PDA

View Full Version : got my first official gig!!

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
ok well i have my first official gig with my dj sets but the only thing i don't got is the speakers! the max i could spend is about $1000 which includes all the wires stands etc. well i just wanted to know if the mackie th15a or the th12a are good? im doing a sorority pool party/bbq. i was wondering if these are perfect for the situation. planning on playing mostly hip hop also with my dj setup which consist of two technics ddm4k and serato.

DJ Que Yi
05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
The 15" Mackie Thumps have a good sound for an entry level/ budget conscious powered speaker. The bass response is what sells the speaker. You can get away without having a sub. However the major drawback is that it will be loud enough without reaching it's limit for a 100 person gig at the most and some will argue that but I've used my Thumps for small events/venues with up to 100 people and the sound was good enough. I quickly added the SRM 1801 sub as soon as I could afford it. So depending on the size of your upcoming pool party - 100 or less you will be able to skate by.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
The 15" Mackie Thumps have a good sound for an entry level/ budget conscious powered speaker. The bass response is what sells the speaker. You can get away without having a sub. However the major drawback is that it will be loud enough without reaching it's limit for a 100 person gig at the most and some will argue that but I've used my Thumps for small events/venues with up to 100 people and the sound was good enough. I quickly added the SRM 1801 sub as soon as I could afford it. So depending on the size of your upcoming pool party - 100 or less you will be able to skate by.

well i think its gonna be more then 100 but its outside and i think the people could still hear it if they up close because i highly doubt they gonna be far away

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
The Mackies are pretty bad. They do not get very loud at all and don't sound very good.

$1k is a decent budget for a rig of your size without adding a sub. A lot of people around here like the RCF Art322a, if you want a loudspeaker with a built in amplifier (which may be a good idea if you don't know much about sound, as it also has a built in limiter). Another option would to be to go with separate loudspeakers and amplifiers abd buy a pair of used EV Sx300s (I wouldn't spend more than $300 a loudspeaker, $250 is more like it. Check e-bay). A QSC GX3 makes a good amp for the Sx300, and I'd purchase all needed cables from audiopile.net.

Even though the Thumps are a 15" they don't get much louder than my 8" EV Zx1s. Their low frequency cutoff is pretty high, too. The specs say -3dB at 50 Hz, but the frequency response graph shows them -5dB at 50 Hz, and -3 at 60Hz. That's not very low.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
The Mackies are pretty bad. They do not get very loud at all and don't sound very good.

$1k is a decent budget for a rig of your size without adding a sub. A lot of people around here like the RCF Art322a, if you want a loudspeaker with a built in amplifier (which may be a good idea if you don't know much about sound, as it also has a built in limiter). Another option would to be to go with separate loudspeakers and amplifiers abd buy a pair of used EV Sx300s (I wouldn't spend more than $300 a loudspeaker, $250 is more like it. Check e-bay). A QSC GX3 makes a good amp for the Sx300, and I'd purchase all needed cables from audiopile.net.

well i need the speakers by sunday and my local stores doesnt sell RCF..

windspeed36
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
$1k? Pair of RCF 312A's and perhaps rent a subwoofer. My other suggestion is to rent the entire system untill you start getting sent more work. You haven't mentioned lighting?

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
well i need the speakers by sunday and my local stores doesnt sell RCF..

Rent. You should be able to rent a couple powered speakers and all the cables for a hundred bucks or so (depending on where you are in the country, that seems to be the going rate here).

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
$1k? Pair of RCF 312A's and perhaps rent a subwoofer. My other suggestion is to rent the entire system untill you start getting sent more work. You haven't mentioned lighting?

well its a pool party i dont think i need lights. and the renting thing here isn't really available where im at and the rcf isn't at my local stores. the gig is on this sun

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Rent. You should be able to rent a couple powered speakers and all the cables for a hundred bucks or so (depending on where you are in the country, that seems to be the going rate here).

there isn't really places to rent here where i live and most of it is not good quality

windspeed36
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Next best: Yamaha DXR12, QSC K12, JBL PRX612M...

