PDA

View Full Version : Denon DNS1200 Or Pioneer CDJ350

JDH
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey guys

So I'm gonna start getting some money together and get some CD players to join my Denon DN-X120 mixer. I've narrowed my choice down to the DNS1200s and the CDJ350s.

I was initially going to go for the DNS1200s since I've got a Denon mixer. Saw a retailer doing a pair of them for £850, but also seen the same retailer doing the CDJs £150 extra for the pair. £150 for me is the equivalent to working two Sunday shifts so it's not the hardest thing in the world.

I've heard loads of stuff people saying you want to buy something that's a bit of investment and has a good second hand value, something that Pioneer are pretty established about. So I was wondering what the best option to go to was. Bearing in mind I'm gonna be learning to beatmatch on these, so I'll be covering up any BPM indicators with a bit of tape - and would never touch the BPM lock (surely beatmatching is half the fun of DJing?).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

nolimitz
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Even though both look like toys, i'd go with the Denon. You can use the fader start option on your mixer.

Not too fond of the CDJ 350, i'd rathe the 400.

Denon is the second best DJ gear you can get in terms of Cd players.

Andrew B
04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
The Denons are more tempting with the spinning platter. Are you looking to scratch at all?

Im not sure if the CDJ 350 has scratching capabilities. Even tho both of them look like toys, i'd go with the S1200.

You can also use your mixer's fader start option with the S1200.

The Denons don't have a spinning platter.

Both have vinyl mode.

Sween
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
I have the DN-S1200's and X-120. The platters don't spin. The spinning platters are on the 3700's.

They are decent. Not the best, but decent.

DJ Highline
04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
If you are not in a big rush, I wouldn't either. The CDJ-350 like all Pioneer is solid but way overpriced for what you get. I owned the S1200s for quite some time and they are fantastic decks. Probably the best value for your money out there. But at this point, I probably wouldn't buy them new. If you can get a good deal on a used pair I would say go for them. Denon is in the process of changing their platform with the release of the flagship SC3900. Which means that at least 1 smaller version of this player is more than likely imminent. If you can wait, wait for the new Denon to come in probably a few months.

JDH
05-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys, good input.

Probably am swayed for the S1200s then. I'm planning on learning on vinyl mode since I don't have a big enough record collection as of yet. I did hear that Denon were bringing out a new range of decks and I suppose I can hang on for those. I don't have the cash upfront as of yet - might do by the end of June but I suppose I can keep the money to one side and if anything pops up then I've got the cash already.

One quick question, can the S1200s be used as a MIDI controller for DJ software programs? Cheers

DJ Nutty
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Yeah both the denon and the Pioneer 350 can be used as midi controllers. If you want the FX go for the denon, else I'd get the pioneer myself, solely for Rekordbox.

Sween
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
One quick question, can the S1200s be used as a MIDI controller for DJ software programs? Cheers

Yes. That is how I mainly use them and they are solid in that fashion.

JDH
05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Yup I'm set on the Denon's, since the X120 doesnt have any FX, and reckordbox won't be any use to me - I'll just go for the S1200s. Thanks gang.

Andrew B
05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Do you have a local store where you can check them out? That would be the best option.

FWIW, I would recommend the Pioneers.

JDH
05-04-2012, 10:17 AM
decks.co.uk is based in London, got quite a large variety there so I'll go there for a nose around once I've got the funds.

roguedna
05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I had the same choices last year. After reading (many reviews) I tried out both the CDJ350 and DNS1200 @ decks.co.uk (Sapphires in store). I also tried the CDJ 850 and DNS3700, I was tempted but had set my budget (bonus from work) and didn't go higher ;)

I've had a pair DNS1200 for nearly a year now. I'm happy with them for the most part and find them very good value for money. But as with most products/services until you really start using them its hard to find the good and bad points.

Some people mite not like the play and cue buttons but so far I've had no problems.

Now the 3900 is on the market Denon have stopped up****** the "Music Manager Software ( MM )" . Which has some good options but if they allowed open source code I'm sure some users could tune it :music: more.

If you do buy from Decks please google the best prices online from other suppliers first. Because Decks offer "price match" (on each product page), its simple to use, post a link and some contact details. Last time I used it, with in 24 hours I got a discount code to price match :lol:

I got a Pair of DNS1200 for £770 June 2011 (list price now £850) and my DNX1600 for £769 in December 2011 (list price now £849). They also offer a 2 year warranty with the option of a 3rd year @ a cost but if you don't claim its free (Cover plus). Some other e-tailers do offer 3 years cover for free, best to shop around.

At the end of the day read up, watch some you tube vid's and listen to feed back from users. But if you can, try both players out first before parting with hard earned cash.

Good luck :tup: