PDA

View Full Version : Best Production Apps?

DJ Watty
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I have a lot of music apps on both my iPhone and iPad. I am looking for a grid style sequencer app. Does anyone here have a favorite? Or one you would tell people to stay away from?
My DAWs are Cubase, ProTools 6.3, and Ableton Live.

My Current production Apps (not including remote controls) are;
iMaschine
Budgie
Animoog
MusicStudio Lite

My goal is to be able to create a sequence and preferably a whole song / beat on the road for my music production classes. I heard some where that Steinberg will be releasing a app soon, but havent been able to find any more info on it since I first heard about it.
Thanks in advance for your input

Aron
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow you spent a lot of money on DAWs :eek:

DJ Watty
02-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Haha . Yes, I have indeed.

It funny, I didn't really want cubase. But my professor convinced me that having all of my eggs in one DAW basket wasn't a good idea. Personally I like the idea of have one software that does almost everything. But what ever....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.723937,-73.438595

thehadgi
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
my professor convinced me that having all of my eggs in one DAW basket wasn't a good idea

Your professor kind of sounds like he's never seriously made music on a professional level before... I think it's a good idea to put all your eggs in one DAW until you learn it inside and out. Then if you find any shortcomings you don't like about it, search for a specific solution to the issue at hand.

I can't imagine how someone teaching production can advise students to learn multiple DAW's at once... they all do the same thing in different ways! I'd recommend just sticking with ableton, once you get comfortable with the layout, you'll how powerful it is as a grid-based thing you were talking about

thehadgi
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Ah, but you said for your iphone/ipad... that I don't know. whoops

DJ Watty
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Ah, but you said for your iphone/ipad... that I don't know. whoops

It's all good. And yes I agree. I love my Ableton. Been using it for almost 3 years now I think. But only recently really dived into it last year, as my mobile DJ business takes up most of my spare time.

punky
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Ableton is pretty awesome imho. And if you're already a DJ, it makes perfect sense.

mostapha
02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Depends on what you want.

Technobox2 is kidna cool, but not grid based. It's like using 2 roland drum machines and 2 303s.

NI and Akai either have or will soon release iPhone/iPad versions of Maschine and the MPC, and the MPC Fly is an MPC-style case/controller for the iPad2.

Give those a look and report back?

login
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Well I dont have an iPad yet but so far I am looking for these once I get one:

Lemur
Touchable
TouchOSC
iMS-20
Animoog
garageband
jasuto
Alchemy
sunrizer
konkreet

login
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
This ones are not synths, sequencers or midi controllers(Well I think both can be also) are primarly a different take on playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQlneYvY0jQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_e8dF5f6Qs&list=UU71CBQlbaM076ZCGUn_UjDg&index=20&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnCHa6iMbw

Dj Rellik
02-21-2012, 03:52 AM
I started using Ableton 3 weeks ago. True , it's not easy , but in time after you learn the basics , you have just to use your creativity , and i think it's the same for all production softwares , but all have their advantages and disadvantages. I haven't played with any other software , i started dirctly with ableton.

Manu
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Logic Pro
Pro Tools
Cubase
Ableton
Reason

I also use other stuff on the side like MAX/MSP, time stretching software and editing software.

login
02-21-2012, 01:02 PM
this was about iOS apps :P

DJ Watty
02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
this was about iOS apps :P

Yes indeed. :-) I am very happy with Ableton Live. Looking for something iOS that I can sequence on. Still looking for the right one. THanks for all the replies.