PDA

View Full Version : strobes, how much is needed?

Dave Daschofsky
05-02-2012, 02:42 AM
I've got a pair of 70w, non dmx strobes. I'm thinking of replacing it with an 800w dmx one but is it really needed? I've got 8 scanners (4 are barrels) and some slimpar 56 lights so would it be a better effect to just program all of them to strobe in one color or with a dmx strobe? Or would i get more impact hitting blackout on everything and firing the smaller strobes by themselves?

DJNR
05-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Any strobe...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/2/8/af266292-7727-448d-bade-05829823ce33.jpg

Mystic
05-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Strobes are a sensitive topic in lighting when dealing with smaller rigs. Basically put, you need some basic knowledge in "lighting theory" to really use them effectively on a small rig because everything I've seen shows that most people when using them tend to overdo it. Some people have this idea that every drop deserves a strobe push which is absurd and looks terribly sloppy after a while.

For a good effect on a smaller rig, I tend to use movers as my strobes because I can do so much with them to blend the effect.

Capt. Kirk
05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I have a Chauvet 750W Mega Strobe III and enjoy it, It seems to do okay in a gym sized setting but two of them would be more adequate for a gym if you also had your other lighting on at the same time. If it was dark it would do fine by itself but that will never happen for the most part. I think several of the smaller strobes say scattered throughout a truss on random flash rates different from each other looks better than just one and gives more a that flash from lots of cameras looks.

It kind of depends on what you want overall.

Coronaoperator
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll give my $ .02

For a mobile gig I would scrap the strobes for a few reasons:

1 - They are VERY power hungry. Anything under 750watts is a flashing light, not a real strobe effect. Ideally you would want 750-900watt strobes or if your ceiling is over 20feet high then the 3000 watt strobes. They trip breakers like crazy unless they have a dedicated circuit such as in a permanent install.

2 - They are very annoying unless they are pointed STRAIGHT DOWN from the ceiling as to not glare in anyones eyes. Usually not an option for a mobile DJ using a lighting bar but easily enough accomplished in an install.

3 - As mystic said they are only exciting in small doses, anything more and they get annoying. For a mobile DJ lugging around a piece of kit that will only be used for a total of 45 seconds or less during the entire night and can trip breakers seems like more work than whats its worth.

For a permanent install, strobes are absolutely essencial! Nothing else can flash the room (especially with haze or smoke) like a strobe but they have to be mounted up high pointed down and on their own circuit. If you do use a strobe, get a remote controller where you can vary the tempo of the strobe to speed it up and slow it down.

Strobes can also look good on the floor behind the DJ pointing straight up to flash the DJ booth on certain cues if you want to draw some attention to yourself (performance DJ)

pertytown
05-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Another thing about strobes...I have found they can be a liability, as they can set off epileptic seizures.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Capt. Kirk
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll give my $ .02

For a mobile gig I would scrap the strobes for a few reasons:

1 - They are VERY power hungry. Anything under 750watts is a flashing light, not a real strobe effect. Ideally you would want 750-900watt strobes or if your ceiling is over 20feet high then the 3000 watt strobes. They trip breakers like crazy unless they have a dedicated circuit such as in a permanent install.

2 - They are very annoying unless they are pointed STRAIGHT DOWN from the ceiling as to not glare in anyones eyes. Usually not an option for a mobile DJ using a lighting bar but easily enough accomplished in an install.

3 - As mystic said they are only exciting in small doses, anything more and they get annoying. For a mobile DJ lugging around a piece of kit that will only be used for a total of 45 seconds or less during the entire night and can trip breakers seems like more work than whats its worth.

For a permanent install, strobes are absolutely essencial! Nothing else can flash the room (especially with haze or smoke) like a strobe but they have to be mounted up high pointed down and on their own circuit. If you do use a strobe, get a remote controller where you can vary the tempo of the strobe to speed it up and slow it down.

Strobes can also look good on the floor behind the DJ pointing straight up to flash the DJ booth on certain cues if you want to draw some attention to yourself (performance DJ)

I have mounted mine up on my truss so it faces straight up towards the ceiling, this also does not flash in anyone's eyes but could cause a loss of the output which is why I said two would do a gym well.

Synaxis
05-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Another thing about strobes...I have found they can be a liability, as they can set off epileptic seizures.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

That's actually happened to me before. I was attending a party at a venue, and they had a CRAZY bright strobe.

First and only time I ever had a seizure. And It was pretty terrifying.

Strobes have never bothered me before, nor do any of my current strobes bother me. Except for that particular one.

Got to be careful with them. I never in my life thought it would occur to me.

trauma11
05-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Chauvet Impulse 648. Has the same output as a 750 watt fixture.

Dave Daschofsky
05-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Sounds like my best bet would just be to use my dmx controller to strobe my scanners and wash lights. Thanks everyone!

DJ Higgumz
05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
why not go with a couple color palletes? work double as wash/strobe and won't trip breakers.

trauma11
05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Not a very bright strobe or wash for that matter

DJ Higgumz
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
That's why I said a couple...

Dave Daschofsky
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
why not go with a couple color palletes? work double as wash/strobe and won't trip breakers.

I plan on getting a lot more led pars for uplighting so i could just use some for washes.