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
well its a pool party i dont think i need lights. and the renting thing here isn't really available where im at and the rcf isn't at my local stores. the gig is on this sun

Where are you and what stores are available? There are sound companies pretty much everywhere for equipment rental. $1k is a lot of money to blow on a pair of speakers that may not work very well. Five days isn't much time to think about it, either. Do it once right, or you'll end up spending three times your original budget.

You may be able to get a pair of loudspeakers shipped to you before Sunday, but it'll be expensive.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Where are you and what stores are available? There are sound companies pretty much everywhere for equipment rental. $1k is a lot of money to blow on a pair of speakers that may not work very well. Five days isn't much time to think about it, either. Do it once right, or you'll end up spending three times your original budget.

You may be able to get a pair of loudspeakers shipped to you before Sunday, but it'll be expensive.

there is only guitarcenter and samash around here. im in tampa fl. i called my stores asking where i could rent they couldn't tell me much cause they knew little about it. adn yeah i want to do it right but that time thing is killing me...

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
there is only guitarcenter and samash around here. im in tampa fl. i called my stores asking where i could rent they couldn't tell me much cause they knew little about it. adn yeah i want to do it right but that time thing is killing me...

I would go to fourms.prosoundweb.com and to soundforums.net , make accounts, and post "URGENT: Speaker Rental Wanted in Tampa" ads in the Marketplace asking for either a pair of 12" powered speakers or a reference to someone who does rent them. You could also google "Production Rental Tampa FL) and get some good results.

The stores won't tell you because they want to sell you equipment.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM

what about these speakers? like i could try to ask the guy to part out his speakers hopefully.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/2902546500.html

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
what about these speakers? like i could try to ask the guy to part out his speakers hopefully.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/2902546500.html

Those are pretty good entry level loudspeakers. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for the pair, though. $600 is about right. The RCFs might outperform them, but the EVs are pretty solid performers.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Those are pretty good entry level loudspeakers. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for the pair, though. $600 is about right. The RCFs might outperform them, but the EVs are pretty solid performers.

yeah the EV have good name to them and this is around where is live. i was hoping to pay 650 with all of the accessories too.

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/msg/2958274243.html

If these are really Made In Italy Mackies, they might be a good deal if you can talk him down to the $600 range too. The newer Made in China SRM450s aren't as good, but the Made in Italy ones are actually an RCF design that preceded the 322.

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 09:30 PM

If these are really Made In Italy Mackies, they might be a good deal if you can talk him down to the $600 range too. The newer Made in China SRM450s aren't as good, but the Made in Italy ones are actually an RCF design that preceded the 322.

thanks for all the help you really are a life savior! i emailed the guy with the mackies and texted the ev guy. and found a good rental place if nothing goes through!!! THANKS

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 09:42 PM

another questions do i need a mixing board or can i use my dj mixer to play sound?

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 09:47 PM
another questions do i need a mixing board or can i use my dj mixer to play sound?

You should just be able to come out of the DJ mixer and go straight into the powered speakers using a microphone cable (XLR to XLR connectors) and the correct adaptors. What model DJ mixer do you have?

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
You should just be able to come out of the DJ mixer and go straight into the powered speakers using a microphone cable (XLR to XLR connectors) and the correct adaptors. What model DJ mixer do you have?

ok i was wondering about it thats all. yeah my mixer has two xlrs main outs so i should be good.

Unknown DJ
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
there isn't really places to rent here where i live and most of it is not good quality

Your clearly not looking hard enough.

http://www.aardvarkmusic.com/pro_audio.htm
http://www.soundlightingrentals.com/speaker-rentals.asp
http://www.brybranentertainment.com/gear-list

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Your clearly not looking hard enough.

http://www.aardvarkmusic.com/pro_audio.htm
http://www.soundlightingrentals.com/speaker-rentals.asp
http://www.brybranentertainment.com/gear-list

well clearly didn't read the rest of the post.

Unknown DJ
05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
well clearly didn't read the rest of the post.

How old are you maybe get your parents to help you out?

DJ NuVo
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
How old are you maybe get your parents to help you out?

haha youre funny. maybe you should get more manners instead of accusing someone of not doing something if you don't know.

windspeed36
05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
That sort of attitude isn't going to get you very far

DJ NuVo
05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
That sort of attitude isn't going to get you very far

its alright i already found what i needed but you helped me out with the speaker situation too so thanks!