let's start at the beginning:

A complete system will consist of loudspeakers, amplifiers, loudspeaker processing, a crossover, a mixer, and a source device. That's in reverse order from how it's hooked up.

A lot of loudspeakers, like the aforementioned RCF 312a are a loudspeaker with a built in amplifier, processing, and crossover. I think that would be perfect for you - they're simpler to use and harder to blow up.

Consumer grade equipment (iPods, etc) don't operate at the same level as professional grade equipment. Pro is +4 dBu while consumer is -10dBV. Plugging an iPod straight into a powered loudspeaker will kinda work, but using a small mixer like a Soundcraft Notepad 102 would be much better.

cmhasty
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
thanks for the reply Incognito, my house is decent size and fairly isolated from neighbors, the sound system will remain inside up in my loft which is open and overlooking the foyer and living room which has about a 20ft ceiling, the speakers will be in the back end of the loft which has about 20ft to reach the opening of the the rest of the house. Ill definitely grab a mixer as suggested i guess i just have to decide if i want the all in one system...do you think the matrix 1000 is a good quality unit capable of filling both rooms?

cmhasty
05-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I think your right that something like the RCF 312 is good because im not familiar with sound systems yet...very new to this. Is that unit the best for my price range, are there any other options? and as mentioned above i have a decent amount of space in the house to fill...just want to make sure i can hear and feel it down in my living room. Thanks man!

DYM
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Your going to need 2 RCF 312As a sub and a cross over to "feel it" down stairs.... wire it all up so the sub is on the ground floor and tops are flying.

cmhasty
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Question, with the rcf 312 or similair speaker they will just connect directly into a mixer with no need for further equiptment correct? then its the sub that needs a crossover to connect to the speakers right? so for starters i just need active speakers and a mixer to be able to use the system?

DYM
05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Question, with the rcf 312 or similair speaker they will just connect directly into a mixer with no need for further equiptment correct? then its the sub that needs a crossover to connect to the speakers right? so for starters i just need active speakers and a mixer to be able to use the system?

Yep.. just XLR cables

Incognito
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
The Matrix system will come with everything you require down stream from the mixer (pair of tops, sub, some come with a pair of speaker stands depending on vendor, cables plus a few other extras) but a pair of RCF 312a plus a powered sub will offer a better future upgrade path (offer both higher SPL as well as better sound quality but will cost more over all).

mookie
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I was researching, too, and with everyone's recommendation for the RCF 312a's I will probably go with them.

What would be a good powered-sub to match the RCF 312a?

SummitAudioDJ
05-05-2012, 07:49 PM
For my home audio I went with Polk Audio Monitor series speakers. They are very affordable, look and sound great. They are also better suited if you want to play 5.1 surround sound on them. They will blend into a home envirnment better than a pair of 12" pro cabs. Now you will need a 5.1 amplified receiver to run them.

This would be an example of a matches system

Pair of Monitor 60 or 70 towers
Pair of Monitor 30 or 40 surrounds
CS1 or CS2 Center channel
Pair of PSW10 or PSW110 powered subs

These subs are only 50/100w but my little PSW10 can really deliver the lows.

Incognito
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
For my home audio I went with Polk Audio Monitor series speakers. They are very affordable, look and sound great. They are also better suited if you want to play 5.1 surround sound on them. They will blend into a home envirnment better than a pair of 12" pro cabs. Now you will need a 5.1 amplified receiver to run them.

This would be an example of a matches system

Pair of Monitor 60 or 70 towers
Pair of Monitor 30 or 40 surrounds
CS1 or CS2 Center channel
Pair of PSW10 or PSW110 powered subs

These subs are only 50/100w but my little PSW10 can really deliver the lows.
Problem with that is the OP was looking for "Pro Audio" system that will fill a house with 20' ceilings, while in a 20' loft that opens into the rest of the house. The system you have recommended wasn't designed to cover that large of space, especially not to "room filling levels. It will be heard throughout that coverage area but it will not be felt & once he starts getting that area filled with guests that little system would be working on edge thus increasing the potential of blowing drivers.

There are home theater style speakers that will easily cover the area he wants to SPL that would be more then enough to host a party but those tend to be on the pricey end. Trying to accomplish this on a budget & still reach the SPL he's looking for he'll have a sacrifice one way or the other (aesthetics or SPL), he could do a bunch of remotely located home speakers but then you start getting yourself into a whole other set of potential issues.

DYM
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I say place 4-5 RCFs around the house.. 2 in loft, 2 on main floor, and one in the farest room.

mookie
05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Actually, researching some more, looks like the yorkshire ls720p would be a good woofer with the RCF 312a?

For a party of around 50 would one 312 and one 720 suffice? I'm looking to buy my first speaker setup but not sure if I really need to get dual speakers for such a small party.

The option to add a second 312/720 could come later.

DYM
05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Yep the Yorkville subs pack a punch. My setup for all my events whether it be a dinner party, backyard gig, or school dance is my 2 RCF 312A's and the LS801PB... Very versatile because it can produce a full sound or can pack a punch when you need it.

You might be able to get away with one top, but I say go for two... You can have the sub with a pole mount on it and buy a double speaker bracket, this mounting 2 tops atop of one sub. It can cause sound frequency cancellations, but eh.

SummitAudioDJ
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry I missed the whole loft post. Regardless sound isn't going to travel downward out of the loft very well. My Polk system reaches ear piercing levels in my 20x30 room. You will really need to either fly a pair of speakers over the living room and have a pair in the back of the loft or a pair in the living room and a pair in the loft.