PDA

View Full Version : Mackie SRM1801 vs Behringer B1500D-Pro for Subwoofer

Pip
05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi. First time poster here. I have a quick question for you guys. I'm just beginning and just got two Behringer B215Ds. I want to get a subwoofer as well and I was planning to get a Behringer B1500D-Pro but I see I can get the Mackie SRM1801 for the same price. The Behringer is 15" and the Mackie is 18". However, the Behringer appears to be more powerful. Which would sound better? I appreciate your opinions.

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I've seen used HPR181i go for about the same price.

Here's one on your Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/msg/2949591293.html

SummitAudioDJ
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
The Mackie would get my vote but to be honest I wouldn't touch either. I feel a better budget sub would be the ElectroVoice ELX118P .

Pip
05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
jayhwk, that's a good find and very tempting. Although, $500 was already pushing it for my current subwoofer budget. I don't know if I can justify another $300 at this time.

SummitAudioDJ, I realize that neither are great but I'd like to get something. My plan is to get a basic system going, and then upgrade piece-by-piece to a bigger system. I don't plan on having these subwoofers long-term, just something to get started with.

Thank you both for your input.

djmunster
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Dont know bout the behringer ,looks good on paper ,as for mackies imho I would never touch mackies ever again a very under performing sub ,Mackie uused to be good years ago now the sell crap and try to ride high on what they used to be

SummitAudioDJ
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Understood, but we were all in the same boat at one time or another and can tell you it is worth saving up a few extra hundered and buying the right gear the first time instead of flushing money down the drain constantly upgrading gear. There are several companies that offer a flexible payment plans on a credit or bank card you already own. AMS has a 3 and 5 payment plan depending on total cost. ZZ sounds offers a 4 payment plan on items over $300. These are interest free monthly payments that get deducted from the payment method you choose.

BillESC
05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
You only get once chance for a first impression. Show up with sub-standard gear, you won't be looked at again.

Wait till you can purchase proper gear and you will do well, buy crap and you'll be in a hole probably for the rest of your career. Rent until you can buy right.