PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DXR - to sub or not to sub

sanderr2
05-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy my first PA for DJ'ing after doing a few house parties using some studio monitors which weren't really up to the task. I play dance music - especially classics from the early 90s Renaissance era and I want to be able to play to c.100 people. The just launched Yamaha DXR has great write ups with some reviewers saying that for DJ work they are better than the more expensive DSR range so I'm pretty sold on them - especially as Dolphin music have them with a 16% discount off list.

Details of the speakers are here: http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dxr/?mode=series#tab=feature

My headache is which configuration to go for?

Do I go for a pair of big DXR15s without subs which would cost £1310 or would I be better off with smaller mains - eg DXR8 with matched DSX12 subs - £2216. Budget isn't too much of an issue but I'd appreciate any views on which way to go - is it worth the extra £900 to have a pair of subs. Space / weight isn't really an issue either...

Any views?

Thanks,
Rob

Incognito
05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Al Polin is the man you need to speak to on this since he has done a review on both of the listed speakers. I do remember him saying that he wasn't impressed with the DSX line up of subs, the kind of music you play is more punchy in your chest bass (80hz or 90hz & up region) rather then deep rumbles so you just may be fine with just a set of the 15" tops & engage it's processing.

Al Poulin
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I was VERY impressed with the DXR15s - especially the low frequencies they can produce without subs. They are honestly some of the best sounding full range cabs I have ever tested. With the D-Contour activated and a small high frequency boost on your mixer they sound hi-fi, very detailed and surprisingly full with extension that would make you believe you are using a sub or two.

As for the DX8, I was very impressed with these tiny cabs as well. Performance for size is surprising and with a good sub or two, they would make an excellent sounding combo. As for the DSX subs, my first impression was that they are more thumpy than anything else and don't seem to quite go down low enough to be considered true subs. I much prefer the sound of my 720P. These were my impression after a quick audition. That said, I am probably a little fussier than the average person at a party and in most situations, the DSX subs will probably do just fine. I did notice that there is a button on the back that seems to increase the low frequency response (like the d-Contour on the full range cabs), but I did not play with it at the time so possibly this would help them out, but from my limited audition - what I heard I did not really like.

I suggest you try the DXR15s first. I think you will be surprised at the quality of sound and especially low frequencies these can produce. Although quite a bit of the extension is through processing, I've found Yamaha knows what it is doing when it comes to DSP. The DXR cabs I've tested so far remain clean and musical at all levels I've been able to test them at. The mixer section on the back is a nice plus as well and the stand tilt option. I'm currently deciding which model I will be purchasing for myself. :)

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

sanderr2
05-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks Al! I'm still in a bit of a quandry as to whether to go for the 8's and invest in a QSC181 sub or get a pair of the 15s and add a sub at a later stage if I'm not getting enough bass. Decisions, decisions... Rob