PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Old School Breaks Sources (1986 and Earlier)

rchecka
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
How well you guys know your OG breaks?

Name off your TOP 5 favorite original sample sources.

(Don't mention who sampled it first, mention the original artist who was sampled) for Hip Hop tracks released no later then 1986.

Nies One
05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
all time fav for me is

1. Take Me to Mardi Gras -Bob James / Run Dmc used for Peter Piper ... too funkey, but what do you expect from the Good ol Bob :shrug:

close runner up

2. Stanley Turrentine - Sister Sanctified / Krs-One - My Phislosphy... this could be 1987 but I'm not sure:uhoh:

3. Fonda Rae's - Over Like a Fat Rat / Eric B. Is President - Eric B & Rakim ... funkey bass line in the track:slayer:

4. The Honey Drippers Impeach the President / MC Shan The Bridge ... One of my favorite orginal breaks to juggle:music:

5. 5 Freddy feat. Beeside - Change the Beat / Schoolly D P.S.K. - What Does It Mean? ... some days this track can be my #1 :love:

rchecka
05-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Fantastic list.
Nies One knows wassup.

ParisCreative
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Great sounds that Nies One put up, and all of those would grace my top 5, especially Impeach The President, probably the most sampled loop in all of hip-hop. Other honorable mentions:

I got my mind made up - Instant Funk (De La, PE, 2Pac)
Just Kissed My Baby- The Meters (EPMD)
I'm Your Puppet - James and Bobby Purify (Intelligent Hoodlum, Cam'ron)
Ashley’s Roachclip - The Soul Searchers (Eric B & Rakim)
The Big Beat - Billy Squire (Run DMC)
Apache - Incredible Bongo Band (too many to list here)

brawny
05-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Pretty much all of these are from the Cold Crush / Fantastic Five battle because I'm obsessed with that battle. So perfect.

Commodores Assembly line is my fav. Love the Grandwizard theodore and later kool G rap flavor

Funkadelic You'll like it too. It's been a long time

Kool and the gang Jungle Jazz

T ski valley catch the beat

Cerrone Rocket in the Pocket- who would have thought it was so damn hip hop. For the longest time I thought those were scratches, but they aren't!

Ravi Ravs Singh
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
- Top 5 breaks -

1. I'd have to say first up 'The Winstons - Amen Brother' probably the most sampled break in history across all genres.

2. Ray Davies and the Button down Brass - Leaguliner - Dunno if it's been sampl but the break that kicks in after the 1 min mark is killer. Probs my fav break period.

3. The Commadores - Assembly line - has a killer break at the end. So fucking hype and it's been sampled a fair bit by the who's who of production. Chemical Brother, Eric B Rakim, Third Bass just to name a few.

4. Earth Wind Fire - Africano - This tune has a absolute killer break as well. I have doubles of this on 45 and the break starts right away as the start which makes it perfect for flipping doubles. But on the LP version it starts after 1 min after the flute intro. I think it's been sample by DJ Quik. But OG is always better haha

5. Incredible Bongo Band - Apache - yeah yeah everyone has sampled this...

2 and 4 are my fav bu I guess 1,3,5 in terms of popularity.

PZ

Ravs