PDA

View Full Version : Shure PGXD Series.. Reviews?

blancnoir
04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Looking to replace my Audio-Technica setups for the new Shure Digital Series.. any thoughts or reviews.. ill even take a suggestion or two...

windspeed36
04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
You've probably posted in the wrong section but I digress. The PGX can only support 5 systems at a time so they are okay for DJing as long as there aren't other events happening in the venue using similar frequencies. You'll be strugling to find hands on experience due to them only being released I think at NAMM '12

blancnoir
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
tried looking for the appropriate section.. was doing it from my phone.. anyway what about the pgx series? any reviews?

jayhwk
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I hate to always be telling people to spend more money, but wireless is one of the situations where it really matters - I say if you're going to buy a cheap wireless, you should use a wired mic instead.

I haven't used the PGX-D but I have used the PGX and have not been impressed. I would use either a ULXs (about $650 a channel for an SM58 handheld) or ULX-D (about $1000 a channel, I think) if you want a real professional digital. Anything cheaper is, in my opinion, playing a game with fate.

Incognito
05-03-2012, 02:16 AM
For DJ use, the original Shure PGX hasn't once failed me in the roughly six years I have used it with no interference, drop outs, etc. so if the new digital series matches the reliability of the original & you're not trying to mic a stage show thus requiring a lot of independent mics then it should serve you well for standard DJ use. I have used mines for standard DJ use, functions requiring an open mic for speeches, poetry, singers, etc. in venues ranging for churches, clubs, bars, outdoor functions, hotels, etc. & not once felt the Shure PGX SM58 wasn't up to the task.

BillESC
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Something to think of, there's probably less RF traffic on an Island Paradise then there is in NYC.

OP, which Audio Technica system(s) to you have now?

Incognito
05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Something to think of, there's probably less RF traffic on an Island Paradise then there is in NYC.

Good point.

jayhwk
05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
If I was in NYC I'd think hard a spectrum analyzer and some books about how to use it!