PDA

View Full Version : HELP progressing as a DJ

dbeckham2314
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey everybody,

Im new here so be kind. But anyways, I have been djing for about 2 years now and recently have gotten more serious about it.
I currently use a macbook pro, an American Audio VMS2, and Virtual DJ LE. I am wondering if my setup (besides speakers, obviously) should have anything else added to it (preferably inexpensive) to help me progress as a dj.

I am willing to hear any/ all suggestions!

Thanks,

DBecks

Synergy
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
get some tables and use your dvs system as it was intended? learn to beatmatch by ear with cdjs or tts.

dbeckham2314
05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
what is dvs?

matty1551
05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
what is dvs?

Oh boy....buy mine and I'll tell you.

Atomisk
05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
what is dvs?

Digital Vinyl System. It's a program that lets you play sound files off your computer.

Andrew B
05-02-2012, 01:03 AM
get some tables and use your dvs system as it was intended? learn to beatmatch by ear with cdjs or tts.

He doesn't have a DVS. But learning to beatmatch by ear is definitely recommended to progress as a DJ.

mostapha
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
It's not about the equipment. Find flaws in your technique and work on them.

If you have money and find a piece of gear that helps you do something that you want to do better than what you have, go for it…but technique should come before toys if you want to progress.

Synergy
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
always record when u play...always

Evolved
05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I bought myself 2 x technics 1200 M3D's and a Pioneer 300S Mixer and learned on those for about 4 years as my first dip into a dj learning tool (aside from digital computer mixing apps). I sold them and have CDJ-2000 players now w/Xone 92 mixer. Do I regret it? No, but do get the erge to play a vinyl record once in a while that i can't find on digital. I had been using digital mixing programs before like Mixmeister and what not but wanted to get tables to experience how it is to learn how to beat match on the standard equipment used in the field.

I had asked the same questions and the answers I got were - save and get what you want/need. It took me 6 mo before I had my second M3D turntable. I know some people that take 2 years to buy the second deck (be it CDJ-2000 or what not) - they say its worth the wait.

But right now if what your using does the trick, don't worry about it - just save your money. The only thing I would be concerned about if any is quality of sound. I Use only WAV whenever I can help it. That might be a cheaper upgrade if you are using 320 MP3's. Just not a huge one unless you can get WAV quality files the music you play or your entire collection. It takes time. It is a process. But you have been djing for 2 years. I'm sure you already know what I'm babbling on about anyway in this regard. I don't know what your sound system is but yeah. RCF?

If you have everything you need to put on a show. Concentrate on upgrades or small improvements. Make a personal goal and reach it.

PartyMontser
05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I would recommend to beat match by ear first then go back to visual learning. All to many times Ive seen djs learn visually and when thrown on cdjs they wrecked their whole set. Dont be one if you want ti move forward in the game, stay focused.

Sam Whitman
05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I would stop using the VSM2 and buy some like American Audio Radius 1000's to try using an actual jogwheel. The thing about those jogwheels on the VMS is that they are all touch sensative, you can't use the sides to pitch bend.