PDA

View Full Version : 24 Bit Export

thehadgi
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey, I remember Eric mentioning something on 1.0 about bouncing out of the DAW at a 24 bit depth to prepare for mastering. Does that sound about right? Something about lower noise floor? And anyone know what specifics on dithering should be applied (triangular, etc)?

Atomisk
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey, I remember Eric mentioning something on 1.0 about bouncing out of the DAW at a 24 bit depth to prepare for mastering. Does that sound about right? Something about lower noise floor? And anyone know what specifics on dithering should be applied (triangular, etc)?

Personally I render at 32, so the ME can bring it up for the final render with minimal quality loss. Ask your ME what he wants for dithering, I usually dither after I master my stuff. Maybe I shouldn't... Idk

Manu
05-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Something about lower noise floor? And anyone know what specifics on dithering should be applied (triangular, etc)?

Depends, I worked with machines that handle a recording at -15db, it's useful with real instruments and gives you extra room for dynamics. A lot of people will work within -6 to -10 which I do myself, just to grab a little extra signal to noise ratio. But you're correct, you get a lower noise floor. Not much to write home about when producing in a full digital environment.

You don't use dithering until the very end, it's the last touch when mastering. And you don't dither in 24 bit, only after it has been transferred to 16 bit. POW dithering type 3 gives the sharpest results, type 1 being a little more muddy when the music gets busy. Don't bother with type 2, the algorithm is designed to enhance voice recordings.

Celestial
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
izotope ozone plugin has decent dithering options and it's a decent post production plugin if you want to quickly master the tracks yourself. This works best for edm I found, any other genre should get sent out to a pro mastering engineer. Just saying.

Manu
05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
they won't be more decent than anywhere else, they're all the same 3 patented algorithms. POW#1,2, and 3 like I explained above.

any other genre should get sent out to a pro mastering engineer. Just saying.

If you know how to mix and master, you should be able to do any genre.